“Great Doubletree in an ideal location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town
Ranked #103 of 1,176 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We arrived at the Doubletree after traveling from the USA at about 4:00 PM. They took our luggage and checked us in promptly. With all apologies that our room needed another ten minutes to be ready we were invited to enjoy a beverage on the house.

The room is adequate but nothing special, but the location is very central. The concierge had the six pre-ordered museum passes so they were obtained for our touring with friends starting tomorrow morning.

We walked around and explored the neighborhood, finally returning to the Doubletree at about 7:00. After a very long day, a short night, and another long day, it was time to shower and relax, and call it a day. A pleasant surprise awaited us in our room from the Doubletree! They left us a plate of sweets and a plate of fresh fruit. This sure helped round out our “Dinner” for the evening.

Our first morning traveling friends arrived and were surprised their rooms were ready before 8:00 AM. Kudos to the Doubletree for getting them situated so quickly! Due to our Hilton status, our breakfast was complementary. I wanted our friends to join us but was quite taken aback when I learned that for those who are paying, the breakfast is 47 Turkish Lira per person. That was nearly $25 US. This was a nice breakfast, but it's not near a $25 breakfast!

Our second evening the Doubletree left us some parting treats in our room. Again, very appreciated. All the staff we interacted with seemed very pleasant. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
faik_alsac, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share these good comments.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town

Write a ReviewReviews (1,914)

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This was my first Double Tree experience.I would go back. The food was great, I loved the welcome cookie! Comfortable beds and a nice rooftop, lovely staff. Don't bother with breakfast - it's not bad but poor value and you can eat amazing stuff in local cafes. The location is perfect, no matter what you want to do in Istanbul.
I think that the staff should put guests directly in taxis as it's not outside the front door and I saw some taxi drivers trying to overcharge tourists and arguing with them. If the staff put them in and tell them to switch on the meter this wouldn't happen.
I usually refuse to stay in hotels without free wifi, that is my only complaint. It's not acceptable in this day and age.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that you had positive thoughts about our hotel and your stay.

I would like to say the reason the internet is charged is because the Hilton Hotels have an agreement with an internet server called ‘’Swisscom’’ for your safety. This agreement applies to all the hotels. On the First Floor, we have a business centre which is open 24 hours for our guests and free of charge.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel was clean, modern, and reasonably prices, service was also good. Much better experience then what I sometimes get in Istanbul and I would not hesitate to go there again any time. Did not like their Wifi policy though, paying first of all + paying for each device.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Telly2408
faik_alsac, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Reviewed 13 November 2013

on arrival reception staff were very friendly & efficient and we were in room within 5 minutes.
Room was clean & comfortable with all the necessary extras.
Breakfast was excellent with a large variety of choice(cooked,cold meats & cheeses,fruit etc) and again staff very courteous and efficient.
Only slight complaint , the alcohol costs

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share these good comments.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, departing yesterday.

The hotel is very well located for first time visitors to Istanbul looking to take in the wonderful historical sights, as I have just done. The people in Istanbul were great and overall, it's a terrific city to visit.

However, my hotel experience was completely ruined by one inexplicable incident. On the third night, after a long day out and about, I decided to get some take away food and eat it in comfort in my room. Upon returning to the hotel I was physically confronted at the hotel lobby door by one of their uniformed staff who proclaimed quite sternly that the hotel had a policy of not allowing take away food in the hotel.

Further, the hotel had supposedly written to all guests explaining this (not to me they hadn't and there was nothing in my room about this supposed "policy") after "a recent incident". Whatever that was.... The employee also declared that he didn't agree with this policy but was directed to implement it by Management. After an argument, he said that on this one occasion, he would let me take the food to my room!

I have stayed in dozens of hotels in my lifetime for business and pleasure, many of which were Hilton's, including some of the best hotels in the World and have never, ever, had such a policy declared to me. Nor have I ever been confronted in such an aggressive way at a hotel entrance where I was staying.

This confrontation completely soured my visit to Istanbul, my first, and, of the Hilton brand. I had just stayed in another Hilton the previous week in Europe and am booked to stay in another is the US in December. After that, I shall have to review whether I ever stay in a Hilton again. To be put in a position where one is uncomfortable about actually coming back to a hotel during a stay is simply unforgivable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy N

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay.

According to our Hotel policy and in terms of hygiene, it is not allowed to bring fast foods and hot foods from outside to the Hotel for your health & safety. We do have a tent card about it in all the rooms of the Hotel.

I would like you to know that this is a procedure regarding the comfort of our Guests. Because we care you.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Even though we visit Istanbul often, this was the first time staying at the DT OldTown. One of the Istanbul University campuses is right across the street, main religious buildings are a few blocks away and the Grand Bazar is less than a mile walking distance. However, there is no need to walk because the #1 Light Rail line is right in front of the hotel and it can take you across the river to the Asian side of the city. Get off right after crossing the river and take the Tunel that takes you to the famous Istiklal Caddesi Street. St. Anthony Puda Catholic church at no171 has a wonderful 19:00 Mass and we highly recommend the very tasty, solid service and reasonably priced LaFontana di trevi is up one of the side streets across the street from the church.

There are many wonderful restaurants, amazing number of shops, you can walk downhill to the new Marmaray subway line/station that goes under the Bosphorus and connects Europe to Asia.

The hotel's breakfast was very good with many choices for most tastes and the chefs are ready to please with eggs prepared anyway you would like. The poached eggs were some of the best I have had at a hotel.

The rooms are nice but make sure you inquire about street noise if you are a light sleeper. We stayed in 101 and it was very spacious but a bit on the noisy side as it is situated right above the main street.

Finding a good running trail isn't easy in the old part of town and they have dogs out if you run early in the morning. The best trail is along the Boshorus which is down the hill a few blocks from the Marmaray subway tunel station.

Room Tip: Be mindful of the street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul S

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I can echo what others have said. The reason I am not giving a higher rating is the food. It was fine at the breakfast buffet but other than that it was awful. It was overpriced and overcooked. Don't bother with anything labeled "beef". I ordered a steak sandwich and what arrived was thin dry shredded meat. Horrible. We also ordered a chicken entre that was pounded flat and breaded, deep-fried and again so overcooked...dry and greasy. For a Hilton property this is not acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
faik_alsac, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

We appreciate your positive comments, as well as your constructive feedback which I have already shared with the team and I will follow up personally. Apologies for any expectation that we may have failed to fulfill.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and appreciate your valuable opinions.

I look forward to welcoming you soon and try to show you our improvement.