“Not all it's cracked up to be”
Review of Bada Bing Hostel

Bada Bing Hostel
Ranked #81 of 1,236 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I booked to stay at the Bada Bing Hostel for 3 nights in late July/early August 2011. However, I only lasted one night (about 8 hours actually)! The hostel only opened 2 months ago and is new and the manager, Valkan, is very nice. It also has free wifi.

The major reason for my checking out early was the sweltering heat in the dorm. I was staying in an 8 bed female only dorm on the second floor. Downstairs on the ground floor was pretty hot, the first floor a bit hotter, the second floor really hot. I got to the hostel at 11pm at night and it was so hot I could not sleep (and I'm from Australia, and don't mind the heat). I think it would have been about 30degrees in there. The dorm was only half full so with 8 women in there I can't imagine how it would be. Because it was so hot inside most people sit outside the hostel talking late into the night and the sound travels into the open windows in the hostel, so it's noisy too.

The other negative was the breakfast. On the website it is plugged as a 'help yourself' breakfast. It consisted of a bowl of corn flakes and one litre of milk. The breakfast also only starts at 8am, which is too late in my opinion as if you are booked to do a tour, they can pick you up from your accommodation as early as 8am. The milk ran out by 8:15am and there wasn't a replacement carton. I'm not sure if there would be, as I was leaving and the breakfast is 8-10am or until it's gone (Valkan's words!).

The bathroom is very new and as nice as in the picture. Three toilets and 2 showers per floor. Something weird was there is a sign inside the toilet door that says "Please put all dirty toilet paper in the bin. Yes ALL dirty toilet paper :)" There was a small bin next to each toilet that had toilet paper overflowing out of it in the morning, so I guess the plumbing can't cope with toilet paper. Other than that, the bathroom I used was spotless and obviously cleaned each day. Towels are available for hire at 4 Turkish Lira each and laundry costs a few Lira per kilo to do.

I picked this hostel because of the great reviews on tripadvisor, the location and price. For one tripadvisor has steered me wrong!

I haven't stayed in any other hostels in Istanbul so the heat and plumbing issues may just be what you have to live with.

In my opinion the current rating of this hostel as number 7 on tripadvisor is much too generous. I would give the hostel 3/5 and I would not stay here during the hotter months.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor as the second floor is very hot in summer
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Bada Bing Hostel

Reviewed 23 July 2011

Needed a hostel for one night in Istanbul. We weren't at the Bada Bing long, but the staff was very helpful. When we arrived, the manager sat down with us and gave us a map of Istanbul, outlined where we should go for lunch (we were starving after just arriving from New York), and gave us some more tips about the area.

The room was simple, bathrooms were nice. No AC meant we had the window open all night which meant we heard the alley cats all night - which was not ideal for 2 sleepy travelers.

Checking out was a little frustrating because the credit card machine didn't seem to be working so had to pay in cash.

My biggest issue with the Bada Bing was the location. It was on a very hard to find side street and our cab driver drove around the area for about 30 minutes asking people for directions before we finally found it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2011

İ stayed total for 4days. it was so confortable for me to stay at anytıme. all staff were very kind for me and facilities were enough to stay. thank you very much for everythıng.ıf i have a oppotunity to come ıstanbul again, i'm sure i wıll be bace^^

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We had a really good time in this hostel and we recommand it to everybody. Hosts are very helpfull and friendly. We had a great time with them. Thanks for all

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I've been more then 20 times in Istanbul and Turkey.I've stayed over 50 hostels and hotels. But this is different because of great hospitality.Manager...:) he is the man !... They really know the way to help people,They know the city like the back of their hand, but they also really understand other cultures and can help you make that link.The rooms, bathrooms are so clean.Most of the tourist prefer to stay in Sultanahmet because of location.but there are too much hassle buy carpet sellers :) ı like this place location, not far from the museums and the heart of the city Taksim... I don't know that i gave you a good information about this place but it was No:1 for me... Thanx again hope to see you soon :)

Fred

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChaBkk
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This is in a great location, far enough from the tourist area to be quiet at night but only a few minutes walk into the heart of Taksim and surrounding tourist (and local) hot-spots. It's spotlessly clean with comfy beds, hot showers, free wifi and extremely friendly and helpful staff.

I've stayed in a few hostels now in Istanbul and this one is by far my favourite! I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank CatiaVarekai
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Badabing hostel is the place to stay in every way.
Location: The location is excellent, it is outside touristy Sultanahmet (Sultanahmet is nice because of the main attractions but it is really sad that many tourists do not go out of Sultanahmet), Bada Bing is near Taxim (full of shops and bars), very near tophane (THE place to smoke nargile), near ortakoy (the famous place with the ortakoy mosque and view on the bosphorus bridge) and very near to Kabatas with boats to the islands and to the asian side.
Service: The service is good. The staff is very friendly, speaks english fluently and always willing to help. The reception is opened 24/7 and besides that its possible to enter the door with a code.
Safe: The doors are locked and Bada Bing is near a main road (so you dont have to walk trough many small dark streets).
Clean: Bada Bing is a new hostel and very clean.
Price: Bada Bing has very reasonable prices! Including breakfast, free tea and wifi!

Sabrina (Netherlands) june 2011