“Good location, small room”

Sura Design Hotel & Suites
Ranked #105 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good location, small room”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I had two different rooms in three days. The hotel didn't have the room that I reserved at my arrival. I reserved a Superior room with a king bed or two single beds. I asked for two beds room and they gave me a simple double bed. I reserved a room with a balcony facing the garden, but they gave me a room with a window, and later a room with a "balcony" facing the street. In theory, the room that I reserved had 30 square meters, but the last room, which I had for two nights, had less than 20. Very small room. Their bathrooms had a crystal door that doesn't close. A lot of noise from a construction in front of the hotel. Staff was OK, not completely helpful. The restaurant was very nice! Delicious international and Turkish food! Breakfast was fine: first day a long line for omelets, second day: nobody preparing omelets! The best thing of this hotel is the location, but a little bit pricy for that small and noisy room.

Room Tip: Don't take any room facing the street!!! Don't pay extra money for a room with balcony becau...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Really enjoyed staying at this location so close to the Old City. Our rooms were well appointed, clean, and the staff was super friendly. The location just couldn't be beat and you didn't feel like you were in a stuffy designy hotel.The buffet breakfast is great (they had a honeycomb!) and the interio was definitely designed by someone who was intent on creating a mood. I did not think the design was too over the top as for Turkey, it felt right at place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Sura hotel is in the perfect location, just minutes walking distance to all of the major sights. Their staff is extremely friendly and eager to go out of their way to accommodate you at any hour of the day and night!

• Stayed November 2013
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Enjoyed our stay in a triple bed room. Wide selection of breakfast foods. Internet was slow on some days. Room was at the front of the building, which was approximately 20 feet away from a construction site. The hotel location is less than 5 min walk from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. You can hear calls for Muslim prayers throughout the Sultanahmet area, which starts at about 5am everyday. The elevators are very small, can fit about 3 average size people. Lighting at the stairs is dim and there is no handrail.

Room Tip: For quietness, ask for a room at the back of building and away from elevators
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda Y
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Took about 30 minutes from Ataturk Airport and cost about TL42. Make sure you have the address and phone number written down to assist the taxi driver to locate the Hotel. The Hotel is on a very small street and for my entire 4 day stay there I never figured out which direction traffic was supposed to travel on the street.

Check in was very fast and my room, located on the second floor, was quite nice. I think the floors are colour coded and I got the turqoise floor, a bit of an assault on the senses but grew on you. I had opted for a room facing the garden behind the Hotel which is slightly more expensive but came with a walk out balcony which was very nice during the sunny afternoons. The room had a bit too many mirrors for my liking but it was quite spacious. Seemed to have a problem with detecting the wifi on my iphone but after I detected it on the lobby floor, it seemed to then resolve the issue.

Breakfast is located in the basement and is quite adequate given that it was included in the room rate. Only complain here was that I couldn't figure out their opening times. On the first day I went down at 6.30am and was immediately shown to a table but the following day I was told that they only started serving from 7.30am.

Best thing about this Hotel is it's location, you are about 10 minutes walk from the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Mosque) ...need I say more!!!

Room Tip: Get the garden view rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My sister and I visited Turkey at the end of September 2013 and had a wonderful stay at the Sura Hotel.

Sura is ideally located next to Sultan Ahmet, the main high street in Istanbul, with local attractions, such as Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Hajjia Sophia within walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel was very clean, rooms were spacious and the staff extremely friendly and attentive and gave us genuine advice about the best way to get around the city. We met Oya, the guest relations manager of Sura, a lovely lady who really made sure we enjoyed our stay in Turkey to the fullest.

Breakfast is definitely something to look forward to, offering a range continental dishes, as well as a few local Turkish cuisines. The Turkish tea and fresh pomegranate juice is something not to miss out on. The Kebab House, the hotel’s restaurant also serves delicious Turkish dishes.

It was one of the best trips my sister and I ever had, a beautiful and unique place, rich in its history and culture that we sensed in every small shop we entered and through the people we met.

I highly recommend the Sura Hotel to everyone and I will be staying there again on my next trip to Turkey.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends