“100% worth it!”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #1 of 80 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

If you are interested in indulging your taste buds in new types of food, and want to learn about the traditional culture of Turkey, this is the tour for you.

Our tour guide, Gonca, was extremely knowledgeable about the different foods we were tasting, and very welcoming to our group. She was super helpful, recommending my family her favorite restaurants in Istanbul and favorite Turkish delight store. We started in the European side of Istanbul and tasted delicious Turkish breakfast meals such as water buffalo yogurt with honey (highly recommended). Then, as a group, she led us to the ferry and we headed over to Asia. The walking is not too much at all - I thought it was quite pleasant!

What I loved the best was that Gonca led us to very local eating spots that as a tourist that I probably would not have found on my own. We stopped at many different spots and she delighted us with cultural backgrounds for each of our foods.

I highly recommend this tour to everybody who is open to trying new foods. Even if you don't have the biggest appetite like me, you can nibble little bits here and there and really get to know Turkey! If you have two days in Istanbul, spend one day seeing the sights and the other joining this tour!

2  Thank Florence H

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A fun food adventure. Captured the culture and tastes of Istanbul. Gonca was charming. Was a highlight of our July visit to Istanbul.

3  Thank RoamingRunyon
Reviewed 8 August 2014

A group of friends and I were shown the delights of Istanbul by the wonderful Gonca, she gave us such insight into the Turkish culture and delighted us with wonderful local food and markets. I so enjoyed our day and couldn't go home without buying some tasty treats and turkish tea set to bring home to Australia. Suitable for any fitness level, easy street walking. Highly recommend this as part of your trip, going on our first day really opened us up to the culture for the rest of our trip. Love love love!

3  Thank Casey-Pitkin
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I took the "Culinary secrets of the Old City" tour with Gonca and enjoyed every minute. We explored places we would never go to as tourists and the food we ate was way better than in the touristy areas. There were only 2 couples on the tour so it was more like just a stroll with friends and Gonca was a relaxed and very informative guide (despite being in a lot of pain from a fall only that morning !!) . Warning to pace yourself with the food though as by the end we were completely full - could not eat any dinner that night. Highly recommended !!

3  Thank Kylie A
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We experienced this small group tour(5), and loved it. Our guide Gonca, was lovely, very warm and really knew her way around. We managed to eat our way across the 2 continents, the quality and variety of each place we stopped was first class. Although we could purchase most of what we tasted, we never felt any pressure to buy. This is a great way to see a side of Istanbul that you would never find on your own.

3  Thank rob f