“Do not stay here”

Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye
Ranked #392 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My colleague booked this hotel on behalf of a team who is travelling to Istanbul for conference. The booking for me is for 7 nights from 9 Sep to 17 Sep 2013. I would advice all travelers to think twice before booking a room in this hotel. You would probably get better service, facility and location with the price you are paying for this hotel. If I did not need to be close to my colleagues for better coordination for work purpose, I would have changed my hotel on the second day.

The decision to choose this hotel is a BIG mistake. There is practically no equivalent service provided by the hotel given for the price I have paid. There is only one light on the corridor to my room and it was very, very dim. The first thing when I checked into the hotel, none of the lights in my room turned on even when the card was in the card slot. I had to go to the reception to request for a second card in order to turn the light on. When I entered the room, I smell an awful smell in the room, the smell is similar to someone’s fart. Even after I switched on the aircon and filter for some time, the smell still lingered. There must be something wrong with the filter or something in the room must have turned moldy.

The most unacceptable thing that happened is that the room cannot be locked from within. The lock mechanism seemed to be misaligned and therefore could not be turned to lock. Being a female in a foreign land, I am definitely not going to sleep in a room which cannot be locked. When I requested for a room change, the reply was that the hotel was fully booked until the conference is over and there was no room available until Friday (13 Sep). The last resort for me was to sleep in my colleague’s room for the first night while the hotel staff repaired the door while I was away on business during the day. After the door was repaired, my door access card was demagnetized every single day and I made two trips to the reception to get my card working again every day.

After all these unpleasant encounters with the room, I have no confidence in staying in the room for the rest of my days in Istanbul. I waited until my colleague was going to check out his room before I requested to switch to his room on the 4th night. To my ultimate disbelief, my request was rejected without much consideration even when I tried my best to explain my situation to them. The lame excuse given was that they need to wait until 10am before they can let me know if I can do the room switch. My colleague was checking out at 8am on the same day and I was merely request to put my luggage in his room, the housekeeping staff can continue do the cleaning while I was away on business during the day. But they expected me to rush back from business meeting at 10am to do the room switch or else they will not be able to switch the room for me. This is totally ridiculous and extremely bad service. I am unpleasantly surprised that a five-star hotel of a reputable global chain such as Crowne Plaza is not able to exercise flexibility in providing the most basic service to customer which is to let them have a peaceful, safe and comfortable stay.

And that is not all, the hotel is situated in a rather dodgy location. The road leading to the hotel are lined with automobile repair shops. You will have to walk up a narrow, steep uphill alley which is not well lit at one part in order to reach a main road with decent eateries.

The only comfort is that the breakfast is considered reasonably good. However, if you want to pay such a high price for a hotel which only saving grace is the breakfast, then go ahead to book this hotel. You have been warned.

1  Thank ACJMiang
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear guest,

Going through your given feedback we have to regretfully realize that you had to face with the inconvenience about the bad smell inside the room. Please note that it was caused by an unexpected technical disorder and has been fixed now.

Please be advised that we have checked the room you have stayed in after your feedback to see if what is wrong with the lock of the door and saw that both regular and security locks were working in order.

Regarding to your complaint about your request of a room change to your colleague’s room after they checked-out not being accepted, please be informed that as the hotel procedures we have to clean the room first, in order to assign the room to some other guest.

Your satisfaction and well-being is what our hotel and we as the team behind it aim for. Therefore we deeply regret and excuse ourselves for the caused inconvenience you dealt with while staying at our Hotel.

Despite all, we of course hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you to our Hotel once again which we will certainly see and use as a chance to provide you with an overall developed and improved service quality and Turkish hospitality.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Hi,I came to this Hotel to see Topkapi Palace and the staff just was very Helpful.They upgrade the room.I would say to the GM.The night staff was very helpful.Even in the morning the staff help for the taxi.Even the pool lady was owesome and gratful.Keep it up guys.One day i will come again.(USMAN MAHDI)Uk.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Usman C
gulhan_aktug, Konuk İlişkileri Müdürü at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Mr. Usman M.,
We are delighted to hear your praising comments on our hotel, personnel and service quality.
We would be more than pleased to welcome you in our hotel once more in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Gülhan Aktuğ Eren
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2013

As with many who stay here, I was at this hotel for a conference at the ICC. The hotel itself is not in a great location but it is suitable if you are going to be at the ICC. The room was large and clean. The view was of other rooms across the hotel.

There were a number of problems with this hotel. Firstly I had laundry that came back with what looked like rust and oil stains on. When I complained to the front desk they didn't seem at all bothered and just tasked that I give them in to be cleaned again. I did and they came back clean.

The evening service in the restaurant was terrible with lots of staff not really looking sure they knew what they were doing, with lots of conversation between them but little doing anything. This transferred to the bar when I tried to pay for some drinks and they gave someone else's bill at the end....twice. Generally the staff were not the happiest bunch and their English wasn't a strong point.

The WiFi dropped out all the time which meant having to sign in every time. The bath didn't drain which meant having a shower bath every time with an addition of yellowish water fro time to time.

You will also notice that unlike some places, especially the large chain hotels which this one is, that the Hotel Manager or someone from Crowne Plaza has not responded to any of the comments on here.

I would not recommend.

1  Thank Kerry F
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you very much for taking your time and commenting on our hotel in which you inform us about your thoughts and experiences which you had during your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye.

Going through your given feedback we had to regretfully realize that we were not able to meet your expectations in terms of several occasions.

Your satisfaction and well being is what our hotel and we as the team behind it aim for. Therefore we deeply regret and excuse ourselves for the caused inconvenience you dealt with while staying at our Hotel.

Please be informed that the reason for the WiFi going off is that to keep your information secure. It disconnects automatically if you do not use the internet service for 10 minutes.

Despite all, we of course hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you to our Hotel once more which we will certainly see and use as a chance to provide you with an overall developed and improved service quality and Turkish hospitality.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Marketed as a 4-5 star hotel.....I certainly wouldn't be giving it a rating anywhere near that! The hotel itself is in a very strange part of town; in the middle of mechanical workshops and dodgy little side streets, nowhere near any of the attractions! You have to walk up a steep hill to get to any sort of shops or civilization. Then our room fridge didn't work, the toilet wouldn't flush properly, the shower (over bath) wouldn't drain away, so you ended up standing in your own filth and the wifi wouldn't reach our room either!! To make it even worse when we rang the front desk to get the issues fixed they don't speak good enough english to understand me. The only positive about the hotel is the room size which is very large. Would not recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby so that the wifi works!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rory S

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you very much for taking your time and leaving us a note in which you inform us about your thoughts and experiences which you had during your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye.

Going through your given feedback we have to regretfully realize that we were not able to meet your expectations in terms of several points.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights attending a conference at the nearly ICC Istanbul. Rooms are new and modern with coffee making facility. During check-in there were 5 rooms booked in their system for us although we only booked 4. Then they wanted to charge us double the room rate that we booked. Check-in ended up taking more than 40 minutes.
Location is very good. Walk up the hill for 5 minutes then you're at the main street. Lots if restaurant and shops that cater more for locals. If you turn right and walk another 15 minutes, you will come to Taksim Square and then to the left is the beginning of walking street, Istiklal Cadessi.
Would stay here again for a conference since it's only 15 minutes walk to ICC.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear guest,

We thank you for your kind feedback.

Please accept our apologies on the complication about you reservations.

We will be hoping to welcome you in our hotel once again.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Geographically, the location shouldn't be that bad, but the hotel is on a street with no sidewalk and next to a petrol station.
It’s a dodgy central area with car yards, shady characters. In order to get anywhere you have to walk up a massive, massive hill; esp to the main shopping area (which is close BTW) or the nearest Metro station.

The rooms are nice, but the Wi-Fi is drops ever so often. The people are nice and the breakfast is decent, but in the evening the service is slow.

Pros: Nice spacious rooms, cleaned daily. Most staff are friendly however not all can understand English

Nothing special to complain about.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
gulhan_aktug, Konuk İlişkileri Müdürü at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you very much for taking your time and commenting on our Hotel and our team after your visit to Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye.

Receiving your note combining positive but also negative remarks gave us the encouragement and the approval that we are on the right path of succeeding and being able to provide our guests with the highest level of service, quality and Turkish hospitality. In the same time, it showed us what has to be improved and rechecked.

Your overall satisfaction is what we aim for as a Hotel and as a whole team that stands behind it. Therefore we more than appreciate every suggestion, feedback and comment we receive; as it motivates and gives us the chance to develop and improve even further.

We hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future, which we will use as an opportunity to offer you the same and further improved quality and hospitality to make your stay a memorable one.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I couldn't agree more with previous reviewer "fblume" that the hotel is reasonable but its location is weird, just next to a petrol station with steep hill to get to anywhere. The room was clean, serviced daily and free wifi although disconnected too often. The food and breakfast wasn't bad but no proper view from rooms. Staff were courteous and helpful. The plus side was the free shuttle to Taskim every hour which saved walking the steep hill. It was however very close to the conference centre which is why we booked this hotel. Perhaps one factor that impacted me most was my stay at JM Marriott in Ankara the night before I went to Crown Plaza. Anyone who goes from a 5 star hotel such as Marriott to this hotel will inevitably find this very average. Nothing special to complain about.

Dear guest,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment on Tripadvisor about our hotel.

We will be hoping to have the chance to welcome you in our hotel once more in the near future.