“Heavenly!”

Ranked #162 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Pilton, United Kingdom
“Heavenly!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed for six nights in July and loved every minute of it! The combination of fabulous decor (by Turkish Interior Design company Autoban), wonderful staff (very attentive but not too formal), heavenly views (choose a room overlooking the Bosphorus), an extremely comfortable mattress and bedding (so important!) and a totally rocking little neighborhood below us (Ortakoy) ticked all the boxes! Yes, the back of the hotel may be a little noisy, but the front is not, especially on the higher floors. We booked the Penthouse Suite and didn't hear a thing! The view from the Penthouse balcony over the Bosphorus is fabulous and it's situated right next to the bridge linking Europe and Asia and the Ortakoy Mosque. The food in the restaurant is very good but there is an abundance of local and international choice just outside the front door. We especially recommend renting the House Hotel private boat to view Istanbul from the Bosphorus which gives you an entirely different perspective on this amazing city.
The House Hotel is a little gem of a place and we give it a ten out of ten. Please do visit, it's an experience not to be missed.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a Bosphorus view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Karina W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus as well as your terrific feedback. My team and I are grateful for your input.

I am very happy you enjoyed our Penthouse Bosphorus Suite – aka Simon Kalfa Suite – as it is truly one of a kind. It is wonderful to hear you liked our small neighborhood and experienced what Ortakoy is really all about. Being right on the Bosphorus is a truly unique Istanbul moment.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon and welcoming you back to Bosphorus.

My sincere thanks and best regards,

bahar.karaca@thehousehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Because of all the wonderful users on Tripadvisor we knew exactly what to expect. We were celebrating our ten year wedding anniversary while in Istanbul and for the first two nights had a wonderful time in Sultanahamet. For our last two nights, we wanted to see a different area of Istanbul - one with with an active night life and we wanted to stay in a hotel right on the Bosphorus. Ortakoy and the House Hotel met all our requirements.

If you are looking for a quiet night, Ortakoy and the House hotel is not for you, especially on the weekend. Also, vehicular traffic around the hotel after about 8 pm on the weekends is VERY bad. So, plan your travels accordingly.

One of the best features of the hotel is its view of the Bosphorus, so I would highly recommend getting a room with a Bosphorus view. Also, if you are planning on turning in early, try to get a room on a high floor to mitigate some of the street noise from the late night reveling.

The staff at the House Hotel are really great, especially Metin. On our last night we went to the restaurant in the hotel for dinner. We looked at the menu and nothing interested us. So, we decided to try someplace else. My wife wanted to try pide (similar to pizza). Metin literally walked with us across the street to a restaurant which, in his opinion, had the best pide in the area. He had a short conversation in Turkish with the owner/manager and then told us we would be taken care of and left. It was a very simple place, which I liked and we were seated on the rooftop. It was a beautiful night and we had a good view of all the bustle below us. We did not even have to order, Metin had taken care of all that for us. We never had pedi before, but this was delicious!

The night before, we had dinner at Park Fora - recommended to us by someone not associated with the House Hotel. By all means, skip Park Fora. Way too expensive for what it is. The simple pide we had, was better than anything we had at Park Fora.

Also, we had a lovely chat with the hotel manager, Bahar, before we left. Talked about the protests around Taksim square, shopping in Nisantasi, and her wonderful staff. Both Taksim square and Nisantasi are very close to the hotel, so if you get a chance, check out both. If you go to Nisantasi be sure to check out local designers such as Desa.

We look forward to our next visit to the House Hotel and the vibrant energy of the area.

Dear Smitha_75,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus in detail.

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us during this special anniversary trip. I shared your feedback with Metin and the rest of my team – they are thrilled you had a memorable time and recognized their efforts.

I know your feedback will be very useful for our potential guests and fellow travelers in terms of giving a realistic overview of our area. Ortakoy is a vibrant area and it is by no means quiet, especially in the Summer and on the weekends year-round.

Looking forward to the next time you will visit Istanbul so we can welcome you back.

My sincere thanks and warm regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed on a weeknight in Summer, and were upgraded to a penthouse (top floor) suite facing the bridge / Bosphorus. The upgrade was a nice touch as it was my birthday.

The river location, friendly staff & room interiors are great, but the music noise until after 3:30am from multilple venues was just incredible. I have never come across anything as bad (even in a hostel).

It's hard to believe such an expensive hotel could be so poorly located, and be so insufficiently soundproofed. I understand it is a heritage building and the windows have been double glazed, but the installation is poor & the windows are loose, so the sound comes straight in.

I am writing this review in part because I can't understand how the hotel has so many gushing & unqualified "excellent" reviews given the significant sound problem... The sound is certainly not just an issue for light sleepers or on the lower floors as some reviews say!

May be OK in the off-season, but would not recommend in Summer unless you plan to be out partying until the early hours!

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Lachymc
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Lachymc,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus and your candid thoughts.

It was a pleasure meeting you, I wish you a happy belated birthday hoping it was a nice start for your vacation.

I am disappointed your experience with us was less than perfect and having carefully read your review, I would like to address the point you raise with respect to noise. Ortakoy, which is an iconic neighborhood right on the Bosphorus, is an extremely vibrant area popular with visitors and locals. This area is always busy, especially in the Summer and on the weekends year-round and it is by no means quiet.

As you mentioned, our building is a landmark. There are strict rules and restrictions we have to adhere to when it comes to the façade and window frames. We do have double glazing but we are not permitted to change the original windows.

Since you had read the past reviews about our hotel, you must have noticed the fact that a great number of Tripadvisor users who had previously stayed in our hotel make it very clear in their reviews that our property is not located in a quiet neighborhood. These past reviews, which are all qualified I assure you, indeed talk about the noise factor of this hotel in one way or another. As it is such a subjective matter, people have different takes on the subject.

On a last note, I realize you did not agree with the value to price ratio. May – October are peak months for Istanbul and all hotels are very busy throughout entire city. With our hotel being right on the Bosphorus with only 26 rooms, rates are purely based on occupancy levels. As such, there are more affordable options in very quiet neighborhoods for your future reference.

Wishing you a wonderful trip in Turkey.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A superb hotel in a buzzy and exciting location with excellent facilities and attentive staff who are professional, courteous and responsive - and this combination translates into a First Class experience.The tone is set by the GM who is attentive in a very low profile way and who ensures that every guest is looked after and their needs attended to - and this creates a very relaxed and "homely" environment. The Room could not be faulted and the views are second to none.
I have stayed in a number of the larger 5 Star Hotels along the Bosphorus in the past but the House Hotel is in a class of it's own and I will recommend this as the place to stay in Istanbul both to our friends and to business colleagues alike. A 10 out of 10 and our thanks to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms looking directly on to the Bosphorus !
Dear Gary,

Heartfelt thanks for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus by this amazing, candid review.

On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, I want to thank you for your words and recognition. This feedback is exactly what my team and I strive for.

We are very happy you experienced our one-and-only Penthouse Bosphorus Suite and thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Bosphorus.

My sincere thanks and warm regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Super nice view of the Bosporus from the lobby and the rooms (if well oriented :)).
-Very comfortable bed, clean bathroom, and nice sofa in front of the large windows facing the Bosporus. Not all the rooms are as good (changed room as the one that was given originally was facing hotel wall and next to floor trash room).
-Stunning breakfast room with view and terrace. Great food,choice too!
- service at reception and coffee lobby was poor for such a hotel. Smiles are not included too;)

Stayed September 2012
Dear Hussein D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus, especially one year after following your stay.

Many thanks for your feedback about our hotel and accommodations. In terms of your thoughts on service, I am disappointed to read your comments as service philosophy is what makes our hotel stand out the way it has been. I would be much interested in getting your further thoughts on the subject, my email is address is below for your records should you wish to share them with me.

We look forward to seeing you again in our hotel on a future trip to Istanbul.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The House Hotel is a gem, and not just because of its magnificent architecture or fantastic location, but also because the staff put every possible effort to make our stay comfortable and unique. They helped me prepare a surprise engagement evening while transiting through Istanbul and went beyond the call of duty to make this day most memorable and magical. All of the staff, from the hotel manager to the front desk clerks and the barman, were so attentive and considerate. The quality of service, kindness and extra care have meant so much to us and turned our experience into one of the most memorable moments of our lives. Besides, the location offers splendid views over some of the most beautiful Bosphorus landmarks, and the hotel itself is a treasure of elegance, design and comfort. It also offers great services, which we barely had to time to indulge in, except for the private boat cruise that – needless to say – is a must when discovering Istanbul.

Room Tip: The desk staff is extremely helpful and responsive to questions online, I certainly recommend sharin...
Dear Antoine,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience about The House Hotel Bosphorus.

It was great a pleasure to witness this special occasion in your lives. We are very happy to know we were able to help make this exciting time unforgettable for you.

Thank you for your recognition and feedback. Please know that you will always have a “home” in Istanbul whenever you decide to come back to celebrate many more special occasions.

On behalf of the entire team The House Hotel Bosphorus, I send you our heartfelt congratulations and warm wishes.

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

This is what a boutique hotel should be all about. Impeccable service, high quality accommodation and a loction with stunning views of the Bosporous and the Asian side across the starit. The staff are super friendly and will go out of their way to make you feel at home. This is simple a must stay in hotel if you are in istanbul. It is located at the water front in the quaint little market and restaurant area of Ortakoy. Rooms are comfortable with all the amenities you need. Internet access is free all over the hotel and works very well. My room was a bit small and with no space for working. Never mind; why not sit in the cafe with you laptop and enjoy a coffee and the view! Breakfast is delicious and a great way to start your day. The gym is very small bur okay for a light workout. I will be back for sure

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Christian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about The House Hotel Bosphorus following your stay.

I am very happy that you enjoyed our hotel with all its attributes. Many thanks for your wonderful feedback and recognition.

We look forward to seeing you again.