“Wow!”

Ranked #30 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow!”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

For those looking for a hotel in the old city, this location cannot be beat. It is just steps from the Topkapi Palace and only minutes from Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and the tram line. The hotel is clean and comfortable. Free wifi is much appreciated. The breakfast is extensive and freshly prepared (including fresh-squeezed orange juice). With just a couple of tweaks, however, this hotel can go from very good to great.

As noted by some others, soundproofing is not a strong suit. I could hear everything going on in the rooms around me. I'm still trying to figure out how the folks above me got a herd of elephants up the winding stairs. Fortunately, things quieted down at night and I had no trouble getting to sleep.

There were a couple of days when an unpleasant odor emanated from the bathroom. I figured out that if I kept the toilet lid closed, things were much better. I suspect that the drains could use a good cleaning.

The lighting on the stairs was a bit insufficient for these old eyes. Brighter lights on the stairs and in the common areas would be very helpful.

The lights over the bed are nice and bright, but a good reading light would be appreciated.

Finally, each day the housekeeper put all my things away into the drawers. I had piles of papers and books that were carefully sorted, medication on the bedside table, and other items that were left out on purpose. Seriously, if I wanted things put away, I would have done so myself. I didn't say anything to the staff because it became kind of a game with me to see what the housekeeper would do each day.

Now to the good points: As stated above, the location, free wifi, and a a nice breakfast. The real highlight, though, is the incredible staff. I've rarely felt more taken care of by a hotel. The young men at the front desk made me feel like I had a retinue of devoted sons looking after my every need. What can I say except that they were perfect.

A word of caution: the hotel is located around the corner from a street filled with restaurants that cater to tourists. Some are tourist traps. Research before choosing.

Thank you, Esans Hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank DadaCabaret
esanshotel, Manager at Esans Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Each piece of feedback is so important for us to monitor our service.

We are happy to hear that you liked your stay with us. Nevertheless, We would like to add some points:

Our hotel building is traditional wooden house.We have used polyurethane isolation material between floors and walls during construction. We have also used traditional colorful theme carpets on the wooden floors.It also creates nice authentical atmosphere as well as isolation.
In case of any noisy guests, our reception staff gently interfere the situation and kindly ask for silence.

Our cleaning lady cleans the room daily and changes the towels. Some of our guests likes very much to have tidy room after their tiring walking days in Istanbul. There maybe a misunderstanding since she is so sensitive about our guests' stuff. She would keep all your book and paper locations as in exactly original location after cleaning if our reception was informed about your opinion. We have definitely taken the note.

As a volunteer culture representative family, we do our best to make our guets feel real Istanbul footprints rather than only touristic activities. Therefore we are always happy to provide local restaurant and attraction information to our guests once we are asked.

Thank you for choosing us again.We will be happy to see you again in our Hotel.
Best Regards
Esans Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I was suggested this hotel by a friend. I was somewhat shocked when I was given a pink room upon arrival, but it turned out to be a fun experience.

The hotel is located in a good area, the room was very comfortable and uniquely decorated. Staff where pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good.

I warmly recommend this hotel visiting Istanbul.

Room Tip: Keep an open mind.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JNiclas
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed for 6 nights, and would highly recommend this boutique hotel for it's friendly and knowledgeable staff, great location near main sights, and clean room. Breakfast had plenty of Turkish options, and was always a great start to a day of touring. Staff was helpful in planning our activities and recommending options; they never failed to fulfilled our requests, including a last minute tour booking. The room and private bath were substantially sized for the price, and the decor was very tasteful, including plenty of space for 2 large suitcases, hanging items plus a desk/makeup table.
We would not hesitate to recommend the hotel, or visit again if our travels bring us back to Istanbul.

Room Tip: They will include breakfast with your stay, as well as help book your activities, all with a smiling...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reck0044
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and enjoyed it so much! I mean, you cannot beat the location...it is very close to several of the main attractions - literally, less than 5 walking distance! It is also very close to the bosphorous body of water - you can walk less than 10 minutes to get to a great running/walking track along the bosphourous. Also not far from the public transport system. Other than the great location, you will want to hurry and get back to the hotel to enjoy the beautiful and cultural essense of the lobby and room's decor. It was so beautiful and ornate and made you feel like you were spending the night at a rich uncle's well furnished house :) Breakfast was wonderful as well, fresh squeezed orange juice every morning and much more. Staff was friendly and helpful and sat down with each guest one on one to give tips for travel and explain maps of the city and such. The "eastern" hospitality was definitely evident in this family run hotel - if you've never experienced, it is delightful. Stay here if you want to be sure that you will have a great time and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank L E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The key points of this hotel are, location, the people working there and how cute and clean is the hotel. I find this hotel a perfect place to stay to visit Istambul. Enjoyed mainly the attention and its walking distance to the main tourist spots. On top of this the hotel is very nice and cute, the room is comfortable and clean and the decoration is very authentic. And good value for price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ifc1978
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Our stay at Esans was such a pleasant experience, I'm not sure I can find enough words to describe how great it was! Even before we got there, Engin worked with us to accommodate our ever-chaging arrival schedule, and was very quick to respond to emails. We stayed there for four nights, and the hotel even arranged for our pickup from Ataturk airport. The staff was very friendly and very helpful, and was always available when we had questions. And the location cannot be beat! It's literally a few steps away from the major historical sites in the city! If you are trying to decide between this hotel and another, choose this one. It was superb.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 303, which was cozy, but had a beautiful view of the Bosphorous.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tlaffredi
South Africa
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights n I would say its one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. It situated in the Sultanahmet area and the main sites are a few minutes within walking distance. The rooms are spacious and super clean. The staff are warm and welcoming and go beyond the call of duty to ensure that u are comfortable and that u enjoy your stay in Istanbul. They are also jacked up in respect of tourist information.The Esans team is truly amazing. The rooms are equipped with a mini bar , kettle with complimentary tea and coffee accompnied by slippers. In addition to this toiletries are provided. The rooms are beautifully decorated in Ottomon style decor with each room having a specific scent. A lovely spread for breakfast is provided. I was hooked on the yummy chocolate squares. All in all my stay was wonderful and upon return to Istanbul I shall return to Esans Hotel won't think of any other place.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Nahdiah
esanshotel, Manager at Esans Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Best way to monitor our service.

We do our best to welcome our guest. Their comfort is our first priority. Once they are happy, we are happy also.

We would like to see you again hopefully.
Warm Regards