“Really great value in an unlikely location”

Yesilkoy Airport Boutique Hotel
Ranked #617 of 1,038 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Really great value in an unlikely location”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Turkish Airlines seems to thrive on problems schedules. I was due to arrive at 23.10 one night and leave at 07h30 two mornings later. A search through the usual culprits turned up the usual expensive luxury, and I needed something more reasonable. A web search led me to the Yesilkoy Boutique. It isn't right at the airport, but in a nearby suburb, one street in from the sea front.

I arrived late but got a warm welcome after 01h00. The stairs were steep (no lift) with a tight corner, and the door lock seemed well worn, but the room was cool (it had an excellent, quiet aircon), the bed was comfortable, the bathroom clean and fully functional, and the furniture practical rather than prize-winning. I slept well (no untoward noises from the neighbours) and went down to breakfast refreshed. Some breakfast - a five star hotel would charge 30euros and still not get the freshness right! Then a 5-minute walk to the Yesilkoy station, and 2 TLira later I was on my way to town.

That evening, a walk round the neighborhood soon found me a reasonably priced, really good meal. Several hours on the free hotel wifi followed - fast, no problems. At 5 the next morning, the wakeup call was prompt, and the taxi came within a minute of being summoned. So it was 14 TLira to the airport - I think I saved that in the first hour at the Yesilkoy. Eat your heart out, airport chain hotel.

Room Tip: There is so little traffic that the first floor offers ease of access with quietness
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank A-Nutty-Prof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
İstanbul, Türkiye
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I had 2 friends staying there for a single night and they chose it due to it's vicinity with the airport. Unfortunately the service is not good and even though late checkout was accepted, they asked for 45 euros to shower at the time of checkout. The explanation was "they had to clean the towels". I would avoid it if I was a visitor to Istanbul. There are much better choices in the same area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a very convenient hotel for transit in Istanbul, which is frequently necessary due to Turkish Airlines' flight schedules. The hotel sent me an email with detailed instructions on how to get there. It was excellent service though I didn't need it as I simply called them and let them talk to my cab driver. They also offered detailed assistance for me to get to the airport the following morning.

The room was on the small side but fine. The wifi was slow which was a problem for me as I had a set amount of work that needed to be done that night. The building is an old one which I think adds to the charm. The hotel is located within walking distance of the Yesilkoy business district where you can eat and do shopping. In fact it is a great place to spend the evening.

Overall an excellent place to spend a night of transit in Istanbul and good value for your money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Zoglets
Jerusalem
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I can't really add much to what others had written about this small, but convenient hotel. The bed was comfy, the place was clean albeit a bit drab( main areas)- but maybe that gives it charm?
The hotel is in a quiet residential area and there are quite a few cafes, bars within a 10 min walk. I had a nice view of the water ( sea) from my room. It was a good idea to use this hotel rather than a busy, noisy airport hotel. Note: there isn't a lift.
Breakfast was plentiful. I am pleased with my stay and as NC-Traveler-47 says it was a good ...alternative to corporate airport hotels'.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank pfsboss
Christchurch
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This seemed to get good reviews and we booked on this basis. However, it was not my cup of tea. PROS: Comfy bed, 10 mins from airport in taxi, a bit of an area (shoreline, small shops etc) to explore if you are trying to kill time, good wireless. The bedroom itself was fine and spacious. Friendly staff.
CONS: The hotel decor was dingy, eclectic and old. The worst thing of all however, was the ensuite bathroom had the most awful drain, sewer smell in it, so much so that I found it hard to shower and took a VERY short shower. Cleaning my teeth, I had to leave the bathroom and come out to the bedroom as it was making me gag. The internal hotel noise was also significant, with voices and footsteps easily heard from everywhere (outside door, room overhead etc) and banging doors that make our whole room shake etc.
It was OK for a night but expensive for what it was and the experience we had there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ripeka
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2012

During our travels through Turkey, we had an overnight layover in Istanbul. Because we had seen the city already, we decided to grab a room at an airport hotel. It turns out this is not exactly an airport hotel: It's an old family-run pension where the current owner grew up as a child (his parents ran it back then). He's been slowly renovating it, but it retains all the quirks and charms of an inn that has remained in the care of a family for decades. The public areas are crammed with antiques and memorabilia. The rooms are plain but comfortable, with appealingly high ceilings. The breakfast is large and traditional Turkish style. The current owner, who lived for a while in Chicago and speaks fluent English, is charming and funny. He's also tech-savvy: The wifi signal is strong. Best of all, the hotel is located on a quiet street in in Yeşilköy, a lively neighborhood with lots of bars and restaurants and a nice waterfront on the Marmara Sea. Instead of being stuck at the airport, we spent the evening eating dinner, walking around, and enjoying ice cream with a local crowd jazzed up from the evening's big soccer game.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NC-Traveler-47
Palm Springs
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had the nicest experience staying at this hotel for one night before our flight. Charming old hotel, with antiques and character. Our room was newly built with a sea view on the third floor. This was the standard room, and we were pleasantly surprised how comfortable and nice it was. High ceilings, wood floor, large and very quiet. The owner is wonderful and I would definitely come back there for a longer stay. The neighborhood is vibrant with lots of restaurants and coffee places within walking distance. The seashore is also within walking distance. We enjoyed experiencing a upscale neighborhood after our tour throughout Turkey. I did see the "economy rooms" or "garden rooms" for the travelers on a budget, but these were very basic for just sleeping. The Standard rooms were great though.

Room Tip: The third floor was added on recently, so the rooms are newer. The second floor rooms also looked v...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple