“Very nice small hotel”

Ranked #2 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Asia
“Very nice small hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

If you want to be around the Sultanahmet area, and the price is right--like when I booked several months ago, not what I now see on TA--consider this hotel.

The road where the hotel is located, Akbiyik Street, is/was apparently a backpacker's alley. You will see many young people pulling their luggage along the road and there a few places with the label "hostel" emblazoned across them. MS, Senatus next door, Byzantiium across the road, are one of several hotels along the stretch. At the end of the road where the hotel is located, there is a taxi-stand, which makes things convenient. Although I'm puzzled why 9 of 10 taxi drivers did not know the street.

So on the one hand, this means that there are a lot of shops and facilities catering to tourists. There is a laundry shop down the road opposite the taxi stand. There are a couple of tour companies on and around Akbiyik. Even a Turkish bath. There is a range of restaurants. The Balikçi Sabahattin is right and down the road from the hotel. Up the hill towards Sultanahmet are ATMs that can give you your cash in euros and US dollars.

On the other hand, it can get busy till pretty late. So if you do book a hotel along the strip, be sure the window is double-glazed. The windows of Millenium Suites apparently are.

Also on the same other hand, do not expect much by way of facilities. MS has no gym (not even an elevator), no pool, no shop, just a restaurant. Reception doubles as the tour booking desk.

There are only seven rooms in the entire hotel. In my book, a small hotel does not automatically a boutique hotel make. But it does make for a friendly atmosphere. Breakfast can be tailored to your taste albeit up to a point. It's very pleasant to sit on the patio for breakfast.

The room I had was not particularly large although I gather from friends who dropped by that it was large by Istanbul standards. It is not, however, a room to spend an extended period of time at work unless you can work on a square wheeled ottoman (there, wanted to use the word in talking about a place in Istanbul).

MS has comfortable slippers. Bathroom amenities are sufficient. The bathroom is a a little tight but comfortable. Water pressure is good. The shower stall's doors are water-tight. A small snag is the lack of a hook on the back of the door.

Service is the highlight of the hotel. Staff generally go out of the way to get you what you want? No bread? They walk to a bakery nearby to get it for you. No plums? They borrow from a restaurant. Twice. Booking a tour? No problem.

If the price fits, go for it. You may expect friendly service but nothing by way of facilities. And when going by taxi, stop at the Byzantium hotel because the MS signage is small and my car missed the hotel. Twice.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 July 2011

A really nice small hotel in the centre of the action. Large spacious rooms.Service is excellent.We had the 2 rooms on the second floor 1 for our children and the other for my wife and I.With out hesitation would gladly recommend if you are used to 4 or 5 star accomadation this place is for you.
Very central position close to al tourist attractions.5 minute easy walk.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have just returned from a 3 day weekend in Istanbul where I stayed at the Millennium Suites. I can happily say that this was one of the most pleasant stays I've had at any hotel.
First of all, the location is perfect for a first time trek into the beautiful maze that is Istanbul. It is located about a 5 mins walk from the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia and the plenty other sites nearby. Akbiyik Cadessi is a very cool street in the centre of Sultanahmet that contains countless restaurants and cafes where you can drink, smoke a water pipe and eat some very excellent food.
When I first arrived I was greeted by Alper (there are two Alpers, this was the long haired Alper) who took my bags and had a nice breakfast spread out so it was a good way to start my trip.

The owner, Alper (short hair), is a very welcoming and nice guy, I was late for breakfast one morning so he brought me out a Turkish coffee and we ate a couple pizzas cooked by the chef in the hotels Italian restaurant. They were fantastic, the chef used to live in Italy and it shows. I spent almost a year in Italy myself and the pizza brought me right back there! We chatted and had some good conversation as if we'd been friends for a long time.

I stayed in room 202, one of two suites on the second floor. The room I had was really great. It's surprisingly large and the bed was very comfortable. There's a flatscreen tv and the wireless internet was very fast.
The bathroom is also very good, everything is nice, new and modern. Not to mention the water pressure from the shower is fantastic!
Akbiyik Cadessi can be a pretty busy place in the evenings but I couldn't tell from my room, the windows are well sealed and I could barely hear a thing, I slept like a baby.

I would definitely recommend this place, Alper and his team really make you feel at home there, and it didn't feel forced whatsoever. The Turkish people are very welcoming and this hotel is definitely a perfect showcase of that quality!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
abu dhabi
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This is my first time also to istanbul,after a 4days trip from athens. This hotel is also nice and lovely, our 3 days stay'd here is wonderful.The location was near to all, you can walk around and explore the beauty of istanbul. the room serviced is fast, the room was a bit small but cozy.

new jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My daughter and I spent 6 great nights here and to repeat what previous travelers have said, this is a wonderful small hotel. The room and bathroom are large and extremely clean with lots of extra quality toiletries, the beds and pillows are extremely comfortable, air-conditioning works well and is quiet and the location is perfect. Only two rooms on our floor so it was quiet except for a little street noise. Lots of good restaurants and sights within easy walking distance. And the WIFI was free and reliable. But what makes it really special is the staff. I can't say enough about how accommodating and pleasant they were, from Alper the manager,( who gave us an extra tram pass he had) to the men at the desk who met every request quickly and extremely courteously. No one would let us carry anything up or down the stairs. They even held breakfast for us the first morning because we overslept. Plenty to choose from at breakfast and Arzu is the very best.....her smile and friendliness will make every breakfast the perfect start to the day. We missed you guys at breakfast the next day too and can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Twin bed rooms are on the front so it's a little noiser
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Tehran
Reviewed 24 July 2011

MS is a small hotel, run efficiently by a small and very friendly staff, who are conscientious and accommodating. Both the rooms we stayed in were spacious and well lit. All the basic amenities worked well. The location is great for accessing virtually every part of the old city. The stairs were a bit of a slog for my old man, so we moved to the one room on the ground floor: folks with dodgy knees and hips should therefore beware. But altogether we had a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking Akbiyik Street: lots of sound and colour at night.
North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The hotel is located close to all major attractions, and the street that the hotel is on is lined with restaurants (some very highly rated on TripAdvisor) and very lively at night. The room is nicely decorated and air-conditioned. The breakfast is quite delicious. The staff are courteous and helpful. Overall I enjoyed the experience and will stay here again. Just a note: skip the hotel transfer, which at 25 Euro is not worth the money, since taxis to or from the airport (Ataturk) costs only ~36 TL (or 15 Euro).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
MillenniumSuites, Manager at Senatus Suites, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking time to post a review to share your experience with the following readers.

We all have been so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and will choose our hotel again.It will be our pleasure to host you at our hotel as well.

Our service from airports is little more expensive than a taxi.Our service is really a labour sensitive work.One of us will be at the airport before your plane is landed to welcome and help you for your luggages.İf there is a delay with your flight We will always be waiting you there without any extra charge. This service is really not to make money .All of our effort is to create a perfect start for a enjoyable and comfortable accomodation So I believe in that Our airport service is always a good start for the first moments of your vacation or business leisure.

Istanbul is a big cosmopolit city so that is really good for my guests to travel with a good driver who knows the town and our hotel's adress.Many people do have big problems with taxi drivers and you can check it in the forums provided by tripadvisor.

Again ,thank you for your review.

Wish you a good day!