“Awesome view, but only so-so food”

Armada Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #159 of 14,910 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My friend read in his Lonely Planet book that this place was the best in Sultanahmet (although this area isn't known for spectacular food), so we decided to splurge and treat ourselves to a nice lunch at the rooftop restaurant.

Fantastic views of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, and the sea. But the food was quite disappointing. The cold appetizer was okay, my cherry juice was good, but my fish did not taste fresh.

Beautiful presentation, but we've had much better food at lower prices in Istanbul. I guess we paid for the ambiance and the view, but the food was not spectacular.

Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

I have visited several terrace restaurants during my trip to Istanbul, and in my opinion this offers the best view, with AyaSofya and the Blue Mosque being the background of an enchanted scene. And the view is the same even if the weather is poor, as the second covered terrace offers the same panorama.

The menu is wide and well explained, both fish and meat. A set-typical dinner menu is proposed @ LT 79 per person, not cheap but includes also liqueur and Turkish coffee (but wine is an extra) and an amazing main course of several kinds of meat (it is in the à la carte menu, too). A dinner for two comes at LT140 (no wine). The quality is remarkable, the presentation of some dishes might be improved.

The service... Well, apart from few exceptions (and the nice multilingual Ipex is one of them) I can say that it seems these people never learnt to smile. Polite, decently efficient, no doubt. But a smile, especially from the maître, would be appreciated, time to time.

A nice experience.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

My friend and I had dinner at the Armada Terrace restaurant on our first night in Istanbul (we were staying at the Armada Hotel). We had only a light meal - a tray of mezes with bread and wine, and everything was great quality. Our server was helpful and friendly, and made some good recommendations. We were given our first Turkish coffee at the end of the meal (on the house!) and with the wonderful views of the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia as we ate and looked forward to our trip, it was truly a memorable meal.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We went to this terrace restaurant on the first day of our Istanbul vacation... there was great food, great view, great atmoshepere, but... I was puzzled by the price we had to pay... never again had I been in a situation where I had to pay for a starter double just because we were 2 people and wanted to share it... We ordered Chef's traditional warm starters tray, which said it cost 30 TL...per person... What if 4 people wanted to share this starter? Would they have to pay 120TL???? It does not make sense and I honestly think that this is not something that a good and professional restaurant would do. It was a price trap. I would never go there again.

Armada1994, Manager at Armada Terrace Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear esteemed guest, we thank your kind words and fair assessment about our Terrace.
Coming to your reaction to the price of "Chef's Starters Tray" and attribution as "Price Trap" we have to announce our depreciation to every reader of this comment here that this is really unfair.
That tray can be prepared for 1 to 4 persons upon the guest's request. The standard tray is prepared for two persons and the price in the list is for one person. But if you ask a tray for four persons then the amount of the meals in the standard tray is doubled and the list price is 30.- TL X 4= 120.-TL.
The reason of this way of pricing is to facilitate of sharing the bill if the guests want to do so.
It seems that there was a miscommunication between you and the waiter. In any case we will review our printed menu and add this explanation too!
Thanks again and
Kindest Regards.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We ate here on our last night in town and have no regrets! The rooftop restaurant was a great view of the Asian side of Istanbul and the Blue Mosque, and was a beautiful place to watch the sunset.

We all had the Istanbul degustation menu, which was delicious though an ENORMOUS amount of food for three people (you could fill up on the first course of mezze alone). The food was tasty: stand outs are the fried eggplant mezze and the grilled lambchops and veal with mashed eggplant. At 76YTL per person for all that food its also a pretty good value.

They also had a good wine menu. We were appreciative that when we asked for a suggestion they didn't automatically jump to the most expensive bottle. We chose a Turkish red whose name I forget but which was very good.

Our waitress was also very enthusiastic and polite. It was a great way to end our Istanbul trip!