“Great location”
Review of The Marmara Taksim

The Marmara Taksim
Ranked #87 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Pros:
Very good location, close to the metro station and Istiklal Cadessi.
Friendly staff speaking good English at the front desk, good service - check in done @ 9 AM

Cons:
Small but clean bathrooms for a 5* hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
TheMarmaraTaksim, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at The Marmara Taksim Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you were able to take advantage of our perfect location. We hope to have another chance to welcome you in our hotel in not too distant future.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,332)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The marmara is a great hotel in a very nice location. Breakfast overlooks Taksim square, and is very elaborate. Our room had a view of both the Bosphorus and Taksim square and was good but a bit small. Upon arrival, we were put in a smoking room on the 2nd floor, but at our request immediately transferred. The staff was very kind and helpful. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Michel W,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your excellent stay at The Marmara Taksim Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that we made you feel welcome and that you enjoyed our luscious breakfast with the best view of the Taksim square. I gladly shared your compliments with the staff and all of us here look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Istanbul again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my second trip to Istanbul in six weeks on business. On the first trip I stayed at the Grand Hyatt (great hotel!) For this trip I was attending a conference at the Marmara Taksim so I stayed at the conference hotel. I was not impressed. I found it difficult to get anything I asked for - many of the employees speak little or no English (this was not a problem at the Hyatt). I had a great room with a view of the Bosphorus, so that was nice, but the room had no security latch and twice (in only a two-day stay) the housekeepers walked in within seconds of knocking and before I could get to the door.

I was given a nice corner room, but it had a door to the adjoining room and I could hear every word spoken and every sneeze, etc. through the door. On the other side of me there was a bathroom and I could hear everything in there too! On both sides of me it sounding like the people in the adjoining rooms were in my room. I had to sleep with headphones on because the first night the people on both sides of me were together and kept going between rooms, letting their kids play right outside my door, etc. until midnight.

While the front desk staff was pleasant to deal with, I don't think they understood most of what I was asking of them or if they did, they and their colleagues couldn't follow through. I am very allergic to down (feathers) and had put in my reservation that the down pillows needed to be removed. When I checked in I asked about this and was told it had been taken care of. When I got to the room there were four down pillows. I called the operator who transferred my call to the front desk. I explained my situation and didn't think the person I spoke with understood what I was asking about. They sent someone to the room who spoke no English, and I handed him the four pillows and asked for two foam pillows. Hours later, they never arrived, so I had to sleep without any pillows.

The next day I went to the front desk and again asked for foam pillows and ice. I got the pillows, but never got the ice.

Finally, the wifi service was terrible. Since I was on business, I had planned on doing work in my room, but found it impossible. I think the problem was with the corner room being far from the router. I could only get service on both my laptop and phone if I was in the bathroom or standing beside the door.

Given that I had just had such a good experience at the Hyatt, I can't recommend this hotel. The price difference was not much, so I should have gone back to the Hyatt where I had a very good experience. My biggest issue with this hotel though is the lack of a security chain or bar on the door. There's nothing you can do to prevent the hotel staff from walking in on you!

Room Tip: Corner rooms with a view of the Bosphorus are very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such detailed feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that we haven't been able to deliver the levels of service, that you have rightfully come to expect from The Marmara Taksim Hotel. Your constructive feedback has been noted and shared with the team and will be used for improvement of our services.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The first thing that comes to mind about this hotel is it's location - right on the Taksim square. A central location and walking distance to several shops, hotels and pubs.

The staff here is very efficient and helpful, the room service especially quick. Though there was some renovation going on in this place, the disturbance was never beyond 6 pm, which was not much of a bother. The rooms are well appointed and comfy.

Overall, a good hotel and fully worth it's price

Room Tip: Any room is a good choice. The ones ones facing the square are better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMarmaraTaksim, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience at The Marmara Taksim Hotel. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were able to take advantage of both the facilities within the hotel and of the dynamic ambiance surrounding us. I have passed on your praise to the staff and all of us here would love to welcome you back when you happen to be in Istanbul again!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great Hotel great service and rooms were comfi. Excellent location foresight seeing.central location made life easier and cafés clubs around Beyoglu was really worth seeing and spending time but be careful and don't forget to bargain!!!! Istiklal str. Is amazing with all these shops with reasonable prices and kebab houses with home made meals worth of trying. Make sure you travel with Tram. While you r @ Istiklal Str. It's a good experience.

Room Tip: Which ever room you choose you will not go wrong
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pembe S

Dear Pembe Stanley,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your kind comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. The Marmara Taksim Hotel is perfectly located in the beating heart of Istanbul, just as you mentioned and we just love it that our guests love it and keep coming back to us! Istanbul is a city to be experienced over and over again and we would be delighted to host you when your travels bring you back.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

One of the best hotels i stayed in Istanbul, the staff are extremely helpful, the rooms are clean and spacious, the view from the room was beautiful, the breakfast is extremely rich and yum yum! Location is very convenient as well , would definitely recommend this hotel, and definitely stay there again..

Room Tip: There are some rooms with city view, amazing!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Zenasr
TheMarmaraTaksim, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very grateful for your wonderful review of our property. The Marmara Taksim Hotel enjoys a great location in the most vibrant district of Istanbul and our guests find it very convenient to reach all the main attractions of the city from here. We are glad you were able to take advantage both of the lively neighborhood around Taksim square and the facilities within the hotel. All of us here will be happy to welcome you again whenever your travels bring you back to Istanbul.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed in the Marmara Taksim Hotel a couple of times and each time it was a disappointment. In my recent visit in April, we traveled as group from New York. I wanted to reserve this hotel due to its location and prestige but I was wrong. The check-in process was cumbersome and not very welcoming, then I decided to offer my American guests a welcome drinks at the rooftop bar and decided to meet them at the top floor of the hotel at 7:30PM. Before I meet them there, I wanted to check the location myself but when I went to the rooftop I was welcomed by a horrible attitude of the staff and I was asked why I was there???? I was stunned and told them that I was there to check the place before I meet with the high ranking officials of my university from New York. I was told not to walk around and the lady at the rooftop bar/restaurant followed me to make sure that I was there legitimately. I asked her whether she was an employee of the hotel because her attitude was so rude and unwelcoming, she told me that this is a private entity and they rent the space from the hotel. There was no indication that this was a separate entity but even they are a separate entity, they are using the same elevators and common spaces at the hotel and the attitude towards the hotel guests is unacceptable. I called the front desk and complained and the manager of the hotel send me a fruit basket to the room which was a nice touch but I would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel because of the overall attitude issues of the staff.

I wish it stopped there but no it did NOT! Since I was traveling in many different cities in Turkey and my final stop was going to be Istanbul again, I did not want to carry my heavy luggage with me. I asked my cousin who lives in Istanbul to meet me at the hotel so that I can give him my heavy luggage and he can help with packing and unpacking, when we arrived at the entrance of the hotel, I was questioned about bringing my cousin to the hotel and they did not allow my cousin to help me with my luggage from the room. They asked my cousin to stay in the lobby and they told me that the bellboy will help me which I refused. My cousin and I was treated with such disrespect that there is no excuse for such behavior.

The hotel is under renovation, the rooms are very old, dated, and basic and it does not deserve the $300 dollar price tag. There are more beautiful hotels across the street and around the corner in Taksim area that it does not make sense to stay in this hotel any longer.

In addition, they list sauna and other facilities on their web page but we were told at the check in that there is construction in the facilities and sauna if not available. I wish they listed that on their web page.

Lastly, due to construction, my American guests called the front desk multiple times about the noise and the drilling and their request was ignored with an apology and they were offered no solution but keep sleeping with such disturbances and they were not happy.

I love the Marmara chain and my most memorable stay was in the Marmara Bodrum but I would stay away from the Marmara Taksim until it is improved and I would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: The hotel is under construction and renovation. They do not mention this on their web page, make sur...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Oktay S
TheMarmaraTaksim, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Oktay S,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay at The Marmara Taksim Hotel. First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that we haven't been able to deliver the levels of service, that you have rightfully come to expect from The Marmara Taksim Hotel. As you kindly noted, the rooms are tired and that is the very reason why there is a renovation at the hotel. Rest assured that we are discussing your review in detail with every department involved, to ensure, that we can learn from it and improve. I would love to gain more insight about your experience. If you don't mind would you kindly let me know how I could best get in touch with you at your convenience?

Thank you in advance for helping us to get better.