“Excellent stay in Laleli”
Review of Darkhill Hotel

Darkhill Hotel
Ranked #368 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great hotel for business & tourism travels. Rooftop terrace is my favourite place. It's clean and cosy, with lovely design detailing. However, we had a tiny problem with the window opening, which was partially fixed by staff member.
Unfortunately, due to business stay we didn't have time to visit spa & relaxation areas.

Room Tip: We've stayed facing the water, but could only see a bit of it. Doesn't matter which room you...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Alissa_FDNA
DarkHill, Yönetici at Darkhill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at the Darkhill Hotel Istanbul.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at +90 212 638 89 00

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

The food is excelent : turkish + internationnal. The service is excelent too.however The room is little . A beautiful terasse from where you see the sea. It is near tramway station. After midnight you can come on hotel with "dolmus" (little bus).

2  Thank Faruk Y

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I visit istanbul for the 4th time in general the hotel is good with swimming pool and sauna with Turkish bath , the staff are friendly , the breakfast were good and the view of the restaurant is excellent , near metro and grand bazar 10 min big thanks to the receptionists and a staff mr unal who mades everything easy to us.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Mounirow

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Good location in that its only a 1 minute walk to the tram stops and 30tl gets you anywhere, which is good after a days sightseeing to get back without walking! 5-10 mins to Grad Bazaar, 20 mins to Blue Mosque etc.
Reception staff friendly and helpful although the map was twice the price than the local shop! Room ok, but the beds are very firm and not much clothes hanging space. Rooftop restaurant has great views over the sea and whilst I thought the breakfast was poor (not much that suited me) the evening meal was not only the best value we had over our stay in Istanbul but was very enjoyable. Spa area was ok but disappointed that it did not open until 10am and the steam room was not working.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catsailor2014

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Firstly the good points.

Great location, the tram stop is just a few steps away from the hotel, with regular services running until late both into and out of the City. The Grand Bazaar is a short (10 or so minutes) walk away, as is the Sultanahmet area - for many tourist attractions.

Our room was over looking the side street, it may not have been the best of views however it was a decent enough size for 2 people and relatively well equipped (mini-bar, safe, writing desk etc). The bed linen was clean, as were the towels and the housekeeping service was daily.

The breakfast area was on the top floor, with quite good views of the City and a varied selection of food that would surely satisfy even the fussiest of eaters.

The breakfast room doubles as the hotel restaurant and offers a wide selection of food and drinks in the evening, we only ate here once, but found the food to be pleasant enough, if a little overpriced - but that is to be expected in all hotels.

The restaurant manager and assistant manager (lady) were both very polite and welcoming, as were the young receptionist (male) and concierge.

Hotel facilities were sufficient, a small pool in the basement, with sauna and steam room (sadly not working during our stay).

Now for things I feel could be improved.

I found the hotel literature to be somewhat confusing - the swimming pool on the top floor is now not in use and forms part of the restaurant. The bar/lounge on the 1st floor no longer exists.

Apart from the above mentioned staff I found most others to be, well a little unfriendly and slightly moody - a smile every once in a while wouldn't go a miss.

We asked for advice from the reception regarding local places to eat, however they could not recommend anywhere other than the hotels own restaurant, which was a shame.

To use the pool you must wear a shower cap (I was aware of this prior to my visit), however I forgot to bring one. I asked at the pool and the assistant said no problem. Only after using the cap was I then made aware the cost was 13.50TL. I'm not against the charge as such, but feel the staff need to make any charges more clear to the customer.

My room was located very near to the housekeeping office, the staff were very noisy in the early morning and woke me up every day. Again I'm not against a little noise, but they should be more respectful to those who may still be sleeping at 8am.

That aside, overall I did enjoy my stay at the hotel, would stay here again and would also recommend it to friends looking to a centrally located hotel in Istanbul. It could be even better however if they ironed out a few minor issues, all of which are very easy to fix.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank pjboz06
DarkHill, Yönetici at Darkhill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very traffic around the hotel (but everywhere in Istanbul you will find that situation!).
Closing the windows, we slept very comfortably.
Not so far from Grand Bazar, 5' by foot, 15' far from Sultanameth.
We have found clean services, rooms and furnitures
Very tasty breakfast in the beautiful terrace.
All the staff is very kindly and professional but not apathetic.
Tramway-stop on the street bringing you to Sultanameth (old city center) or Galata-zone (new city center).
We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fede85Rimini

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I visited this hotel with a school group and we were very happy with it. The service was very friendly and efficient and the rooms nice. My husband and I and the other adult couple were given very roomy suites, which was much appreciated. Some of the students complained that they found the beds very hard.

The location of the hotel is convenient, especially to the Grand Bazaar.

We ate in the hotel restaurant for both nights of our stay and found the food excellent. The breakfast buffet was also huge and varied. The view from the top-floor restaurant is outstanding.

We would be happy to stay here again when we return with the next school tour group.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business