Basileus Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$56
  • Breakfast included
Eresin Hotels Topkapi(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$72
  • Pool
Yasmak Sultan Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$123
Agoda.com
US$292
US$214
  • Restaurant
Armada Istanbul Old City Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$138
  • Breakfast included
WOW Airport Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$72
US$192
US$146
  • Breakfast included
Istanbul Golden City Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$117
Diva's Hotel(Istanbul)
US$49
US$41
1,867 results
All reviewsblue mosqueturkeymade to order omeletsturkish coffeegrand bazaarwithin walking distancehome away from homeminute walkno elevatorold citymajor attractionssmall hotelhagia sophiastreet noiseyogurtairport pickupwonderful city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 November 2012

First trip to Turkey. We ended up staying at this hotel twice while in Istanbul. I'd give it a solid recommendation:

Pros:
1. As has been mentioned countless times before, every single person who works at the Basileus goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable and to be helpful. If you've never visited Istanbul before, I cannot overstate the importance of having local people helping you out in planning your adventures.

2. The rooms are very clean and are of a decent size. We are a family of four and did not find ourselves too cramped.

3. Location. You are in Sultanahmet. You can walk to a good number of the main things to see. What you can't or don't want to walk to, you are close to the tram and the tram will take you there.

4. The beds are some of the best that we've encountered anywhere. Ask my wife... she's never happy with hotel beds, but loved these ones.

Cons:
1. I feel bad about mentioning this as a con as it's not due to the Basileus, but it's due to the location. While location was a pro in placing you in the heart of the action, it becomes a con at sleeptime when the streets can be sometimes very noisy. While I haven't stayed at the other hotels in the area, I would guess that they would all have this issue.

2. Breakfast. In general, it's very good. It certainly offers a large assortment of items, and they will even make you omelettes if you desire. Personally, I will not eat sliced meats and cheeses that are not kept refrigerated (or on ice) until just prior to being consumed. As these items are not kept "cold" there, I chose not to enjoy them. That said, there are plenty other items available due to the selection. Note that room-temperature meats/cheeses seems to be common in Turkey as I've also experienced it elsewhere, but nonetheless, food safety experts will tell you to avoid.

I'd go back to the Basileus in a second if I ever wind up back in Istanbul.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TheCann0n
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed at this Hotel in Istanbul. Great location, easy to walk to the Blue Mosque, Metro and restaurants. Yousef greets you at his desk and offers tea, maps and an orientation lesson on arrival. He and the other staff are there to answer all your questions. The room was very clean and besides the breakfast buffet they offered tea and pastries in the lobby. The desserts at the store down the street are delicious. A great place to stay at a great price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

First, I must say that I use TA to plan all my trips. This is how I find the Basileus Hotel. It is in the Sultanemeht region, so near all the major attractions. As they were filled my fourth night, I tried a place in the Istikal region, and could not sleep half the night because of the nosie. Opt for this hotel, and you shall have quiet most of the night. I did hear traffic noise, but I was facing the busy side street.

Book directly for three nights or more and they will pay for your airport transfer. I booked through a booking agency and lost out on this deal.

The hotel is clean and feels quite luxurious. The best part of the hotel is the front desk staff. The guys will go out of their way to make sure you have the best stay possible. Ysuf and Ekrem were so helpful to me, from buying my tickets online to the Hagia Sofia and the Topkapi Palace, to hand delivering my Nexus 7 tablet which I had left in the safe. I can never forget their kindness.
Thank you guys! Also, Ysuf recommened a little hammam right down the street which was memorable.

The breakfast was wonderful, with fresh omelets made daily. With plenty of fresh fruit, toast, and other items, I was full all day long. You can't beat it! All delicious!

There is a computer to use at the front reception area, so it was nice to check in with family and friends. Also, welcoming tea all day is a real plus, but it kept me up at night until I figured out the caffiene was probably doing this.

Overall, I felt like the staff bent over backwards for me and they became my new friends. I almost hate to give this glowing review for fear that there will not be a room next time when I visit, but they deserve the truth being written. You won't regret staying there! Great water pressure, ortopedic (hard) beds which had a down comforter and the best guys anywhere helping you!

Room Tip: Be sure to take one of their business cards with you, in case you get lost and need a helpful pointer in the right direction.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

This is a nice little gem. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Good value for money. Location is superb for sightseeing. The person I travelled with had forgotten his bag with his passport in the taxi. The staff immediately helped and drove him to the taxi station. Within an hour they found the bag which was a miracle considering it's a city with 20 Million people. I felt that the staff genuinely cared about their guests which makes a difference when you are travelling. If you stay here you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The family running it, the breakfast, the room and the location are all these reviews say. Paid about US$70/night for a double room. Perfectly safe, very rustic neighborhood economically fueled by tourists, peppered with small hotels, cafes and tiny businesses. Small stores everywhere. Many abandoned buildings (some legitimate ruins!) scattered around, but always felt safe - just adds to the area's charm. Lots of restaurants in the area, moderate prices with dishes aimed at the tourist trade. The Stone House restaurant 1 block up owned by 1/2 Kurd family, so some reasonably priced Kurdish dishes on the menu.

Stop by the small family confectionary (brightly lit) 1 block down on opposite side of street. She insisted I add to my small selection a couple of their little square, flat chocolate-covered pomegranate & pistachio treats, saying they will change our lives. She was right - we were the poorer for having to go back for more.

If you use the tram to reach some of the further destinations, riding is simple. Cards are available or multiple trips, or just buy one token per ride from a machine at the tram stop, 3TL per token. Machine is in English and accepts TL coins and 5, 10 & 20 TL bills and gives change. Drop the token into the turnstyle. Trams are clean but crowded so expect to stand.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends