“Very Close- too close”

Ranked #240 of 1,154 Hotels in Istanbul
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Very Close- too close”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is stunning. Old school style. From it's ancient lift to staircase. It is very close to everything, restaurants, tram, funicular etc.

But - it's very location in an upcoming trendy area is the problem. The people drink & party all night and are rowdy in the streets in the early hours. There were 2 guys, 1 had a drum the other a violin, they would musically escort people up and down the street- ALL night (& early morning). They say it's only bad over weekends meaning- it's worse ( a lot worse) than the week (which is still noisy). The suits especially are subject to noise. At those prices I can't believe they don't try something anything! Extra thick curtains etc. So every morning we woke up exhausted. The staff were sweet but couldn't really do much. Oh yes- they are busy with construction across the road until 10pm at night. JOY

Room Tip: Do Not choose a suit- they're apparently noisier
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bcutler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have never before had a holiday ruined by my choice of hotel, that is until now. The hotel is well located for shopping and site seeing. There is a great number of restaurants within a 5 minute walk. Unfortunately there is also a night club next door. I read all the reviews of this hotel before booking and road noise was mentioned but never did I think it would be any where near as bad as it was. The first room we stayed in was beautifully decorated and very large. The room was very warm and we were unable to turn the heating off. We arrived at 11:00ish in the evening and I was shocked from the moment we entered the room at the amount of noise coming from the night club. I thought it would probably quiet down after midnight but no such luck - it kept going until 5:00am Not just a bit of back ground noise, literally you can hear every song that is played in the club along with the thump thump of the base. There are street performers that entertain the club goers with drums and other instruments which sound as though they are in the room with you!! Then add the constant hooting of traffic to the mix. I am not joking when I say we did not sleep at all that night. We were on the 5th floor which made no difference. The next morning we asked to be moved and the reception told us we already had the most quiet room. We spent the next two days walking around like zombies not having very good time at all due to lack of sleep. 3:30 am the third morning my husband lost it and marched down to reception and demanded another room. Whilst he was down there other people where complaining as well. I had to pack all our belongings in about ten minutes and moved down to another room. The only room they had was a smoking room which was unacceptable but due to the fact that the room was at the back of the hotel and had no windows it was quieter. We tried to get some sleep by siting in the arm chairs as non smokers sleeping in a bed that stank was not an option. We decided that we would check out early in the morning and find another hotel. The reception said the hotel was going to be less full in the afternoon and they would find us a quiet non smoking room. That afternoon we were given another room. We were so tired by this stage we gave up on so much that we wanted to do just so we could go back to the hotel and try get some sleep in the day time. A bit smaller than the first but nice and clean. We were assured it would be quiet. 11:00 came and the noise started, probably even worse than the first two nights, no sleep. Please be warned -- this hotel is beautiful and it is located well for shopping etc.. but you will be shocked at the level of the noise in your rooms. It makes no difference how high up you stay. The staff were polite and did the best they could but at the end of the day whilst that night club is in operation it will carry on being a complete disaster.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, if they have a window you will get no sleep from 11:00pm until 5:00am
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 176charles
Zurich
Reviewed 22 January 2014

First of all I wanna point out the few positive things about the hotel:
When I made the booking through a website, I got a confirmation from the hotel and offering me at a reasonable rate a transfer from the Airport to the hotel and vice versa which I reserved. Worked very well, great. The Location of the hotel is fantastic. Close to the main shopping street direction Taksim. The room they have assigned me was very nice in size and nicely decorated the same thing for the bath. But that's it.
We asked e.g. for 2 extra towels, the answer was no and that they exchange the towels only every 2 days ! The following morning I called the reception to ask again and they said that the housekeeping will bring me some. After 20 minutes of waiting, I went to breakfast and when I came back to the room. No towels. The receptionist said in a more or less unfriendly way that nobody was in the room and they took them again. What a stupid answer.. I could go on and on. Except 1 Lady at the reception was more or less rude and not guest oriented at all.The "Spa" was a joke a small sauna and steambath and the hygenic wasn't granted as the lady from the Spa-Reception walked all over with her high heel shoes. I am not a fuzzy guy, but this hotel I will avoid... In the same street there are many other hotels to choose. I give 2 stars due to the nice room

Room Tip: If you insit to stay there, make sure you have a room on a hight floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very nice hotel indeed. Beautiful view on Istambul City and marmara sea while enjoying delicious breakfast.
Very helpful staff and such a dedicated Guest Relation responsible (Seda) , she was excellent, very helpful and patient and gave us the feeling we had a friend in this first time visited city.
Comfortable room, neat and tidy, very enjoyable.
The hotel is very near metro station and tram, and few steps away from Istiklal street and Galata tower
In few words, the hotel was perfect for me and my husband, we stayed 4 days last month and keep thinking of going back again quiet soon.
Highly recommended hotel
ML Selwan

Room Tip: Best pick up rooms on high floors to be as far as possible from the noise of the street
Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teddylou
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I've checked the latest reviews and agree with all of it. With this quality of service, staff, and the confort and equipment available, it's actually surprising that Palazzo Donizetti isn't ranked yet amongst the 200 best hotels in Istanbul, according to me it should be in the top ten!
Me and my girlfriend had a wonderful time there, the room was superb, the spa facilities were fantastic, the staff was always friendly, smiling and helpful, which is not always the case in Istanbul. Hopefully I'll have the chance to come back soon!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have stayed in Palazzo Donizetti several times. During summer, autumn, because I love Istanbul in every season...

The hotel is very comfortable, clean, well equipped. Ideally located - you can walk not only in the Taksim area, Istiklal Cad, but if you are fond of walking you can go even to Sultanahmet and see the main tourist attraction.

Probably the most attractive feature of this hotel are the always courtious, pleasant staff.
And do not forget to visit hammam - a real treat for body and soul.

Thank you, Palazzo Donizetti Istanbul!!!

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic - do not choose economy rooms, their windows face other walls of back yard...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank IvanElIvanko
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. The hotel is first class! We had a wonderful stay in this beautiful hotel. The services provided were excellent. The restaurant was on the top floor with a spectacular view of Istanbul. We felt very comfortable and safe in this hotel. The location couldn't have been better. It was close to shopping, night life and the views were outstanding. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us. We changed rooms and they took care of everything. Our luggage had been misplaced for 7 weeks and the hotel gladly took them back and kept the luggage safe until they could be returned to us. Seda Kucukbenli, Guest Relations helped us greatly and put us at ease. We would stay here again and also highly recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Request the corner suite rooms....it is well worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple