“Great Hotel - we will be back”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #22 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Sydney
“Great Hotel - we will be back”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed 1 night at the Basileus Hotel in January 2012 - sadly not long enough! The hotel is very clean and tastefully furnished, and an excellent location! Close to the major sights and very quiet. We enjoyed the breakfast, and found the airport transfers fantastic, as we were 4 adults travelling together, with a reasonable amount of luggage. The front desk staff were extremely friendly, efficient and helpful!! As we only had 24 hours in Istanbul we really appreciated the time they took to suggest what options we had for seeing the sights.

Loved the hotel. Loved the location. Excellent value for money. We will be back - next time for a longer visit!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PRLCH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Me and my family (7 of us) stayed in Basileus from 11-17 Feb 2012. And each of us are extremely happy finding this hotel. I do even think one page will not be enough to describe all experience we've had. I did even need to edit my previous review as I thought I missed some points that I must add so everybody will get every information as detail as possible. Here we go:

First, They respond to my email very prompt. Since i was taking my mother and parents in law (age range 60-70 and one with wheel chair) with me, I need to ensure everything are planned properly. Ekram and Yusuf always replied to my email right away. Though we are 5 hours different. At early time, they've already making feel at ease. Ive told them that I would bring 3 elderly and they were not able to use stair. And Yusuf and Ekram booked me 2 room in the first floor near the reception area. So this more than easy for my Mom.

Second, I didnt need to pay any advance to secure my booking. What I need to do is to give my credit card number. But they didnt charge anything on my card. I think this is reasonable enough to ensure my booking is confirmed. At the end, when I pay cash, I've got 5% discount

Third, cannot beat the location!!! especially for the first timer that needs to see the must have site such as blue mosque and hagia sophia. Its literally very close.. its probably only need 3-5 minutes walk depend on the pace. Just watch out that istanbul is an up and down steep hill city. So you need to bring your most comfortable shoes. Moreover, what I love about the location is that its not too loud and its not too quite. Its like living in a decent comfortable neighborhood. Around the hotel, i can find mini market, cake shop that sell turkish delight (so i dont have to go to spice market or grand bazaar), coffee shop, variety of restaurant, meat shop, fruit&vegetable shop, hamam (where you can take turkish bath) and even barber shop. Love love love that area so much

Fourth, they serve a great breakfast. This is my favorite time of the day. They serve variety of foods from bread, cheese, eggs, sausages, pancake, french fries, variety of fruits, vegetables, olives, cereal, ham, some nuts, several option of topping sauce, juices, coffee, tea, some turkish delight such as halva (my fave) and cookies. And they will ask you every morning whether you need to have some omelette (it comes with tomato, ham or cheese. or you can mix it all). They will also ask if you want to have a turkish coffee. My mom and sister loves the foods so much they always take long relaxing time during breakfast.

Five, facility is more than enough for the value you pay.
- The room comes with AC, TV with cable that has more than 100 channels, shower (and bathtub in my room - 206), amenities such as shampoo, soap, shower cap, big and small towels for each person, etc., safety deposit, hanger, free mini bar, wifi with good connection even in the second floor, decent bed (i was actually anticipate a hard bed as I read in couple of review.. but turn out its not hard.. its decent enough for me and my family).
- They also provide one computer in the reception area where you can use it any time. Also in the reception area, there is always available hot water along with tea, coffee and sugar. Omer, always guard in the night shift.. so we always felt secure anytime
- In the reception area, they provided guide book , travel books, travel magazine that you can read at any time. My father in law loves the reception area, it felt like sitting in the living room at home he said.. Sometime my mom, mother in law and my sister chat in the sofa in the alley with our pijamas... !!!

Sixth, they offer a free airport transfer when you arrive, no matter how many groups you are. And they provide 60TL for a big van that fit 7 people (i wrote it wrong in my previous review, its not 60 euro but its 60 turkish lira.. I just want other traveler to get the right info).

Seventh, and this is the MOST IMPORTANT ONE.. their HOSPITALITY and SERVICE is superb and unbelievable... let me list it down one by one:
- Once we arrived, we are greeted my Muharem.. and he right away explained us on how to get our bearing on the city. He showed us the city map and circled down every must have sites to go and explained us how to go there and the best time to go there. If you have specific interest you can tell them as they wont hesitate to give some advise. For example, my husband has an interest in military and war. Muharem advised us to go to military museum and watch some military concert that happened every day at 3pm. Things like this we would probably not get from regular tour agent
- Every time we came back to the hotel.. each of them always ask how was our day.. and we ended up having a nice long chat. I really appreciate this very much, as I've got many information about many things such as life in instanbul in general or even about religion. For example, one day we came back from the whirling dervish dance in Hodja Pasha and I told them I would be more appreciative if I understand the meaning behind. And they right away explained me not only the meaning but also the history behind. I never forgot about this, as this is why I love traveling.. understand people's culture and custom.. thank you everyone to widen my horizon
- Prompt assistance when you needed. One day the tour that I booked online (separately not from Basileus) was not as we expected. So I must stop the rest of it for the sake of my Mom's health. I turned to Omar and wonder if he can get me a van to rent for one day so we can relaxly go around the city by ourself. It was last minute request actually, requested a night before. Without any fuss, Omer booked us a car. And some other day, I did even worse.. I asked Omer to rent another car again.. I requested in the morning to be available 3 hours after. Amazingly, the car is available without a fuss. Thank you Omer for this (both my mothers were so in love with him btw=). We also asked them if they can help us to find a decent bosporus tour (also last minute request) that has a slow pace that will be managable for my mom (who has trouble walking). Muharem and Yusuf had a discussion with us about this and list down what sites that weve been to and what site that we havent been to. And they suggest me the most efficient tour that fit the time, money and my mom disability. They told me in detail which one is worth to go which one not
- Every time we need information about eating they will always provide you with one. They can even help us deliver some food from the resto in front of the hotel. Its literally delivered to our room
- The hotel has no stair.. so if you have many bags they will help you to take it to your room.
- The room always spotlessly clean when we arrived.. I thank the cleaning ladies there.. they are literally cleaning every corner... !!!
- As an indonesian, we always eat hot spicy food. So, whenever traveling, we always bring our own hot chilly sauce. Based on our past experience, we rarely found any chilly sauce provided in other B&B or hotel. Surprisingly, on the 3rd day, we found a big bottle of chilly sauce provided during breakfast. OMG!!! my husband was so happy as we almost ran out of chilly sauce. This little things such this is the reason why we fell in love with this hotel..
- The last one is for me an evidence where they want to do extra mile to have your stay comfortable. One day, my mom had an idea to cook Indonesian food. So we asked them to lend us their kitchen. And they had us using their kitchen helped by mr Asref. We ended up sharing the foods with them and had a conversation about how to cook it.

So to sum up.. (since I can go on and on talking about the good things on Basileus), staying in Basileus is like staying in our home for me and my family. Its where we felt at welcomed after a tiring day, relax and at ease knowing that everything is at their service and the most importantly its where we felt the greatest turkish warmth that I've never experienced in other place before. Its a feeling that you're always being taken care, just like your own family or friends take care of you...

Hence, if you want to get the depth of Istanbul.. its people, its custom and its culture... this is the place to stay...

For everybody in Basileus: Yusuf, Muharem, Omer, Ekram, Fatih, Eko, Asref and the cleaning ladies... Marvelous job.. Best regards from my family... up till now, they are still talking about you...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
19 Thank LilaSepang
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Wonderful hotel. Clean, fantastic service, exceptionally welcoming and a great breakfast!

Really conveniently placed for a short 5 minute stroll to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia. Would recommend the Basileus to anybody stopping in Istanbul. Incredible value too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Garmar_12
Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Basileus Hotel. They arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport, provided us with tons of information for touring the city. The hotel is impeccably clean. The staff is more than helpful, greeting us and chatting over a cup of tea when we returned form our visits.
The hotel is very well located, close to all major sites, in a safe area, and across a small and delightful restaurant (great for local dishes after a long bay/inexpensive). A nice note: try the apricot preserves at breakfast..... a delight followed by a cup of Turkish coffee.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChloeMichigan
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Prompt communication with the hotel prior to arrival. Good website to check out too.
Location = central for Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia & public transport. Approximately a 5 minute walk.
Great first impression from day 1. Hotel looks great from the outside. Rooms are spacious.clean with excellent facilities i.e safe, fridge, TV, heater/air con & hairdryer. Rooms are cleaned daily to an exceptional standard.
Spoilt for choice at breakfast.
Free wifi is an added bonus -works well.
Lastly, the staff were lovely, knowledgeable, helpful, attentive & very welcoming. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Istanbul. We'll be back! A must.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank R B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel will raise the bar when it comes to any future accomodation you stay in. Not only is it inexpensive but its service is second to none. Free wifi and mini bar (let's see if the chain hotels will pull off the same). You will also experience the hospitality that this great city is famous for. A highly reccommended hotel and will definately be back on any future visits to Istanbul. So please, forget the Four Seasons or Hilton and stay here!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank businesstrader
Georgia
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The Basileus Hotel is a well-maintained compact hotel located within easy 10-minute walk of major visitor sites; Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Haghia Sophia, etc. If you stay three nights, free airport pickup is included. The hotel staff provides the very best personalized service and will eagerly point out visiting options and restaurants. Lobby has public computer available for internet use.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple