“Full of Charm and Goodwill.”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,161 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 21 August 2014

If you are looking for an economical home away from home with knowledgeable and kindly staff, this is the place for you. We stayed at the hotel for six nights and were very happy we chose it.
The free breakfast was lovely with many choices of food and beverage. You can have an omelet as well, individualized to your tastes. In the afternoon, cake and cookies along with teas are complimentary in the lobby. Don't miss it. The choices vary daily and are delicious.
Besides the individual advice regarding local dining, transportation and historical sites, all our complex travel connections for the remainder of our trip were arranged by Selif (one the three brothers who run the hotel) and meticulously documented to put our minds at ease. His recommendations were personalized to our tastes and proved well justified. If we ever get back to Istanbul, you will find us there.
Yesterday we listened as he called Singapore Airport to help find the lost luggage of a New Zealand couple so that it could be sent directly to Santorini for their wedding. AND he got through to right person. That is the kind of service you can expect. You get the impression that you are either part of this wonderful family or at least a very good friend. Trip Advisor is certainly correct in honoring The Basileus.

Room Tip: The hotel was quieter than we expected given it is in crowded Instanbul. We were on the side-street...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynnTheAmerican
There are newer reviews for Basileus Hotel

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a three star hotel giving five star service. We booked it on the strength of the terrific Trip Advisor reviews. We were certainly not disappointed. It was actually better than expected. We were collected from the airport, an inclusion when you book and a bonus as you do not have to deal with the taxi drivers. We arrived at the Hotel early in the morning. Our room wasn't available for 2 hours so we were told to go downstairs to their dining room and have breakfast, even though we were not entitled to it. We stayed for 3 nights then came back for 2 more. We were able to store some of our luggage. The staff were excellent. The brothers who run the hotel are so helpful - restaurants, sights, transport options. They spend hours each day helping guests with advice. We had a very early check out - 5am. We were told to go to the dining room as they had set aside some food for us prior to our flight and well before the scheduled breakfast time. Each afternoon there is food and drink set up for guests. A further bonus is the location. It's a less than 10 minute walk to the Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern and Hagia Sophia. A two block walk and you are at the waterfront. I was running each day along the waterfront to the Galata Bridge and back. You cannot beat this hotel for service and location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Istanbul is a truly awe inspiring place. We walked around the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia at night and were blown away by the atmosphere. Basileus is so close and we could walk out the hotel and be by the Blue Mosque in five minutes. The staff are amazing, so helpful and if you are nervous about Istanbul they are always there to help you. We asked them so many questions and they always went out of their way to help us. Staying at Basileus helped us fall in love with Istanbul and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

. in a great location in Istanbul- walking distance to all the main sights in Sultanahmet and the Bazaar area. The rooms were clean, quite large (could have done with a bit more storage space) with fridge and safe. Small balcony, quiet street. There were tea and cakes in the afternoon. The breakfast was good in a buffet style, with a large range of Turkish and non-Turkish foods.
The best thing about this small hotel is the staff that runs it.....they are the best. Very hospitable and accomodating. We felt like we were at friend or family's house.
WE would highly recommend this place!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dawood H
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As mentioned several times already on Trip Advisor, and indeed the reason we chose to stay here, you cannot fault the service at this hotel. We stayed here for 5 nights and we had no issues whatsoever. We even stayed in a basement room with no problems that we could find. For a 3 star hotel this is probably the most outstanding place we have stayed, and we've travelled extensively.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Car0made
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have to thank the Trip Advisor community for finding out about this hotel. My trip to Istanbul was wonderful and I cannot go further without thanking the staff of the Basileus for making it so.

Because we were staying several days, the hotel arranged for a shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I was kind of filled with glee when we got past the secured area of the airport and saw someone waiting with a sign bearing my name. (I kept it, but lost it somehow.) The shuttle helped us with a big hurdle in navigating a country we hadn't been before.

I was traveling with my mother, and we arrived a little bit before check-in. The staff were so welcoming; I felt like I was arriving at a friend's home. Since we were early we had the chance to sit down and relax a few moments, and they had a computer so my mom could let everyone know we had arrived safely.

They checked us in as soon as a room was available, and the room was very nice and comfortable. After refreshing a bit, we went out to talk with the desk staff and they suggested we visit the Kucuk Ayasofya down the street, and off we went.

The breakfast was wonderful. We were offered omelets in addition to the generous spread of breads, cheeses, fruits, olives, yogurt, juices, coffee... it was unbelievable. I also had my first cup of coffee ever while at breakfast here. The room was not too small; it was never completely full while we were there, so it was comfortable and nice not to feel pressed to leave quickly. Also, the room had a small refrigerator which was packed full of soft drinks and water. This was so nice to come back to at the end of a long day of sightseeing.

I cannot stress how hospitable the staff was. Most evenings I would sit in the lounge to relax a little, with my mom occasionally checking in back home. We chatted with Omar, who we learned had spent a year abroad in Wisconsin, of all places (I currently live in Chicago). He and other staff helped us figure out where we should visit (for instance, they suggested a turkish bath for us); helped explain how to use the public transit system to visit areas too far to walk, such as the Eyup Sultan mosque, Chora Church museum, Galata Tower, and St. Stephen Church. We found our way easily using their instruction. They welcomed us back to the hotel each time we arrived, and wished us well when we left for the day or for dinner. We left incredibly early--we had to get up and leave around 3 am--but the owner (whose name, I'm ashamed to say, I cannot recall) said goodbye before we left the hotel the day before our departure, in case he missed us later. Omar woke us up an hour before our shuttle arrived and, after hugs and thank-yous, we left in the shuttle they had helped us arrange (note, the return shuttle was not included in our stay).

When I visited, they offered a discount for those who paid in cash American or Euros, which is how we chose to pay. They have a laundry service for a small fee. There is not a drink machine or anything, but there are two small shops nearby, one directly across the street and one a couple stores down; however, as I mentioned, they had several drinks in the refrigerator. The rooms are very clean, and fairly comfortable (though for an American used to a more plush bed, it might take a few nights getting used to, but nothing to ruin the trip).

The Basileus is in a wonderful location--it took my mom and I only ten minutes to walk to the Blue Mosque & Hagia Sophia. We spent most of our time on foot, to the mosques and basilica cistern, Grand Bazaar, and other sites. The only time we used public transport was our trip to Eyup and Edirnekapi, Galata Tower/spice market, and when attending the whirling dervish performance since it was in the evening. I hope to visit Istanbul again, and when I do, I won't consider staying anywhere but the Basileus unless they are booked--I would stay even if I had to switch hotels during my stay. This is the hotel that I will wholeheartedly recommend to anyone visiting the city. This hotel provides five-star service for an incredible value.

Room Tip: This is a small hotel so I think that any room is probably a good one. We were on the first floor, a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Schuyler P
Reviewed 12 August 2014

There has been much said about this fabulous hotel. From location to breakfast to service above and beyond by staff. I would like to a share a story from our first day in Turkey having landing in Istanbul with no Turkish Lira. We asked the desk staff where we could find an ATM as we were unable to source any Turkish Lira prior to our arrival. We were advised where we may find the ATM and then he said "Would you like to borrow some money until you find the ATM?" He then proceeded to access some lira and continued "how much would you like, you can pay me back when you return". Unbelievable. We didn't take him up on the offer but were overawed by his generosity. Stay here. We were travelling as a family and rated our trip through Turkey and Greece. This hotel won our equal best Hotel award, equal best Breakfast and best service by Staff for our 2014 Turkey/Greece adventure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family