“Great location, value and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #24 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Chicago
“Great location, value and staff”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had almost a full day layover and decided to make the most of it, but to accomplish this we wanted to stay somewhere convenient to the historical sites such as the Blue Mosque. Based on the reviews we decided to give this place a chance and we couldn’t have been happier. The location was great, and the staff was amazing. At one point when we needed a cab to go to Taksim Square (a must see), we were given a ride in their private vehicle!

If we are ever back in Turkey, this will be the first place I look to stay at.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R_G_41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel was well-situated and within walking distance to the major sites we wanted to see, as well as the tram if you preferred. The lobby was lovely and the rooms were clean and of a good size. As another reviewer stated, this a fine 3 star hotel and its’ location serves it well as a “home base” while out sight-seeing. My biggest issue with this hotel was the recommendation of a Turkish bath provided to us by the staff. I’m not sure why it was recommended (perhaps a commission for the staff?) but the Turkish bath (Tarihi Vezneciler Hamamı) they sent us to was dirty and disgusting. This was our first visit to a hammam and would have been my last, had my friend not persuaded me to try another one. Fortunately, all of our other bath experiences, chosen ahead of time based on places I read reviews on, were lovely. Anyway, I recommend this hotel if you’re looking for a well located room in the Sultanahmet area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was the best I've ever been to. It was super child friendly and really cheap. The breakfast buffet was superb (especially the macademia butter), and the rooms had nice warm showers, which is great, especially in the winter. The staff left our room nice and clean and the man even let us borrow his own personal metro card. He was so nice. He also went out of his way to give us maps and good advice about what to wear, how to act, and the local prices so we weren't overcharged. We also booked a shuttle, which is really a van, which was waiting for us at the airport. It was very helpful.

1 Thank SkyWav
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

You can believe all the positive reviews about this family run hotel.
Right from our first contact in booking the service and hospitality of all the family members and staff was exceptional.
Suggestions for where to go and how to find things and where to eat were always good.
Ekrem and Omar would always ask how our day had been.
Istanbul is a wonderful city and the warmth and friendliness at Basileus made our 7 day visit even better.
We had one difficult experience purchasing an item which turned out to be very overpriced. Special thanks to Ekrem and other family members for going above and beyond expectations in assisting us to resolve the issue.
Stay at this great hotel. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent customer service. Their stuff was helpful, informative, and incredible nice. The location was very convenient. Walking distance to the main places to visit such as blue mosque. Breakfast was delicious and they offered a wide variety of good choices. Big and spacious rooms. Coffee and appetizers available all day. Overall, the hotel personnel went above and beyond to make my travel experience the best one yet by helping in every aspect of my sightseeing planning as well as dinning and all. I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly come back! Very satisfied!

• Stayed May 2014
Sacramento
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Basileus Hotel is a small boutique hotel half a mile from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia and just a stone's throw from the "Little Hagia Sofia" -- a very convenient landmark for taxi drivers. We stayed 7-days in mid-March. This was our first visit to the Basileus Hotel. We very pleased with the rooms, which were generous, pleasantly furnished, scrupulously clean and large by Turkish hotel standards. The lobby has a small lounge area with comfortable chairs and sofas, coffee and tea available around the clock and sweets are set out in the evening. There is no restaurant, but they serve a large complimentary breakfast (traditional Turkish style with a selection of fruits, cheeses, breads, and meats.) In addition to being in a great location for seeing the sights and having nice rooms, the staff is the best...absolutely fantastic. They were friendly, knowledgeable, they have great recommendations for restaurants and activities throughout this large city and they have a direct line to taxis. The reception desk is staffed 24/7 and there are absolutely no communication problems for English speakers. We already look forward to our next trip to this wonderful city and would choose this great hotel again. Frankly, we would follow the staff anywhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smichaelb
Bedford, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

In January of 2014, I wandered into Istanbul for a wedding with no prior knowledge of the city. As a female traveler, safety and accommodation were my biggest concern, as always. That being said, this hotel went far and beyond my expectations in terms of service, friendliness, and comfort.

It is often hard to find such authentic friendliness and care so close to tourist areas (and for such a price!). Basileus brought me back to what it meant to experience such travel and hospitality. Not only did Omar, Muhraeem, and Ekrem go above and beyond for my every need, but they also allowed me to form friendships with them; to enjoy the winter sun with a cup of delicious Turkish tea, have someone to accompany me at dinner, help me look for a gift for the bride, even call a taxi after hours to come get me at the wedding reception. This hotel was better than one "of the best" in Rome, with its magical charm and very Turkish hospitality.

At breakfast, I was always asked what omelette I wanted- served with fresh ingredients in a quiet downstairs dining room-, greeted hello by the lovely cleaning lady and cook, and presented a warm glass of strong Turkish tea. I cannot convey the quiet loveliness of interactions I had with them, because they would seem otherwise mundane, but they are etched in my memory, leaving a feeling of compassion and humanity.

I know that I can return to Basileus and be greeted by smiles and hugs, Turkish tea, and the very delightful people who work at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo