“Good location and value”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #21 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel is located centrally in the Sultanahmet area. About a 10 minute walk up the hill to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. The breakfast was good with made to order eggs. The rooms were spacious and clean. Water bottles were provided free of charge as it is ill advised to drink the tap water in Turkey. The staff was very hospitable and tried to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

My only complaint, which was out of the hands of the hotel was that we had loud music playing outside our window until about midnight both nights we were there. We were located on the ground floor and faced the back of the hotel. Make sure you bring ear plugs!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Just came back from Istanbul after 10 days vacation. We spent one night at Basileus Hotel because other days the hotel had been fully booked so we had to book another hotel. When we arrived the front desk people are very nice to us and Osman told us if we have any problem and need help during our trip, we can contact with him. The next morning we need leave 4:30 am. They were not only ware us up but also packed sandwiches for us. When we came back from our tour to Istanbul, we lived in a different hotel and need charge our computer but the hotel does not have US adopter for the charger. I went to Basileus Hotel and asked them if I can borrow their adopter. They said no problem and lent it to me even without ask me the deposit or which hotel we were living. Osman let us use it until we leave Turkey. He is very nice and helpful. I am very moved by his help. If you want to stay a place like home, Basileus Hotel should be your choice at Istanbul. It is very close to all attractions. And Osman will like your brother and take a good care of you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OldRat
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The staff were extremely helpful, hard-working and positive, the breakfast was really great, the room was a good size and comfortable, nothing to criticise really. It's also just a few minutes from the Hagia Sophia. It's nice to stay in a place that helps take the hassle out of the heavy duty tourism that a place like Istanbul offers. In a city where you need to have your wits about you while out and about it's good to have one angle covered. The recommendations and advice the guy on reception gave me were spot on, wish I could remember his name to praise him. Will go back there if I go to Istanbul again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank j d
Reviewed 2 January 2014

During our stay in Istanbul, we called Basileus Hotel, our temporary home. This family owned hotel will ease your travels with smiling faces, heartwarming service and truly personal touch to what I categorize as a 5 star service, 2 thumbs up. The hotel is conveniently located in the Sultanahmet area, 10 minutes walk to The beautiful Blue Mosque , Topkapi palace, Ayasofya and the tram line.
If you ever get to meet Omer who not only works in the hotel but also helped built and renovate the hotel, you are in luck. Such sincerity in service and hospitality in welcoming guests not only to his hotel but to Istanbul, Turkey is quite refreshing.
Prior to coming to Istanbul and booking a hotel, we realized there were so many other hotels but the stay at Basileus Hotel was truly a pleasant one. Omer and his brother Ekrem truly operates the hotel with with warm Turkish hospilatility.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 3_Chats_Noirs
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was actually interested enough to read the few mediocre reviews before I wrote this, because I usually set a pretty high bar.

My laptop power cord shorted the first day of my workcation, necessitating a consideration to return home early.

This is what the manager Ekrem did the minute I got there to inquire - immediately called a number of laptop shops in Istanbul to try and get one shuttled over by end of day. He then sent a staff member to visit a local electronics mart, where he found the shorted piece and brought it back to see if it would restore power. It did!

He was also honest about not needing a tour guide for key sights within the city and insisted I have the free breakfast on the day I arrived.

The service I've seen in Istanbul is pretty indifferent when they're not trying to sell you something. Basileus is a solid 3-4 star hotel, but they literally treat you like family - the attitude service you usually get at 5-star hotels.

The breakfasts are better than a $200 a night place I stayed at with equally great ratings. Simply put, they earn their ratings.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank orielview
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We spent four nights at the Basileus with our two teenaged daughters. We stayed one night in a very expensive hotel in Istanbul and the Basileus was superior to the other place. I would stay at the Basileus again without hesitation. Omar went out of his way to help us. The hotel is located within walking distance to the major sights. The breakfast was good. Everything was very clean. It was a great experience and a good value.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a perfectly average place owned by people who are very good with customer service and marketing. The location is pretty good - but not any better than that of 10 or so hotels in the immediate neighborhood. Our room had holes in the wall from ripped out wires and the towels should be replaced. The breakfast was indeed good.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple