Stray Cat Hostel
US$119
Hotel Sultania(Istanbul)
US$133
  • Breakfast included
DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$393
US$1,290
US$425
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The location was great:easy to reach almost every place you want to visit. The stuff was always nice,friendly and helpful. The place is not very clean, but let's be realistic: if u have such demands (rich breakfast,perfect services ) then why don't u go to a 5* hotel ? Why do you go to Istanbul? To stay indoors or to go out and visit as much as you can? Personally, I don't care how clean a place is as long as it is decent and offers the basic necessities:hot/cold water,shower,WC,a bed. The place looks better than it should for its prices. Besides there is a breakfast included, which never happened to me before in a hostel. I must also say,I did not stay in many hostels :) . The breakfast was enough for me, but I don't eat too much,especially in the morning. There is water and coffee for free at any time.
Now, if u don't like cats and the dirt they leave behind, then u should go somewhere else. But,if u like cats and u can handle the fact that they are not like us,and cannot take showers every day,then you will survive!
Remember! You are there to visit one of the most interesting places in the world, a place where you won't be able to fully understand its civilization and traditions! You will miss all of these if you keep complainig about the things you do not like!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nebthet
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stray cat hostel in a great location between taksim and the harbour of ferries that sail to the islands, going down just a bit down the street you can have a tea on the water and watch the magic of istanbul, the hostel is infront of dia supermarket , for anything you might need , and a Burek shop close by , If you dont know burek , check it out !! inside the hostel chill out ambient , playing some backgammon or pick up a book from the library.. wifi all over the place .. special area for smokers and drinkers, around there are several friendly and cute house cats you can play with , you have an open minded manager which I love, so you got cheap prices ,clean and colorful bed sheets, new facilities .. breakfast really nice with surprises and with fruits , you got coffee tea all the time for free ! I really met up with nice and special people from all over the world , stray cats the best hostel in city!! , enjoy ,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank ZIGMONDFIDDLICH
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Very friendly staff and a great breakfast included, mostly young backpackers which suited us, there are cats everywhere in Istanbul,and a couple live in the hostel so if you don't like cats or are allergic it's not for you. Clean rooms and shared bathrooms which were not too bad. Over all,for the price it's worth it. And the location is great except for the hill! But to get to the shops and pubs you can't avoid it

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank J M
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I am really surprised that this hostel has received the amount of favourable reviews that it has. I have stayed in many youth hostels all over the world, and would have to say that I think the Stray Cat is about the worst that I have ever stayed in. Admittedly it is cheap (although not that much cheaper than other equivalent accommodation in Istanbul); in a convenient location; and the free breakfast, where fresh fruit is served, is nice.

Other than its few good points, I think this hostel should be avoided. Numerous malnourished-looking stray cats roam inside of the premises; sleep on the couches in the lobby; and jump on the table where breakfast is served in the morning. When I stayed at the Stray Cat, I was bitten extremely badly by insects (perhaps fleas) that I believe were carried by the stray cats themselves. The bites I received were so severe that a pharmacist who was staying at the hostel suggested that I should perhaps seek medical attention for them. When my bites were brought to the attention of the manager (who my travelling companions and I agreed was quite unfriendly and unhelpful) his solution was to spray the couches in the lobby with mortein. I doubt that strategy would be all that effective. I would have sought to avoid the lobby and its stray cats, but the lobby is the only place in the hostel where wifi is available. Smoking is also allowed in the lobby which may be appealing if you're a smoker, but if not, the smoke and smell of stale smoke that permeates the hostel is unappealing.

Other than the stray cats, the hostel itself did not seem clean or well maintained. The sheet on my bed had human hair on it, and the towel that I was given was stained. During the day, the toilet paper in the bathroom would run out and wouldn't be replaced. Also, the bathroom has no fan, window, or other form of ventilation, meaning that it is extremely damp and smells of mildew. I know, of course, that the Stray Cat is a hostel and not a five-star hotel, but I still think that a basic level of cleanliness should be maintained, and in this case, it was lacking.

The staff were average. I think this could be due to the fact that the hostel (as far as I understand it) allows volunteers to work at front desk and, in exchange, stay at the hostel for free. Some of these staff were nice, others were not, and their level of knowledge about Turkey was not sufficient.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank EAM84
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stray cat is perfectly located right down the hill (which yes, you will have to walk up!) from Taksim Square. Its great for people who want to be close enough to the live-music and nightlife of this awesome area while still sleeping in a quiet space. There really are no frills so don't expect any and you'll love stray cat- the people are the real draw card here- there is a social area thats very social and the staff are super chilled and helpful when needed. Great takeaway food ordered by the staff should you get hungry and feel lazy. Bathrooms could be cleaner, but hey, you're a stray cat, right? Kitties are lovely, no smell of pee. Smoking in the social space- loved this as a smoker, but if you're not, it could get annoying. had a great time here!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo