“Nice one, good overall”

Ranked #110 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Nice one, good overall”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have always been fascinated by Turkey so when we had the chance to visit, we made sure that our hotel was memorable, and it sure was. Every detail of the hotel seems to be well-thought of. It truly displayed the Turkish tradition and culture which we truly loved. The service was excellent, with their great customer personalization. I was surprised they knew my name when I answer the phone. The facade is elegant and modern and the interior, especially our room was luxurious. We had our own balcony overlooking the garden and the nighttime sky. It was really nice to relax, stay within the city but not feel like it. It was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had a couple of overnight layovers in Istanbul and found this place online after good reviews.

First, the location is ideal, right in the center Sultanahmet and a 3 min walk from the Sultanahmet tram stop. This is the area you want if you want to check out the most foremost cultural spots in Istanbul.

As for the hotel, the room was clean and decently sized. The decor is pretty modern with the TV behind a glass wall (you'll know what I mean when you see it). You also get a pretty good breakfast in the morning.

But the reason I am writing this review is because I had erroneously booked the wrong night and arrived a day before my actual reservation. I only needed one night and had already prepaid it through another website. The manager could have made me pay for the night or turned me away but he was gracious enough to let me use my prepaid night early.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JC10001
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

lovely chic boutique hotel in the heart of Sultanahmet district. The hotel is only a very short walk from the metro stop in a lovely street full of restaurants. beautifully decorated and very well appointed rooms with friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Sura Hotel & Suites is ideally located within Sultanahmet, only a short walk away from most of the major old city sights. The rooms were tidy and well equipped, but what really stood out was the friendliness of the staff. Especially one young employee, Asude, helped us with every wish we articulated - and some we didn't - and generally was attentiveness personified. She even taught us how to properly drink Turkish coffee! A wonderful stay, highly recommended!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Houston, TX
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked this since the Four Seasons was full. One of the key advantages of the hotel is the location – Sultanahmet. You are within very easy walking distance of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern, and the Great Palace Mosaic Museum. Fantastic. The disadvantage is that your cab driver may not be able to get to it. A typical 50 minute cab ride devolved into a 2 hour fiasco were we told our cab driver we would walk the last couple of blocks. Yes, we gave him precise directions and provided multiple maps for him to reference – the problem was a rubix cube of one way streets, construction, and parking on one way streets (no less than five delivery vehicles blocked the entry to the hotel).

Although we arrived at 2 pm our room was not available and thus we elected to have lunch at their restaurant. Service was solid and the food good although not particularly memorable. Several buildings across from the street are being renovated to be incorporated into the hotel so there is active, ongoing construction that starts at 8 am (including Sundays). We certainly understand the need for expansion but those who wish to sleep in may want to note this and plan accordingly. Breakfast was also solid but held in the basement (the meeting room area has been appropriated during the renovation). There seems to be a trend for putting the breakfast area in the most depressing dark area of the hotel – this needs to stop.

The rooms were an average size and although clearly recently renovated, I will predict will not fair well on wear over the long haul. The light blue carpet already had evidence of stains, the bathroom cabinet has sustained water damage (likely because the sink is set too low), and the head boards were made of a flimsy plastic that will easily fracture if a large individual were to lean heavily against them. The TV is embedded in a mirrored wall at the foot of the bed. This feature seems better suited to a more “frisky” clientele (read between the lines).

Overall this is a reasonable, inexpensive hotel to stay in if your goal is to see the sites but is clearly undergoing transitions that detract from the experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I had two different rooms in three days. The hotel didn't have the room that I reserved at my arrival. I reserved a Superior room with a king bed or two single beds. I asked for two beds room and they gave me a simple double bed. I reserved a room with a balcony facing the garden, but they gave me a room with a window, and later a room with a "balcony" facing the street. In theory, the room that I reserved had 30 square meters, but the last room, which I had for two nights, had less than 20. Very small room. Their bathrooms had a crystal door that doesn't close. A lot of noise from a construction in front of the hotel. Staff was OK, not completely helpful. The restaurant was very nice! Delicious international and Turkish food! Breakfast was fine: first day a long line for omelets, second day: nobody preparing omelets! The best thing of this hotel is the location, but a little bit pricy for that small and noisy room.

Room Tip: Don't take any room facing the street!!! Don't pay extra money for a room with balcony becau...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Really enjoyed staying at this location so close to the Old City. Our rooms were well appointed, clean, and the staff was super friendly. The location just couldn't be beat and you didn't feel like you were in a stuffy designy hotel.The buffet breakfast is great (they had a honeycomb!) and the interio was definitely designed by someone who was intent on creating a mood. I did not think the design was too over the top as for Turkey, it felt right at place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple