“I was not impressed”

The House Hotel Bosphorus
Ranked #153 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I booked at this hotel based on reviews in trip advisor. First let me say that I understand that different people come out from same situation with different experiences. Therefore, I don’t question the good reviews here. I am just writing my experience.
My checking took more than 30 minutes which seemed to me forever. I stayed in Deluxe Suite in first floor. The suite as you might expect and see from the Hotel website was great, specious, clean, well decorated. However, I was not able to enjoy the view of my room . I kept the curtains close most of the time because right in front of my room balcony was a restaurant balcony with people sitting. I defiantly didn’t want to be subject of their entertainment while walking around my room or resting in bed half naked. I was not able to get a room in higher levels because the hotel was fully booked due to high season. As everyone here advises, make sure to book a room in higher floors. It happened two times in afternoon that I forgot to lock the door and room service guy entered my room and I had to shout at him to back off. I was under impression that hotels have a system to know if a guest is in room or not. Thanks god I had cloth on.
I did not like the quality, quantity or selections of the breakfast buffet . Maybe I was partly disappointed because I was expecting too much before arriving. The location and view is good. But nothing special about the service or ambiances. This was my second visit to Istanbul and next time I will find a better hotel with this price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank BaHaar
There are newer reviews for The House Hotel Bosphorus

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We had a fantastic long weekend here for my fiance's birthday. The hotel is located on the shores of the Bosphorus river which means that it has outstanding views. Ortakoy is a very lively area with lots of good restaurants and bars and the hotel is right in the midst of it all!

Our favourite elements of the hotel were its architecture (in a listed building), decor and ambience. We loved the room we were in, the decor and the large comfortable bed. It was a really stylish hotel throughout and no more so than the amazing restaurant/bar area which has wide glass doors that open out onto the Bosphorus during summer time. Having breakfast and dinner there was one of the highlights our of stay because of the stunning views.

Above everything else, I'd recommend the hotel on the strength of the attention to detail and excellent service from the hotel manager, Bahar. Bahar helped me plan in detail a day of activities and a superb evening meal for my partner's birthday. This involved several emails back and forth before we'd even arrived, Bahar couldn't do enough to help. On the day, she arranged an amazing champagne breakfast and we were surprised and delighted to receive a lovely cake in the afternoon too. My fiance had a great birthday and that was in large part thanks to Bahar and the Bosphorus House Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer building tend to be more noise proof for light sleepers.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
House_Hotel, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Dear TomorrowTheWorld,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about The House Hotel Bosphorus in detail.

My entire staff and I appreciate your recognition and wonderful feedback very much, this is the biggest reward to us all.

It was my pleasure assisting you plan this special birthday trip for your fiancé. I am a big believer in the importance of details and small touches as these make an experience unique and memorable. We are so pleased your first time stay at our hotel was great in all aspects.

Looking much forward to welcoming you back to Bosphorus.

Warm regards to London,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 January 2013

The location is outstanding, I had a room with a view of the Bosphorus river. While the room itself was small, it had a very comfortable bed, the bathroom was nicely furnished and they provided complimentary coffee and tea. The fitness room was adequate, breakfast was sumptuous - also with a great view.
Outside the hotel are lots of small cafes and bars. There are a lot of cheaper options, but if you can afford it, it is really nice to stay here.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the Bosphorus
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank lazarusmunich
House_Hotel, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear Lazarusmunich,

Greetings from Istanbul! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus.

I am very happy you enjoyed our hotel and our amenities. We appreciate your kind feedback very much.

When your travels take you back to Istanbul, we hope to see you again here in Ortakoy.

Warm regards to Munchen,

Reviewed 22 January 2013

This hotel is a little away from the old town but is located at a ferry terminal and attracts lots of locals. The rooms are well equipped but a bit over heated. The bathrooms are small. The breakfasts are excellent and the views from the breakfast lounge are fantastic. The staff were very helpful. The associated casual bar and restaurant was always buzzing and a great place for a light meal. We used a fair but of public transport to get to and from once we had found our way in a taxi. Easy bus ride to Taksim square. On Saturday night it did get a bit noisy as the locals celebrated but our rooms overlooked the small square.

Room Tip: If there on a weekend ask for a room that does not over look the square as a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
House_Hotel, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Erica S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus.

It was a pleasure meeting you and having you experience our hotel during your stay in Istanbul. I am very happy you enjoyed our hotel as well as our location. It is great to hear you took advantage of public transportation as Ortakoy is indeed a convenient spot to be based in when discovering the city.

Very much looking forward to seeing you again when you travel back to Turkey.

Warm regards to Perth,

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We had the pleasure of taking advantage of a seasonal promotion, staying 4 nights in room 305, which is a Superior room overlooking the water and features one of our favorite bathroom-in-room units ever. It is all mirrors and glass and makes the room seem twice as big as it really is. Fabulous service from the staff and manager, who was clued into all the right places in Istanbul and got us a last minute reservation at Ulus 29 (fabulous) on a busy Saturday night. They also let you order in from the local 24-hour pide restaurant as room service--very handy after too many drinks at nearby Lucca. We didn't want for anything at this boutique hotel, primarily due to its location. There is a Radisson Blu with a serviceable spa right next door. Bottom-line, we got world-class value for money in the hands of a management that gets it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
House_Hotel, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear Nathan_Peters,

It was a pleasure meeting you both and having you stay in one of our Superior Bosphorus rooms overlooking the sensational view. I am so happy you enjoyed our hotel with all the details and got to experience my local favorites.

Special thanks for your recognition and this amazing feedback which mean such a great deal to all of us here at the hotel.

Looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Istanbul.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We would like to express here our very positive attidude and share here our great and only positive emotions about staying in a House Hotel Bosphorus. I would say it is a unique place. The hotel staff is very helpfull and friendly, the area is great for Bosphorus lovers.
Very good location (Kabatas is in 5 min.)
Nina

Room Tip: ask an advice from a hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
House_Hotel, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2013

Dear NikaKiev,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus. We appreciate your recognition very much.

It was a pleasure meeting you and welcoming you to our hotel. I am very happy you enjoyed your experience and had a good trip in Istanbul.

Looking much forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards to Kiev,

Reviewed 12 January 2013

Right in a busy, well heeled neighbourhood, this was a smart, buzzy design hotel. Great terraces for drinks and dinner, with a great atmosphere. Room, overall was alrge, but was divided into 2, with the sleeping side reather small, as with the bathroom. The 'lounge' area had more space, and, if it were re me, I would have given the preferential sapce to the sleeping quarters. Nice touches such as complimentary fruit and nut plates were a nice touch, and the location on the Bosphorus is great, as you have the ferry 'terminal' on your doorstep. A great way to see the city from the water and great value.

People often make places, and Metin, one of the day conceirges was absolutely brilliant. If there was an award from best hotel concierge in the world, then he'd get it. Nothing was too much trouble, restaurant reservations, booking spas, and even took me on a 15 min walk to get a realy cut throat razor shave where the locals go. This was a great experience and embarrassingly cheap.

If it had a pool, then it would get a 5!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear LubricationWine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus in detail. My team and I greatly appreciate your feedback.. Metin is particularly grateful for your recognizing his genuine and dedicated approach.

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our unique location. Taking the ferry is indeed such a beautiful and convenient way of travel in Istanbul not to mention convenient.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another great experience.

Warm regards to New Zealand,