“Excellent place to stay in Istanbul”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #22 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was the first time my wife and I have travelled to Istanbul and we felt so happy that we had chosen to stay at the Basileus Hotel. We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights.

First of all, the staff is wonderful. They made us feel as if they really cared about us having an enjoyable vacation in Istanbul. Our room was spacious, very clean, and located close to major destinations which we wanted to see, such as the Blue Mosque. Although the hotel itself seems to be a bit off the beaten path, once you get to know the way to where you want to go, you will find that you can easily walk to many places from this hotel.

The breakfast is fine, although after 3 days of eating the same breakfast we would have liked to have more variety of food. Still, we felt the breakfast was acceptable to us.

Although we stayed in Turkey for 4 nights, they were booked the first night so we stayed in another hotel. Thus, we had a chance to compare hotels and the Basileus Hotel was by far more superior in every way.

If you are in Istanbul, I highly suggest that you stay at this hotel, primarily because of the people working there. They were wonderful!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 114, I believe. It was on the first floor near the lobby. We liked it very much.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zan P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We are on our third night at the Basileus and couldn't be happier. It's is fantastic place to stay. It's great value for money and its very close to most of the major tourist attractions. The staff could not be more helpful. Their advice is spot on and they really want you to enjoy yourself. We have not found it noisy. I couldn't recommend more.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for just one night during a 22 hour layover I had in Istanbul. Omar at the front desk was beyond amazing, marking a map of places to go and see so I could take advantage of what little time I did have in the city. The lobby of the hotel and also my room were beautiful architecture + decoration wise. Breakfast was magnificent and possibly the best I've had in my past month of traveling, with a delicious assortment of cheeses, breads, fruits, and more. The only issues I had were that there were many little flies (and one big one) in the bathroom, and the shower/sink seemed to be leaking water on to the floor. Also, while it is very close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, the hotel itself is a bit in an alley which was intimidating as a female traveling alone. It was a magnificent stay overall though, and if I return to Istanbul I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank A L
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed a total of 9 nights at the Basileus hotel in Istanbul, and wished we could have spent more time there. Omar , Ekrim and the staff were the friendliest and most helpful people we have ever stayed with in 30 years on the road....They went out of their way to help with maps, suggestions where to eat and shop (and even better, where not to!), arranged a friend to pick up some museum passes for us to save standing in line, arranged theatre tickets and generally sent us in the correct direction. The hotel is in a peaceful little street away from most of the noise of Istanbul, and walking distance to all the sights . This place is absolutely perfect, food at breakfast was great . My brother in law and his wife were flying in from Italy to meet us and the staff gave them breakfast, even though they were not staying there! I would suggest booking directly with them and using their aiport transfer service for free.
A great little restaurant, Stone House, is just down the street, lovely friendly Kurdish people, great food and cold beer. After a couple of visits you are greeted like an old friend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel, along with being a great deal, felt like a little sanctuary in the crazy busyness of Istanbul! The lobby is beautifully decorated and a nice place to hang out before sightseeing, and, as many other reviews state, Omer and Ekrim were especially helpful. We religiously used the marked-up map that Ekrim provided. Omer also recommended a delicious restaurant that we really enjoyed. They were both so sincere and trustworthy, which was a relief compared to the vendors on the street! The breakfast had great variety and the afternoon snacks were a nice touch. However, the wifi only worked in one part of our room, and we heard a good amount of street noise from our corner room even with the windows closed. These details did not outweigh the good parts! Also, the laundry service is super easy and cheap, and the hotel is a 10 minute walk (albeit an uphill one, which is expected in Istanbul) from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the tram to other sites. I hope that someday I will find myself returning to Istanbul and staying at the Basileus Hotel once again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is a fabulous hotel. It is very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff are truly amazing. They go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. It is a family run business and they try extremely hard to ensure everyone staying at the hotel is well taken care of. The breakfast that comes with the stay is one of the best I had while staying in Turkey. The always have cookies, coffee and water out for when you get back from a long day of sightseeing. I would most definitely recommend this hotel! Also, there is a jewelry maker that is close to the hotel, about a 5 min walk, i think the address is Kadirga Limani Cad no:117. His name is Semsettin Terzi and his store is called Ayasofya Silver. He designs and makes the jewerly himself. If you are looking for buying some interesting silver jewerly, he is definitely the one to see! Also, the prices are reasonable, much more so than the Grand Bizarre.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 1,015
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a really lovely time at this hotel and would recommend it to all.The staff were so helpful and gave us a lot of help in what to do and where to eat. Bedrooms were first class with every thing in that is needed for a comfortable stay. Nothing was to much trouble for the hotel staff and breakfast was great.

Carol and Mike

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple