“Great stay at this family run hotel!”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
Province of Seville, Spain
“Great stay at this family run hotel!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

What is there left to say about this great little hotel in the Sultanahmet that has not already been said? We spent 6 nights at the hotel in January, me and my husband. We asked for, and got a room in the 3rd floor with a little balcony after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. The room was clean, big enough, bathroom large and shower pressure excellent. I was also very happy that they provided little slippers for your use, as my husband always forgets to pack his. The secret of this hotel is the warmth of the family that runs it. From the moment you step inside, you are made to feel welcome, like family. There are snacks in the lobby, and breakfast is included with your stay. The spread has cereal, toast, fruit, etc. and you can have fresh omelette as well. We spent time in the lobby getting to know other travelers as well as the staff. One of the uncles, Muharram even took us on a walk one night, covering several miles and showing us the real Istanbul, including his favorite kebab place where we had dinner which was incredible. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Blue Mosque and AyaSofia. I really liked this place, and the people and we can't wait to return. For sure, we will stay at this hotel again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kemkem C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in basileus hotel with our 2 kids for 4 days. We had a family room that was perfect for our family. Hotel was so clean and staff was very friendly. It doesn't looks like that it is our first visit for Istanbul. Omar was so kind and helpful, he guide us about all attraction near by and help us to make plans how to visit them. He also recommend different places to eat, specailly Zia Baba place that had very delicious food. I read so many comments about this hotel then decided to stay here and I found all comments right about it. It is on walking distance to many attraction. Hotel staff made sure our visit is comfortable and enjoyable. Ohhhh how did I forgot about the best breakfast buffet I ever can have and they also made fresh omelet as per your choice. I would recommend besilues hotel for my family and friend as well as my next stay at Istanbul.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Sumairaazeem
New York
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Let me preface this review with the following: five circles does not mean this is a five star hotel. We stayed here after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. We requested a received a room on the 3rd floor. The room was spacious, clean, and well decorated. The bathroom was spacious and clean. We had plenty of clean towels every morning. Our room also had a balcony that overlooked the street. We stayed four nights. While staying we met two of the partners, both were very polite, professional, and pleasant. Because our stay exceeded 3 nights the hotel provided complimentary pick up from the airport, a 15 minute ride. Arrangements were made for our return to the airport and we paid five euro per person for the shuttle bus. Our room also came with the buffet breakfast that includes freshly made omlettes, variety of fresh juice, coffee, tea, sweet breads,cookies, and fruit. Every evening, we looked forward to sweets and fresh tea in the lobby - complimentary. We were quoted a price a 50 euro per night, and when we checked out there were no extras on our bill.

The Basileus is a small boutique hotel in the tourist district. The location is wonderful - the building is located a few streets off the beaten path, so it's quiet at night, yet a 2 minute walk to the main streets.

If staying in the historic district of Istabul I highly recommend The Basileus.

Room Tip: We chose the third floor, and found that it was quiet enough to get a good night's sleep. Judgi...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelBuff97
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Basileus Hotel. It was wonderful to be greeted at the door with Turkish tea and delicious sweets. The hotel staff was extremely helpful is giving us ideas on everything from where to go for dinner to mapping out our day. Our rooms were simple but very clean and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was fine. They gave us a late checkout which we greatly appreciated. We highly recommend this hotel for the price and the location.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Usk
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

As good as the reviews state.
Firstly the staff on reception are incredably nice and helpful.
The room was as good as most people would wish, we are 50+, not backpackers, so want quality.
The location is a 5 min walk to the main historic attractions and the tram.
Probably not totally suitable for disabled, as no lift and walk to attractions is uphill.
Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank PhilUsk
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Basileus. I booked because of all the reviews on this site and I was more than happy. The hotel is excellent: the room was beautifully clean; comfortable double bed; lovely sheets and pillow; new sparkling bathroom; armchair; good lighting. Breakfast very good. The real winner in this hotel is the staff. The brothers run the hotel and all were excellent and Omer superlative. Nothing was to much trouble. Always available 24 hours, could not have been more hospitable.
There was a problem with my taxi from the airport which was not on time though it finally arrived.
As soon as I got to the hotel, I was welcomed with profuse and genuine apologies and they reduced my bill by15% in recompense. Could not better that.
I will definitely be back. I am an elderly man travelling alone and I felt perfectly at home for the whole stay. My ipad broke down and the brothers, the hoteliers, did everything to help me with contacting Apple and getting the replacement ipad.
The ambient heating in the hotel was excellent during the cold days of January and the temperature of the heating in one's room was on a controllable thermostat.

Room Tip: I had a room on the ground floor so no problem with stairs
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank SantiagoVenz
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We selected this hotel based on the great reviews and we were not disappointed.

Rooms were very comfortable, bed was great, breakfast was sufficient and they will he happy to cook you an omelet to order.
The only drawback is the stairs - if that is an issue for some people. But I suspect this will be the case in most hotels in this area.

We arrived late at night, and it was no problem. Omar was even kind enough to provide some food to us.

The restaurant in front was fantastic. Ate there twice and was great!

• Stayed December 2013