Sumengen Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$523
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$629
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The smoke detector is missing, The walls are cracked, The ceiling is water stained, The shower leaks all over bathroom floor. No ice machine in hotel. No cocktail lounge or restaurant, Poorly maintained and cleaned! Breakfast is OK!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tatonka
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Not bad , not good.Good only if you use otel to come and sleep only.

Pros:
Near to historic part of city
Near to all sort of transport station
Breakfast is good.
Internet speed normal
Workers polite, and try to help

Cons:
Rooms very small
Rooms not as described
Elevator is small
Door lock system not work properly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for three nights recently and would caution other visitors to be prepared for a nearer 2 star experience.
The breakfast buffet is plentiful but pretty much everything else about this hotel is less than described.
The nearest Metro line does not run to the historic area ad it is necessary to use the trams instead (further away from the hotel) It is not very close to the main historic sites (as claimed) We enjoy walking but it was a good 30-40min walk to Sultanmhet district on quite uneven pavements.
The bathroom facilities were poor - a tiny shower cubicle which poured water all over the floor and a broken toilet flush. The in room glasses were never washed up when the room was serviced.
The stair wells had broken or intermittently flashing lights and the lifts were only able to take 3 people at a time.
The reception desk cannot be relied on to relay messages from tour companies - we missed a $70 per head tour as a pickup time was not relayed to us and the hotel were completely unprepared to accept any responsibility for this error. ($140 down on the trip)
Would be unprepared to recommend this hotel on a number of levels

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ByebyeCroydon
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Let me start by saying that I travel all the time for my work and I also have done some backpacking. I have stayed in different type of accommodations, anywhere from hostels to a Five-Diamond hotel. I can make a difference between reality and unrealistic travelers expectations.

It’s not a 4* like they say, it’s more like a 3*.

LOCATION:
We were there on a short stop, 20h. We had already visited old Istanbul so we just wanted a place that was easy access to the airport but with stuff to do around (shopping). We were very happy with the location as it met our needs. We took the metro and it took 25 minutes. Its direct line and hotel is at the last stop. It cost 2 Liras per person. It’s easy to purchase a token. All you do is put in your 2 TL, press okay and the token comes out. No need to put in a location like most European cities. Hotel is right across subway station.

All we wanted to do is shop and we were very happy to have the biggest mall in Europe only 5 stops away from the hotel. There was lots of American and European store. Also there was IKEA. Lots of family activities to do there besides shopping. If you want to look it up, it’s called Forum mall (http://www.forumistanbul.com.tr/Default.aspx). We ate dinner over there as they had lots to choose from.

ROOM:
Okay. Seemed clean and was also was modern. The shower is small and water goes all over the place but it okay because there is a drain on the bathroom floor. The water was hot and pressure was good. Internet was also pretty fast.

STAFF:
Nice, nothing special about them but not rude either. They are average, I had worse, I had better.

BREAKFAST:
Lots of variety just not what I usually eat (no toaster for bread, no yogurt). Lots to choose from though.

Basically, I think we paid a bit too much for what we got ($110 Canadian for 1 night). I would recommend this hotel but only if its cheaper. It’s worth about $75/night no more. I don’t regret booking this hotel but if I knew, I would have paid a bit more and booked the airport hotel at $140/night (it was a 5* I think) and took the train to the mall.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Banana111
Reviewed 10 October 2010

The Hotel is located near the Tram and transportation is easy, and the staff are very freindly and helpful.
my friends and i had a great time and i recommend it highly!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends