“Cozy, welcoming and perfect location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #22 of 1,116 Hotels in Istanbul
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
“Cozy, welcoming and perfect location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed in Basileus hotel in April 2014 for one night when I had my transit point in Turkey before flying to the USA. It was earlier recommended to me so I decided to try it out. When I arrived at the hotel I fell in love with its location: tiny hilly stony streets reminding me of Istanbul I saw in the movies. Then, when I entered the hotel the next thing that caught my attention was the ceiling. It was so unique and beautiful that I didn't notice how my waiting time for registration flew by. I asked about it and the hotel staff took time to explain to me the work invested in different pieces of the ceiling. While I was waiting and looking at the ceiling, I noticed how every visitor was treated specially, starting from the check-in process to explaining the area. After the check-in I was accompanied to my room and yes, this was exactly what I was expecting and more. Simple but sharp, cozy and clean, and a super comfortable mattress! In terms of the price I must admit it was an exceptional value for its location, service and coziness. Next time I am in Istanbul with a family or alone, I will certainly go back to Basileus for it impressed me for long :).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sabrin04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We won't look past this hotel next time we come to Istanbul again. The service you get from the three brothers running the hotel is fantastic. I wish we could take them with us wherever we go.
Our room was nice, clean & it had everything we needed. The buff breakfast in the morning has a big selection of everything you need to eat plus the also serve eggs to your liking.
The hotel is in the old part of town so everything is within walking distance.
Thanks again & see you soon again !

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I wrote a review recommending Basileus Hotel three years ago. So far I have been to this hotel every time I visited Istanbul in the last years. The quality of stay was high in my first visit, and remained so in the following visits. What distinguishes this hotel from all hotels I have been to elsewhere the most is that the staff will treat you genuinely. They will respond to your needs, and also will get you familiar with the neighborhood and help you understand the local culture if you are interested. The rooms are neat and comfortable. The lounge is beautifully decorated. The breakfast is delicious. The location is superb. I, once more, highly recommended this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here on my trip to Istanbul. I checked in late at night still one of the brothers who manage the hotel ensured a smooth check in. I dint have the Turkish currency and I was apprehensive to get my Euros exchanged at the airport at the fear of being duped. The hotel arranged to pay the taxi from the airport in the local currency which i later paid it back to them. As they say first impression is the last impression, this kind gesture by the hotel made me feel really good. The brothers would help you with everything be it the airport transfers, sight seeing, travel related queries, food etc etc you ask for it and they would help with you with the same. The room is really good nicely done, clean and meets all your expectations. Two nights we stayed at a room in the basement, but later we requested for the room on ground floor due to the disturbance near the dining area and they were accommodating to our request. The taxi drivers in Istanbul are the the biggest cheats that you would encounter in the entire world. I would specially like to mention Ekrem he saved me from these cheat taxi drivers not once but twice, would never forget him for that. One of the really nice things they do for guests is provide with unlimited pastries, tea, coffee and water near the lobby. This is something really good and unheard of. Overall we enjoyed our stay and the three brothers that i met made it special by their helping nature. Keep it up guys you are doing a great job!!!!!

2 Thank Dhaval_Gandhi
Suffolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

A great hotel with superbly helpful staff who can't do enough to help guests. The location is excellent - just a few minutes' walk (uphill, but it's down on the way back!) from the Blue Mosque, Haghia Sophia, Baslicia Cistern (a 'must') and Topkapi Palace - and the room we had was fine: not huge, but perfectly OK, and very quiet at night. Breakfast was also good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank westminster2
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our favorite hotel of our three week Turkey trip. What sets this hotel apart from the competition are the staff -- they will do whatever is necessary to assure your Istanbul experience is a good one. The airlines lost my bag (although not my wife's) and Omar took charge, calling the airlines repeatedly until eventually (4 days later!) my bag arrived at the hotel. Omar mapped out our itinerary and suggested some excellent restaurants. We always felt that we had friends in case we needed assistance or ran into trouble. Our room, although small, had been updated and was quite charming. It also was extremely quiet. The Turkish breakfast downstairs was very good, and there was always some pastry or cake available in the common area. Location was perfect. On our return to Istanbul two weeks later, we stayed in a more expensive hotel in Karaköy so we could experience a different part of the city. Our Basileus Hotel experience was much much better! So many things to see and do in this city. Possibly our favorite was a bus ride to Chora Church, walking along the Theodocian Walls, and then working our way back to Sultanamet on foot through the Fatih District using our iPhone map app (CityMaps2go).

3 Thank SonoraSteveTucson
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the very friendly and helpful service. Unfortunately there was a heavy rain the night we arrived and we woke up to a strange buzzing noise, which turned out to bd the electric fuses because the ceiling was leaking! Luckily there was a free room on the ground floor so we had to do a quick pack and move at 3.30am. To the manager's credit he was extremely apologetic and did not charge us for our first nights stay.

The location of the hotel is very convenient for all the main sites. Rooms are just average I would say for this price range. I found the beds a bit hard. However, the buffet breakfast is very good, although shame it is served in a windowless basement. They also provide a free tea, coffee and cake trolley to help yourself to which was a nice touch. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple