“Over night in Istanbul”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Hi, just got back from cruise in Med. Stayed at Basileus Hotel on an overnight in Istanbul. The hotel was close to all the sites. The staff was excellant and very helpful. No elevator but no question on handling our bags up the stairs to our room. The room was clean and quite (in the back).Breakfast was free and very good. Free transportation to the cruise ship.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back. It is on a busy street. Also download directions to the hotel for the driver...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank podsRI

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Now the UK winter's coming on we're looking back on the travel highlights of the year and most memorable is our first trip to Turkey in May. This was made particularly memorable by the luck we had in selecting the Basileus Hotel as our base. On arrival we were offered a seat and a cup of tea while we registered, offered advice and information matching our interests and then shown to a clean and comfortable room where we spent the next 9 nights.

The staff were smiling and friendly, the breakfasts excellent and the service and support as good as we've experienced anywhere in the world.

The hotel is situated in Sultamahmet, 5 minutes from the Bospherus shore in one direction and 5 minutes from the Blue Mosque in the other. A walk up the hill past the Blue Mosque puts you on the tram line within easy reach of all the main attractions.

There are several restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel plus corner shops, a bakery, a Thursday fruit and veg street market and a Turkish bath house. The restaurant opposite the hotel is particularly good and modestly priced.

The proximity of several mosques means that sleep can be interrupted by the Imams' calls early in the morning but we enjoyed that, and where in Istanbul can you not hear the call to prayer?

We got a good deal on our extended stay but the prices are generally in the mid range and certainly value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John A
Reviewed 23 November 2011

i've stayed in too many hotels to mention, and Basileus is without doubt the best of all. i chose the hotel because of other Tripadvisor reviews, and it was the right choice. the friendliness was evident from the first email enquiry i made, and the guys at the hotel: Yusuf, Ekrem, Muharrim and all the others, were just outstanding. they were always helpful, always ready to give the best advice about where to go, how to get there etc. These guys were just fantastic. The other guests i met during my stay, also shared this view, and were also very friendly. The hotel itself is very close to Blue Mosque and most of the top tourist sites in Istanbul. The room was ideal for me, and the breakfast here was also fantastic. this hotel is highly recommended - and i just hope they can accommodate me when i visit Istanbul again !!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank iannsa
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Hi I recently spent 4 nights in this hotel and I have nothing but good things to say about it. As I was meeting a friend in instanbul the offer of free transfer from airport on arrival was great and the hotel had their guy at the airport waiting for me. Checking in was simple and the guys offered to bring me through the map of the area. Breakfast was included and it was fab , large buffet of food and also omelette offered . Rooms were very clean and spacious . The location is great just 10 min walk or so to the centre of the old town and all the sites. Great restaurant across the road from the hotel for those who do not want to do any walking. Overall the hospitality at this small hotel was excellant and very personal and if i ever travel of istanbul again I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on the ground floor and you can hear some noise from the lobby,if you prefer to be on...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnnieDrog
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Sensational sums it up. We had a family room which was perfect for the 4 of us (2 boys aged 9 and 11) and stayed for 3 nights in October. Very very clean, comfy and enough room for us. The staff were amazing and always ready with great ideas. Everyone was so friendly. Breakfast was wonderful and the omelettes the best ever. We walked everywhere. If only we'd had more time here - will just have to go back. Lovely little deli over the street for late night snacks and beverages. Our taxi driver took a while to find it so suggest maybe printing a google map before you leave home with location to show the driver. If travelling with kids suggest the 1.5hr turyol cruise rather than the longer one - sit on the starboard side - a good deal at 12 TL.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor which is from memory the 3rd floor. It was great being well above the st...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Travelinwkids14
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Hi,

Couldn't recommend this hotel enough. The guys were so helpful and patient - showing everyone maps, offering advise and what to do and where to go.

I arrived on an overnight flight and was told to go down and help myself to some breakfast and check in when finished! The rooms were lovely and clean and the hotel had great WiFi.

It was a great location a short 10 minute stroll to the old city and all its attractions and loads of lovely restaurants and the tram line also. Breakfast was lovely continental style with a great omelette and a Turkish coffee (to kick start the day).

Had a great trip to Istanbul made even better by choosing to stay in this hotel.

Thanks guys!!

Elaine

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank laineymcdublin
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I read excellent reviews about Basileus Hotel on trip advisor and believe me I was not dissapointed. I stayed there solo for 3 nights and had an amazing experience. The staff , owner Muharram, Yusuf, Eko and the others are the best I have met on all my travels. The hospitality is nothing short of exceptional. Breakfast was awesome with many choices to satisfy everyone. Location is excellent within walking distance to all the top sights. My room was spotless and really comfy. I love this hotel and can't wait to return in the Spring. Special thanks to Muharram for all his assistance during my my quick stay. You made it possible for me to see all the important sights in such a short time.
Believe me you will NEVER miss your early morning flight while staying here. Thank you .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo