“Lovely location”

Ranked #551 of 1,148 Hotels in Istanbul
Prague, Czech Republic
“Lovely location”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here for a few nights in March and really enjoyed the stay. The hostel is in an incredible location with everything in walking distance. I was a bit worried about noise being so central but it was really quiet. The only downsides were the room smelt a little of damp and the breakfast was not great (I may be a bit spoilt as I am used to travelling with work in upmarket hotels so apologies for this). I have had a lot worse for this price and the overall cleanlisness was good so not sure where the damp smell came from. The owners were very helpful and friendly and I've recommended this to a lot of people going to Istanbul

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AdamMoore1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Spain
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Great place, perfect location and a very professional staff.
I spent 4 days in the hotel and I felt very comfortable and care. They adviced me very well about the city such as restaurants, places to visit, hamman, etc.
The breakfast is offered at the terrace, and you can have a nice view while you are enjoying the turkish breakfast.
Around the hotel there are a lot of restaurants where you can find so many turkish specialties. Also you can fin a lot of souvenir and coffe shops around the corner. in no more than 20 mins far you can see all the wonders that Istanbul offers: Blue Mosque, Tarkapi Palace, etc..
If there is a place like home, it must be Gulhane Corner hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 July 2013

When I read positive commnets on this hotel, I immediately cancelled my booking from other hotel and reserved a room to this hotel. During my stay, I got a nice room and recieved friendly service from the staff, all of them are willing to give thier guests a fantastic stay at the hotel, room is tidy and clean...yet small also with the toilet but it didn't bother me, who cares anyway, as I am always out for my daily tour and back to get rest...everyday they clean the room and toilet and changed my towels, with 24 hours hot and cold water, mattress a bit old yet still comfortable to use, and AC working properly, breakfast is great and served at 7:30am so you have time to have breakfast before leaving the hotel coz mostly museums and parks are open at 9:00am. Great location as it is near to tram station and walking distance to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Sultanamet Square, Hippodrome, Topkapi Palace, Istanbul Archeoligical Museum, Basilica Cistern, and Eminonu which you can easily get a ferry for your bosphorus tour. Believe it or not, I went to Taksim Square by walking only from the hotel through galata bridge, drop to galata tower, then walk at Istiklal Avenue til Taksim Square. I can say from this hotel you are at the center away from must see areas. Again you can walk from here to Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, Rustem Pasa Mosque til Suleymaniye Mosque, Mosaic Museum and Divan Yolu and Gulhane Park. Around the hotel, you can find souvenir shops, restaurants, pubs, supermarket and even haircut saloon so you don't have ta worry going far. Staff are always willing to help you for the direction and bus numbers for the places you want to visit and can even provide you a map for free, ask for the Old City Istanbul Cultural map as it is very informative. By the way, the hotel's wi-fi is really fast so you don't have to worry uploading your pics after your daily tour. It's my first time to visit Istanbul and I'm so lucky that I booked at this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel, its good value for money. If I visit Istanbul again, I will difinitely come back at Gulhane Corner Hotel.....keep up the good work guys...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I spent some time here and was pleased with it and the treatment I had from the staff.

It's in a really great location and the staff were warm and happy to help you. They state it is a family run hotel and you do get what you pay for but I was suprised after my experience and felt they exceeded my expections. I slept well and the breakfast was good in the mornings. The rooms were also cool. not like other places I have been...

Some people complain about the size of rooms but I don't know what they were expecting, it is a low budget hotel and you get great value..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for but the helpfulness and extra efforts by the staff add to the value. The toilet was a bit tatty but the staff did whatever they could for any requests. Thanks a lot Gulhane Corner !

• Stayed May 2013
London
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Positives: My partner and I stayed at Gulhane Corner hotel in May 2013 for 5 nights. The hotel is located in a great place - very central to the main tourist sites of Aya Sofia, the Blue Mosque (Sultan Ahmet Camii) and the Basilica Cistern. It is also very close to the Galata bridge, Gulhane Park and the Bazaar (both main and spice bazaars). For those that like to be at the heart of the city, this is the hotel for you. On our first night in Istanbul we decided to explore the city. We ended up walking a fair bit (nearly an hour) to Taksim - over Galata bridge and then through the main strip of shops and restaurants up to Taksim. We were amazed at how busy it was even on a Wednesday evening at 9pm. Gulhane Corner hotel is right next to the Tramway lines (Gulhane is the closest tram station), so you can easily get around using the transport system if you don't like walking. There are also many shops and restaurants in the immediate area around the hotel, so you don't have to go too far if you are hungry. They are a little pricey and very much catered for tourist. The hotel reception staff were very helpful and welcoming, willing to give directions or recommend places whenever we asked for some guidance.
Negatives: The reason I gave the hotel an average rating, despite its great location, is because there were a few things with the hotel itself that were quite frustrating. The room was very small, although adequate in most respects for a short stay. However, if we spent any length of time in the room it did get rather claustrophobic. The bed and pillows were not very comfortable, and on two occasions we had holes in our bed sheets. The bathroom was also small - it was impossible to wash your face or brush your teeth without getting water all over your feet. The shower leaked every time we used it and the shower door did not close properly. In summary, the room needed some TLC. As we only spent limited time in the room, it was bearable. Being so close to the tramway, it was a times a little noisy in the mornings but not too bad. The breakfast is very basic and may not be to everyone's taste. I think if we were to visit Istanbul again we would look at staying somewhere a bit further out, although considering the reasonable price this hotel was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the tram lines.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greengirl1982
cengizoguzcano, Manager at Gulhane Corner Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Each review is so important for us to be able to monitor ourselves.

First of all i would like to inform you that we are always pleased to receive feedback both negative and positive as we can see what we have and what we are doing .

During check in of our guests, we always mention that if there is any issue, we will be happy to hear from our valuable guests and immediately have action about it. Such case could be related with our Hotel or not. It does not matter. We highly pay attention to all issues of our valuable guests regarding their vacation.

We would like inform you our hotel is in the heart of the old city and there are strict rules about constructions. We tried to keep originality of building during renovation. Because of restriction of construction all rooms do not have same size , some rooms are biger than the others. But generally we have a comparatively good room size for Old City of Istanbul.. If you would have preferred as ofter mattress, had you informed us we would have taken measures to make it more comfortable for you. As a couple traveller, you were given a standard size double room of the hotel.

All our equipment and furnishings, such as the towels, sheets, beds, seats etc., are also brand new. You complained of the poor quality of the mattress which we can assure you was also new and of a good quality. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned everyday by the housekeeper with careful attention and replace sheets ,bed linen ,towels facecloths with a new one. If you informed us about the shower door proplem definitely we will take care for it

Our breakfasts are of a superior quality and variety to that provided by some of the other similar hotels in the area. The breakfast is prepared daily by a housewife. And we offer tradational turkish breakfast traditional Turkish tea, filter coffee cake pancakes with fresh fruit pie fruit teas etc…

Each one of our hotel team do their best to provide the most comfortable conditions for our valuable guests and solve any issue for them even it is not related with our Hotel.

We take your all suggestions to our records

Finally, we are very sorry that your experience was not as positive as our other guests. Please accept our sincere apologies for not having exceptional experience and please be assured that we have addressed the points carefully.

Gulhane Corner Hotel Team
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I recently completed a three night stay here and was more than satisfied with my experience. The staff is wonderful. They are eager to make your stay as comfortable as possible and have excellent advice for visiting sights that are off the beaten path. I was warmly greeted every single time I entered the building and immediately asked how I was doing and whether or not I needed anything. When it came time to transfer to a new hotel, they had a cab at the front door and ready to go in 10 minutes (something I had a terrible time arranging at the Kalyon Hotel). The rooms are small but comfortable - the hotel is an outstanding value for the money. Not only would I recommend this hotel, but I plan on staying there again if I am ever back in Istanbul.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business