“A warm and comfortable boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Minel Hotel

Minel Hotel
Ranked #186 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Toronto
“A warm and comfortable boutique hotel”
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I recently stayed at Minnel Hotel for 3 nights after working in the middle of nowhere for 6 months. I arrived exhausted and didn’t have energy to do much, so it was really nice that the staff were so welcoming. I loved that the entrance/reception area was basically a coffee shop – free wifi, books on the shelves and always asked whether I wanted tea or coffee every time I stepped in. The room was cozy and bathroom had a clean and modern design. I felt like I was staying in somebody’s home more than a hotel, especially breakfast in the morning when they made fresh omelette and never without a smile.

The hotel itself is on a quiet street but few min walk to the Gulhane park and tram station, less than 10 min to the Blue Mosque and all kinds of restaurants and cafe along the way. As soon as I arrived, Irfan gave me a map and pointed out all the places I could check out, how to get there and practical information such as transportation cost. I used the shuttle bus service because I had a big luggage, which was $8 USD going to the airport (25 to be picked up from). But if you want to take public transportation, direction would be given to you when you booked the hotel.

The only thing I would comment on was that perhaps it was location of my room or the walls were too thin, but on my last night, I could hear the people in the next room. Not because they were playing loud music, just their normal conversation tone. I was already having trouble sleeping and didn’t have earplugs, so that would be the only unpleasant part.

But overall, I adore this place and will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank becca108

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Nos hospedamos en una habitación triple a principios de enero: fue una estadía corta ya que Estambul era sólo una escala en nuestro viaje: nos permitió visitar los sitios más conocidos y explorar un poco la ciudad.
El Minel es muy limpio, bien calefaccionado, con excelente WiFi y nunca faltó agua caliente (hemos tenido "interesantes" experiencias en otros lugares). Por supuesto se encuentra muy bien ubicado: se encuentra en una callecita escondida detrás de un restaurante (muy tranquila y segura, aunque volviéramos tarde) a tan sólo 50 metros del Museo Arqueológico y el Palacio de Topkapi y a 150 metros de Santa Sofía y la Basilica Cistern. Caminamos todo el tiempo, aunque el tram/metro para prácticamente en la puerta.
Además de sitios arqueológicos e históricos, teníamos casas de cambio, comidas y algún supermercado cerca. Y caminando 300 metros, la avenida comercial.
Más allá de las ventajas y comodidad de la ubicación, debo destacar la atención: Irfan (una verdadera joya), Gonul y todos los que trabajan en el hotel (la cocinera, de la que lamentablemente no recuerdo el nombre, es excelente y muy, muy amable -¡excelente desayuno, por cierto!). Nos recibieron siempre con una sonrisa, un consejo, ayuda con las valijas (no tienen ascensor y nuestra habitación estaba en el 3er piso: Irfan no nos dejó subir un sólo bolso) y una taza de té o café. Incluso, cuando llovía, tenían paraguas de cortesía para enfrentarnos a la helada lluvia de enero.
En definitiva: un lugar perfecto para volver nuevamente a explorar la ciudad y reencontrarse con amigos.

Un sólo detalle: aunque aceptan tarjeta de crédito, prefieren que los huéspedes paguen en efectivo (esto nos pasó en distintos lugares de Medio Oriente: ténganlo en cuenta si se están moviendo solamente con plástico).

ENGLISH VERSION (sorry about any grammatical errors: English is not my first language):
We stayed in a triple room at the beginning of January: it was a short stay, since Istanbul was only a stop in our trip: it allowed us to visit the more famous sites and explore a bit of the city.
The Minel is very clean, well heated, great WiFi connection, and we never lacked hot water for a shower (we've had "interesting" experiences in other places). Of course the location is great: it is in a hidden street behind a restaurant (very quiet and safe, even if we were coming back late at night) only 50 mts from the Archaeological Museum and the Topkapi Palace, and 150 mts from Hagia Sofia and the Basilica Cistern. We walked all the time, even if there is a tram/metro stop almost at the door.
Besides the archaeological and historical sites, we were very close to an exchange office, several food places and a small supermarket. And we were 300 mts from the commercial avenue.
Besides the great location, I must say that one of the greater factors (one I'm taking into account for future visits) is the staff: Irfan (a real gem), Gonul and everyone that works at the hotel (unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the cook, who is absolutely great and very, very nice -wonderful breakfast, by the way!-). They always made us feel welcome, with a big smile, good advice, help with the lugagge (the hotel doesn't have an elevator, and our room was in the 3rd floor: Irfan, courteously, didn't let us lift a bag), and a cup of tea or coffee. Even when it was raining they had umbrellas so we could face the cold january rain.
To sum it up: a perfect place to return, explore the city and meet again.

Only one detail: even if they accept credit cards, the hotel prefers that guests pay in cash (that has happened everywhere in our journey through the Middle East, so take it into account if you plan to travel using only plastic).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnabelleCas
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Minel Hotel is excellent: the location is perfect; our room was confortable and clean; breakfast was delicious. The staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpful: I stayed there for eight days with my wife and my 13 years old daughter, and we felt ourselves at home!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My daughter stayed here with a friend for 5 days over the new years break. She found the staff to be very friendly & helpful. Breakfast was excellent. Very centrally located. She will definitely stay again. Rooms are tiny but clean & warm.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

We could not have chosen a better hotel in Istanbul. Close to everything...Blue mosque, Aya Sofya, Grand Bizarre, Topkapi Palace and the tram stop is just round the corner. The thing that stood out about Minel hotel was that it was more like a home than a hotel. The staff were fantastic especially Irfan who was full of valuable information and so very helpful! The rooms were modern, clean, cosy and we got fresh towels each day. Breakfast was delicious and served with a smile each morning! So many restaurants to choose from just a step outside the door. Highly recommend this little gem to anyone travelling to Istanbul!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jana N
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The hotel is located perfectly – close to the main city sights, within walking distance from the Bosporus, close to tram stations.
Hotel’s rooms are small but very good; beautiful design, accessories are selected tastefully, bedclothes are excellent.
The service is at high level. Staff is very friendly, always ready to help, to show and to explain. I booked the hotel via HRS system that let me down – the hotel was not informed about my reservation, and on my arrival in Istanbul there was no room available. The hotel managers assisted me with another hotel for 1 night, even helped with my bags. It was of high importance for me because I was dead beat after 14-hour travelling by bus. After the managers found an available room for me and I stayed in the Minel Hotel as it was planned before. Besides the price of the room was left unchanged as per the earliest booking.
Also I liked breakfasts so much, especially hot oven-fresh cheese pies, simits and cheese omelettes.
I will come back to Istanbul once again and I am going to stay in the Minel Hotel. I have already booked a room there for September. I can easily recommend this hotel not only to my friends.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank KorizzaNinja
Firenze
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This hotel has a great location: it's near to the major historical attraction of the town. The thing that I will always remember will be the kindness of the staff: they are helpfull.
The rooms were cleaned every day and they change towels daily.
Breakfast is various and good.
Our Istanbul trip was very pleasant even thanks for Minel Hotel's staff kindness.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family