“No way is this a 5 Star hotel!”

Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye
Ranked #331 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“No way is this a 5 Star hotel!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

You can't charge 5 Star prices for such dire facilities.
Dirt marks on the bed sheets. Dusty surfaces in the room. Poorly designed bathroom, old manky toilet, water that doesn't drain away while standing in the shower.
Boring and unimaginative selection of food in the breakfast room.
I've just been touring Turkey and after sampling 9 other hotels can confidently say this is average.
The location is awful, dirty commercial area. My husband and I took the shuttle to Taksim Square and got the Funicular and then a Tram to the old part which took ages on overcrowded and heavily polluted areas.
Also they spray a horribly cheap smell around the foyer to ' supposedly' freshen the air.

Please don't respond to my complaint, I won't ever be coming back. The replies are stupid and patronizing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happytravellers94
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Happytravellers94,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Orleans, Ontario
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel 3 days prior to a coach tour and 2 days after the tour. Very nice. Staff was great always ready to help. Breakfast buffet is very good. As a Priority Club Member the upgade rooms were GREAT. Food at the restaurant and at the newly opened Pizza and Kebab place was excellent. The area is not touristic but the hotel provides a nice free shuttlle to Taksim Square and from there Istanbul is yours to explore. Walking back to the hotel from Taksim is an easy 20 minute walk on a good commercial street and then yes you have to go down a steep street but not a big problem. All in all a very pleasant experience

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are delighted to hear your praising comments on our hotel, personnel and service quality.
We would be more than pleased to welcome you in our hotel once more in the near future.
Kind Regards

MD
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our first stop on a recent trip to Turkey was a hotel name that we recognized. We have frequented Crowne Plaza hotels in the U.S.and have always enjoyed our stay, so we were pleased to see this jewel of a hotel with a small area for outdoor seating fronting the busy street and coffee or drinks available as ordered.
The room had a lovely large king bed much appreciated after a long flight with bathroom amenities including robe and slippers ready for our use. The room was above average in size and one window opened, which came in handy because the Fall season had changed AC to the heating system.
We found the food in the dining room to be fresh and flavorful including a large honeycomb ready for use at breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a window that opens just in case the weather turns warm.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear valued guest,

We thank you for taking your time and leaving such kind comments about our hotel.

We will be hoping to welcome you in our hotel once again in the near future.

Best regards.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Excellent breakfast filled with beautiful fruits, nuts, olives, and halva from Turkey, professional staff, rooms comfortable, bathrooms well equipped. Location not too good, but close to high street filled with restaurants and shops. A long, narrow pool on the outside deck would be awesome, with loungers. Otherwise nice patio and staff could speak English reasonably well. Excellent restaurants within walking distance in upmarket area.

Room Tip: Try the deluxe room, all rooms very spacious
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
gulhan_aktug, Konuk İlişkileri Müdürü at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you for your kind feedback.

We will be hoping to welcome you in our hotel once again.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Only one bad thing is the neibourhood but the team, the rooms and the overall is very good.
Been staying there at least 5 times in the past year - usually gets the superior and deluxe rooms which are huge and very comfortable but i can get along in a standard room for business needs.

rooms are fully equiped , what ever you need is already there, staff is very efficiant and welcoming. breakfast is nice and fresh.
love this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street as the speaker from the musque sounds louder in those.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

We thank you for your kind comments on our hotel. We are glad to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations in terms of the facilites and services.

We will be more than happy to have the chance to welcome you in our hotel once again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

spend two nights prior to our tour and two nights at the end.The hotel is fine if you just sleeping the night as its comfortable and the room is a good size.The bathroom is pleasant and enough amenities provided.I think the negative is the location.Breakfast the problem was communication as we asked for boiling water which took a long time to bring to the table.

Room Tip: higher floors less noise from street level
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
We thank you very much for your kind comments on our hotel and services.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you in our hotel once again to provide you with improved service quality.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My colleague booked this hotel on behalf of a team who is travelling to Istanbul for conference. The booking for me is for 7 nights from 9 Sep to 17 Sep 2013. I would advice all travelers to think twice before booking a room in this hotel. You would probably get better service, facility and location with the price you are paying for this hotel. If I did not need to be close to my colleagues for better coordination for work purpose, I would have changed my hotel on the second day.

The decision to choose this hotel is a BIG mistake. There is practically no equivalent service provided by the hotel given for the price I have paid. There is only one light on the corridor to my room and it was very, very dim. The first thing when I checked into the hotel, none of the lights in my room turned on even when the card was in the card slot. I had to go to the reception to request for a second card in order to turn the light on. When I entered the room, I smell an awful smell in the room, the smell is similar to someone’s fart. Even after I switched on the aircon and filter for some time, the smell still lingered. There must be something wrong with the filter or something in the room must have turned moldy.

The most unacceptable thing that happened is that the room cannot be locked from within. The lock mechanism seemed to be misaligned and therefore could not be turned to lock. Being a female in a foreign land, I am definitely not going to sleep in a room which cannot be locked. When I requested for a room change, the reply was that the hotel was fully booked until the conference is over and there was no room available until Friday (13 Sep). The last resort for me was to sleep in my colleague’s room for the first night while the hotel staff repaired the door while I was away on business during the day. After the door was repaired, my door access card was demagnetized every single day and I made two trips to the reception to get my card working again every day.

After all these unpleasant encounters with the room, I have no confidence in staying in the room for the rest of my days in Istanbul. I waited until my colleague was going to check out his room before I requested to switch to his room on the 4th night. To my ultimate disbelief, my request was rejected without much consideration even when I tried my best to explain my situation to them. The lame excuse given was that they need to wait until 10am before they can let me know if I can do the room switch. My colleague was checking out at 8am on the same day and I was merely request to put my luggage in his room, the housekeeping staff can continue do the cleaning while I was away on business during the day. But they expected me to rush back from business meeting at 10am to do the room switch or else they will not be able to switch the room for me. This is totally ridiculous and extremely bad service. I am unpleasantly surprised that a five-star hotel of a reputable global chain such as Crowne Plaza is not able to exercise flexibility in providing the most basic service to customer which is to let them have a peaceful, safe and comfortable stay.

And that is not all, the hotel is situated in a rather dodgy location. The road leading to the hotel are lined with automobile repair shops. You will have to walk up a narrow, steep uphill alley which is not well lit at one part in order to reach a main road with decent eateries.

The only comfort is that the breakfast is considered reasonably good. However, if you want to pay such a high price for a hotel which only saving grace is the breakfast, then go ahead to book this hotel. You have been warned.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ACJMiang
gulhan_aktug, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Istanbul - Harbiye, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear guest,

Going through your given feedback we have to regretfully realize that you had to face with the inconvenience about the bad smell inside the room. Please note that it was caused by an unexpected technical disorder and has been fixed now.

Please be advised that we have checked the room you have stayed in after your feedback to see if what is wrong with the lock of the door and saw that both regular and security locks were working in order.

Regarding to your complaint about your request of a room change to your colleague’s room after they checked-out not being accepted, please be informed that as the hotel procedures we have to clean the room first, in order to assign the room to some other guest.

Your satisfaction and well-being is what our hotel and we as the team behind it aim for. Therefore we deeply regret and excuse ourselves for the caused inconvenience you dealt with while staying at our Hotel.

Despite all, we of course hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you to our Hotel once again which we will certainly see and use as a chance to provide you with an overall developed and improved service quality and Turkish hospitality.

Best regards,

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels