“Unprofessional and unhelpful staff. Won't be back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Moonstar Hostel

Moonstar Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Istanbul
Moonstar Hostel
Ranked #521 of 1,190 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Vancouver, Canada
“Unprofessional and unhelpful staff. Won't be back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Summary: Unhelpful and unprofessional staff. Felt unsafe staying here. Wished I could have cut my stay at Moonstar short.

The staff were neither helpful nor professional. All three staff live (read: sleep) onsite, the night staff in an empty bed in my room, the other two in the lounge. Two of them openly smoke in the reception and common area in spite of my having wondered about it. That would be fine (as I didn’t feel compelled to spend time in these places) except that the smoke permeated into my room on the second floor. Then there’s the perpetual mildew smell in the WC and shower, which needed the fan to run24/7.

I felt like I was inconveniencing them whenever I interacted with them. Coming from an overnight bus, I asked about checking in early. “No. Room not ready. Maybe at 8:30am.” Okay, understandable. Came back at 10:30am. “No. 11.” Checked in at 3pm to find that I was the only one in my room. When I reported a plugged toilet to one, he came up, tried to flush the toilet and said “not my responsible.” They offered no helpful info about touring Istanbul but just gave me a bunch of brochures, curtly told me to look through them and that they’d make the reservations for me. In short, they didn’t seem to care about my comfort, just my money (as reinforced by one staff who jokingly said while I was checking out and paying that this was his “favourite time”.

I can tolerate a lot (including social awkwardness or even nuanced cross-cultural interactions), but I just didn’t feel safe staying here. People entered our room at all hours of the day and night. (My first night, one staff just barged in and took away the covers to each bed without any explanation. The night(?) staff frequently slept in one of the empty beds during the day. A complete stranger came in like he owned the place to rinse his hair.) The room is locked by a key code, so anyone including past guests could just walk past the poorly monitored entrance and access the room. My only saving grace were the storage lockers.

I’m perplexed by the high scores given for Moonstar here. A fellow traveller described the place as chill. Sorry. A bit too chill for me.

Room Tip: In June could've just arrived w/o reservation
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Great staff that are super helpful. They made us free food, free hookah, and fun dancinng! I would recommend this hostel for both a quiet visit or to have a good time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lexy424
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

I went to Istanbul with a few friends for 5 days and loved the Moonstar Hostel. The staff were very friendly and were eager to help us discover Istanbul. The breakfast was wonderful, and the roof top terrace was awesome. It is a smaller hostel, so we were able to interact with the other guests. It was one of the best traveling experiences I've had in my entire life.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank meggie961
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

My boyfriend and I (from Australia) spent 2 nights at the Moonstar hotel. We booked a private room with ensuite thinking we would have a double bed or at least two singles However, when we arrived we found it was a TINY room with bunk beds. It said nothing about the bedding when we booked, so it's somewhat our fault for not looking into that.

The beds are extremely uncomfortable and squeaky and I was woken many times during the night.

The room is downstairs and is FREEZING cold and has no windows.

We're opposite an 8 bed dorm that has a security code entry that beeps SO lound when the others are entering.

We can hear word for word what is being said in the room next door as well as in the reception on the floor above us. Definitely not good when the people next door have a big night and are coming and going at all hours of the morning.

We're also unsure of how to work the shower...we're working on it.

The people that work in the hostel are LOVELY and do anything to try and help us out and have lots of tips on where to go, places to see, things to do.

There is free breakfast (Olives, bread, cheese, cucumber, tomato, egg, nutella, jam, etc) which is quite good and an indoor rooftop bar/breakfast area with a nice view.

5 Lira beers and 10 Lira waterpipes in the upstairs bar at night, which is quite good.

Also Free internet which is great!

The location is fantastic !

The mix dorms dont look too bad if you want that sort of thing but I would definitely not stay in a Private room here again.

I've stayed in many hostels around the world, and unfortunately would have to say this is the worst for private room.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

Loved the breakfast on the terrace every morning. Friendly staff. Perfect location. The owner even made fish one night for every one and we had a party on the terrace with a view of the sea, beautiful twinkling lights, and lots of laughs. Would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CottonHair
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I was evacuated from Cairo and randomly picked up this one for my one night stay in Istanbul. I was surprised to find out that this stay was a very nice one. location is just right, you can walk to some of the major attractions in old town. the room and beds were clean and well set. Free Internet (and net-book PCs) were another convenient and breakfast is just great! I did not get time for enjoying pipe smoke this time. Strongly recommend for budget travelers.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jk2mhm
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

The Moonstar Hostel is just great! Clean rooms and beds, nice staff and nice hostel keepers, there is also a yammie breakfast every day...just amazing and this for a very fair price!
The place is right next to the main attractions(like 2 minutes walking), right on the restaurants street, very secure. The breakfast includes a slice of a really nice cheese, bread, Turkish tea or coffee, boiled eggs, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, salami and so on.
The rooms have air conditioned, shower inside, bathroom outside...nice place, nice people.
Thanks again! We had a great time!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends