“Everything you read is true! Great stay!”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,161 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We selected this hotel based on the great reviews and we were not disappointed.

Rooms were very comfortable, bed was great, breakfast was sufficient and they will he happy to cook you an omelet to order.
The only drawback is the stairs - if that is an issue for some people. But I suspect this will be the case in most hotels in this area.

We arrived late at night, and it was no problem. Omar was even kind enough to provide some food to us.

The restaurant in front was fantastic. Ate there twice and was great!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank B C
There are newer reviews for Basileus Hotel

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Helpful staff!!!

I stayed Basileus 5 nights.
Room is good, breakfast is good.
Especially hotel staff are very friendly, kind and helpful.
I had big problem.
I left my bag in Ataturk airport. It is my mistake.
I told my problem to hotel staff so they made effort to solve my problem.
Airport staff was very bad but hotel staff didn’t give up.
They called airport staff many times, arranged transfer staff to get my bag.
They used much time for me.
Finally I got my bag one day before I go to Japan.
Very very very thanks to them.

Whenever I go to Istanbul, I will stay Basileus.
I think they are friend!!!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank hironori523
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Location is good - rooms are clean & everything works - unlimited never ending very hot water - security safe in room - minibar, kettle & cups etc - generous quality breakfast buffet........ so it's all very comfortable and pleasant but what makes it special are the people running it. From the guys at reception to the cleaning ladies, breakfast waiter and concierge they all couldn't be more friendly, helpful and caring - genuinely concerned to make sure you enjoy your stay and your sightseeing in Istanbul.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mevans08
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We spent 2 nights last December and the service we received from the staff of this small hotel was excelent. Well located and very good breakfast.

They help us organizing transport from/to the airport and also hiring Gabriel as walking tour guide trough Istanbul. Everything at a very good level and good price.We will go back to Turkey and definetely stay at this charming hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank carlosfbarrios
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I spent five nights at the hotel with my parents in December 2013. My sister made the booking for us and liaised via email with Omer and Ekram, the two brothers who did most of the day-to-day running of the hotel. They assured her that they would take care of my parents and I throughout our stay and I can happily said that they did not fall short.

From helping us daily to decide where we should visit to providing excellent restaurant recommendations, both brothers were brilliant. On one night Omer himself took us to a restaurant you wouldn't find in the tour guides, followed by the most amazing rooftop view of Istanbul, also impossible to have found ourselves.

My parents hit it off with Omer and Ekram's father who took us out on one afternoon to see some hidden gems in the area- rug shops, handicraft shops and lunch at a small kebab place in the middle of the Grand Bazaar, popular for locals. We ate a lot of kebabs on our trip but these were the best (and cheapest!)

My brother who was travelling to Istanbul on business stayed at the W hotel (supposed to be the most 'hip' hotel in Istanbul). On one of our five nights, my brother and parents swapped hotels and the feedback from both was that they preferred the Basileus hotel over the W hotel. They found everything at Basileus more personal and less pretentious than the W hotel. They even preferred the breakfast which was prepared each morning by a lovely young couple who work at Basileus.

The rooms we had at Basileus were definitely brilliant value for money- all cleaned daily, peaceful to sleep in and very spacious (we took the interconnecting rooms on the ground floor- same as lobby). I've noticed that some people on here have complained about the noise of vehicles ruining their sleep but my parents and I did not feel that way. Yes at times you could hear a vehicle passing but the hotel is situated on a narrow, cobbled street not in some purpose-built multi-story luxury hotel complex so you must be realistic about your expectations! The road added to the experience of the true Istanbul!

If I were to travel to Istanbul again I would book this hotel in a heartbeat. My parents, both retired and me in my 20s loved it- the key was the helpful, humble and very caring nature of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Zaibbf
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This family owned hotel will ease your travels with smiling faces, heartwarming service and truly personal touch. Basileus Hotel easily deserves a 5 star for Service. The location is ideal for those who do not mind a 10 minute walk to the beautiful Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace, Ayasofya, the tram line and the Basilica Cistern. We enjoyed a nice dinner at Buhara 93, (5 – 7 minutes) walk from the Hotel. There is a small grocery store in front of the hotel which carries some nice choices of dry Ottoman red wine.
We met Omer who took time to introduce us to the local sights. After a long day at work, he accompanied us to a local fish restaurant called “Palukcu Balik Lokantasi”. It was great, eating as a local, with a local. Our arrangement to a local Historical Turkish bath, “Hamami” was also arranged by Omer. He also introduced us to Mimar Sinan, by the Sultanahmet Mosque. What a view while enjoying your hookah. These experiences were just a snippet of the welcome we received at Basileus Hotel, Istanbul.
Sometimes sitting at the lobby sipping Turkish tea and observing the interaction between Omer, his brother Ekrem and the Hotel guests amazes me because it is such a pleasure to see someone sincerely loving what they do as ambassadors to Istanbul and also their hotel. I remember wanting to go to a dancing Devrish performance and they took turns calling the local institution to gather additional information for us. What a service.
We will definitely return to Istanbul because 8 days was not enough but more importantly, would recommend you trying out Basileus Hotel. Here is a chance for you to experience a boutique hotel, with great value, great breakfast spread, homemade tea-time treats but more importantly a place to call Home away from home. If you get to meet Omer and his brother Ekrem, you will recognize sincere service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Will_Travel_Lite
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I am happy to say that the excellent quality of service at the Basileus is consistent. I stayed at the Basileus two years ago and recently returned for another vacation. I was again pleased with the convenient location, being a short walk away from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. The place is well maintained - the decor is absolutely lovely, making for a very comfortable stay.

Most important was the service: Omaar and his brother did everything possible to make my time in Istanbul enjoyable. They were extremely accommodating. Being a solo traveler can be a bit boring at times but these two brothers took good care of me, always ready with suggestions on where to go and what to do. I would recommend the Basileus to anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable trip to Istanbul: great location, great service, great hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo