“Ideal location for sightseeing.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Ideal location for sightseeing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

A very comfortable and friendly hotel. Perfect location for walking to all of the tourist locations. Our room was very clean and cosy with two armchairs, ideal for reading whilst having a complimentary cup of coffee after a day out. There are several very reasonably priced restaurants cose by. I would advise asking the hotel in advance to arrange a pickup from the airport on arrival, which cost us 20 euros in total, as it could be difficult to find the hotel using public transport and taxis may try to rip you off. Friendly and helpful owners.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaOxford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Corvallis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights in March, 2014 at the Basileus Hotel in Istanbul. We also arranged for a airport transfer with the hotel. We were very pleased with our choices. The transfer went very smoothly and the hotel was exactly what we expected. Though old and somewhat dated, the hotel was very clean and the complimentary breakfasts were quite tasty with a nice selection of items plus made to order egg dishes. The minibar was also stocked with complimentary water, sodas, and juices which were a welcome treat. And, the free WIFI was very reliable. The hotel is family owned and run and we found the staff, especially Omar and Effren, to be very cordial and helpful. We stayed at several other (mostly 5 star) hotels during our 3 weeks in Turkey but none made us feel as welcome as the Basileus. The location was especially nice as we were able to walk to virtually every major site in the old city including the Bazaar, the Galata Bridge and Tower, and especially Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. If we are ever in Istanbul again we will pick the Hotel Basileus for its great value, location, and kind staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mike R
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Two mid 60 folk.
Rather than rewrite all the good thing, take them as true. 5 metres from wine shop, 15 metres from excellent Cesme restaurant, 10 minutes walk to the mosques etc.
Excellent advice and help, family feel. Can arrange anything .
Hard to do better

1 Thank grahamawaySydney
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Basileus for 4 nights in April 2014. The hotel was well located for the sites in Sultanahmet and had all the necessary amenities. Best part was the friendly staff who go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clarebelle_traveller
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I booked the Basileus based on reviews we read, and we were thoroughly pleased with our stay there. Here are the main points:
Location: great for us -- we walked almost everywhere (and we're in our early 70s). But the hotel is in the midst of hills to the main sites, so wear good shoes. It's a short distance -- 15 minutes -- to the Blue Mosque and a bit farther to the Hagia Sophia and didn't give us any trouble -- but it does require walking up some inclines to get to them.
Rooms and breakfast: nice clean room, comfortable bed, very nice bathroom. Ours was on the first floor which we liked a lot. Breakfast was A+ -- big spread of fruits, breads, meats, cheeses, cereals, eggs, and crepes! Excellent coffee. Cookies and tea on sofas in the registration area.
The staff: We loved Omar! As soon as we walked in, he exuded welcome and was so helpful the entire time we were there. I'd go back to Istanbul just to see him! He gave us maps, suggested routes for walking and taking the metro, best times to see things, and best of all -- he made arrangements for us to have a couples Turkish bath on our last day, which was fun and totally relaxing. Like another review said, have the hotel reserve a car to take you to and from the airport for 25 euros. We were so glad we did that -- security at the airport took almost 2 hours when we were leaving, so we didn't need to spend extra time navigating transportation. (also, be sure you have a visa getting into Turkey -- or you can get one at the Istanbul airport, but do it at the visa counter BEFORE you get in the long security line)
Other: we ate twice at the restaurant right across the street (Cesere?) which has good food, very nice staff, and good wines.
A big extra PLUS for the Basileus: in the rush of a 5:45 a.m. departure for the airport, my husband forgot his glasses on the sink in the bathroom and didn't realize it until we were in the airport. I emailed Omar and he immediately said some visitors that they knew and liked would bring the glasses back and mail them from the US much more cheaply. This was so smooth and they came in less than a week!
We can't say enough good stuff about our experience at the Basileus, and send greetings an a huge THANK YOU to Omar and the rest of the staff! It was a most enjoyable stay. :)

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor was in a great location. We didn't have to carry our luggage upstai...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AZonthego
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

From the moment you walk in, you are welcome with a smile and some delicious Turkish Coffee. I am a travel agent and I booked this hotel based on the remarks from all the posts I've read here. I booked 4 nights April 3rd, left to Izmir for 2 nights and came back one more night to this hotel.
The brothers that run this hotel are so friendly and welcoming. They give you the best advice on where to go in Istanbul and what to see and do. Omar is remarkable and his brothers are the best.
Location:
The location of the hotel is perfect. It's walking distance to all the major sights in the Old Town. Keep in mind that you do need good walking shoes no matter where you stay in Istanbul. There's plenty of restaurants and shops nearby too. In every corner and ever street you will see something new. I do recommend that you get a bus card so that you can ride the tram to and from. There are machines there that you load money on to the card and you use those to cards to enter the platform of the tram.

Rooms: Since this is a small hotel, there are only 24 rooms. The rooms were decent size with nice bathrooms. The do have small French balconies, so no room for chairs or tables. The bathrooms are also nice. The beds are very comfortable and they have plenty of towels in the bathrooms. The maids are great so I recommend leaving tips for them daily.
The only onlyyyy complaint I would have is that at night because of the location of the hotel, there was some outside noise, mostly music. It wasn't that bad, but because we walked all day were so tired we knocked out fast even with the background noise.

Food: the hotel provides daily breakfast and they have an excellent choice of breakfast items from hard boiled eggs, cheeses, breads, fruits etc. The had coffees, juice, tea, milk, everything you can think of. You can order an omelet of your choice and you'll get it in minutes, fresh!

I really have nothing else to say other than we had a great time in Istanbul and mostly I give credit to the staff at this hotel. They make you feel like family. When we went to Izmir to the Best Western Konak, we felt lost because it was a bigger hotel. Our last night when we returned I told Omar that his hotel was "home sweet home."
Oh.. one more tip... if you are catching an international flight home, I recommend having the guys book you a private shuttle rather than a public shuttle. Its more convenient.
Thank you Omar and the gang, I will return to your hotel and send all my family and friends to you.

Vicky A

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vicky A
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Basileus Hotel was my “home” for 5 nights in March/April 2014. From the moment I checked in, Omar, his brothers, and uncle who run the hotel, made me feel like I was part of their family. Originally, I booked a room for only 2 nights (with the plan of moving to another hotel near Taksim square for the rest of my trip), but after my first night at Basileus I decided to extend my stay for another 3 nights! The hotel was just too comfortable and the staff were so generous, friendly, gracious and attentive that I had no reason to even think of staying anywhere else!

In terms of location, it doesn’t get any better. The hotel is on a nice quiet street and within walking distance (not more than 2 kms) of many attractions including the Little Hagia Sophia (2 min), the Blue Mosque (5 min), Arasta Bazaar (5 min), Hagia Sophia (8 min), Basilica Cistern (9 min), Topkapi Palace (15 min), Archaeological Museum (15 min), Gulhane Park (15 min), Cemberlitas Hamami (15 min), Grand Bazaar (20 min), the Spice Bazaar (25 min). To see some of the other sites, for example, Galata Tower, Dolmabahce Palace, Istanbul Modern, Istiklal Caddesi, you can take a Tram (3TL) from Sultanahment station (10 min).

On the last day of my trip, just hours before my flight, I realized that I had lost my passport! When I told Omar, who by this time had become my friend, he did everything he could to help me out. He was unbelievably kind and concerned. He immediately called some of the cafes and restaurants I had visited earlier that day. Then he hired a taxi and sent me to the Canadian consulate. Also, he called the airline to cancel my flight for me. In the end I found my passport and flew home the next day but it was a very stressful experience. I am grateful to Omar and the entire Basileus staff for all of their help, support and for being so caring during my stay and especially when I was without my passport. Not only will I miss the great city of Istanbul but I will miss the friendly faces at the Basileus hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo