“Best In The World!”

Ranked #5 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Mount Dora, Florida
“Best In The World!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I knew after our stay at the Neorion that it was one of the best hotels in the world. This week TA confirmed my evaluation by nominating this outstanding property as one of the best twenty-five hotels in the world.

The hotel achieves this status by doing everything right. The decor was themed after the many civilizations that have occupied the ancient lands of Turkey. Museum quality reproductions of artifacts are displayed in glass cases at the entrance to the hotel. You can spend lots of time just admiring this collection.

There is no check-in counter. There is a small desk where the hotel manager sits to make sure each reservation is managed correctly. In seconds your passports are copied, a bell boy has taken your luggage and you are in the hands of a guest coordinator who is happy to review your plans for your entire stay or just your afternoon. She will make reservations, provide maps, explain how to reach any place you want to go. If you were a bit apprehensive about being in Istanbul, this charming lady will make this go away.

Once in your hotel room you are cradled in tasteful, elegant luxury. The rooms, by Istanbul standards are huge. The decor is elegant and understated. The beds are comfortable. There is a choice of pillows. The pristine bathroom is finished in marble tiles. Our bathtub was almost deep enough for swimming. The linens were of high quality as were the amenities. Our balcony room had magnificent views of the Spice Bazaar area including the minarets of the New Mosque as well as the spectacular Suleymaniye Mosque.

The furniture is tasteful and comfortable. The flat screen TV has several English language channels. The wifi service in the room (and all over the hotel) is swift and reliable. I was not dropped a single time during out stay at the Neorion.

These elements are the things that qualify the Neorion as a world class hotel, and then there are the things that set it apart. There are little things like a candy bowl filled with Turkish Delight, or a fresh flower in a vase. There are bigger things such a the letter welcoming you. It is signed by the owner of the hotel and includes his personal cell phone number with an invitation to call that number any time you have an issue.

Which leads me to discuss the amazing staff of this hotel. I am confident that there are few calls to the owner. This staff is clearly well-selected and carefully trained. Many of the employees have advanced degrees from well-known universities. These skilled people know what you need before you know it. What I like most about the staff is that, in spite of the fact that they work at a luxury hotel, they are not snooty. They are cheerful, happy and most importantly personable. They all make me feel as if I am visiting a friend or beloved family member. From the minute you walk in the door they all know your name and we felt as if they completely embraced us into the Neorion family.

The public areas are lovely. They do not have a lobby. The have a living room, and it functions as a nice place to relax and visit with other guests. It is a good place to exchange experiences and pick up travel tips.

The breakfast area is nicely appointed. While the service is buffet style, the tables are white linen and served by pleasant young men who bring coffee, tea or anything else you might desire. Breakfast is a great experience. Typical offerings include normal Turkish breakfast foods, including tomatoes, cucumbers, olivers, rich yogurt, a variety of breads, and huge variety of jams, a honeycomb dripping with honey, and a variety of fresh fruit. There are eggs prepared in several different ways. There is a huge glass dispenser of fresh orange juice, and as well as Turkish tea there is brewed coffee, not something easily found in Istanbul.

In the afternoon, the breakfast area welcomes weary guests with snacks of fruit, sandwiches, soup and salad. These snacks are available for several hours in the late afternoon and evening. Just enough to give you the energy to dress for a lovely dinner.

The rooftop of the Neorion provides spectacular views of the Bosphorus including the beautiful Bosophorus Bridge which displays magnificent lighting each evening. Wine is served on the roof top at sundown, and it is a perfect way to end the day. Breakfast, afternoon snacks and wine on the rooftop are all included in the price of the room.

The spa is so elegant and so pristine that I think it looks like the cover of a travel magazine. In addition to a beautiful swimming pool and a whirlpool, there is also a small pool just for children. Since this area is all indoors it is available 12 months per year.

There are several areas for private massages and/or Turkish bath experiences. Our daughter spent a decadent morning experiencing all kinds of bathing and massage events. She still speaks of a bath made exclusively of tiny bubbles, and the most relaxing massage she has ever had.

The Neorion is located in what I believe to be a perfect place. The Sirkeci neighborhood borders Sultanahmet so visitors are close to all the historic sights, but not sleeping in the middle of what has become tourist central for Istanbul. Sirkeci, while adding more hotels and restaurants every year, still feels more like a Turkish neighborhood than a tourist neighborhood. There are carpet stores, and places to buy knick knacks to take home, but the salesmen are not aggressive.

Sirkeci is also within easy walking distance of the Spice Bazaar and the ferries at Eminonu. It is no more than a block or so away from the tram stop, which links you to almost all mass transit in Istanbul.

There are dozens of choices for meals from elegant multi-course rooftop restaurants to the tiny restaurants on Hodjapasa Street right across from the hotel. Here you can find every kind of kebob made in Turkey including the fantastic Cag Kebob.

Around the corner from the Neorion is the lovely little Cafe Meze, which became our favorite restaurant on our last trip to Istanbul. Affiliated with the Sirkeci Group, which also owns the Neorion you can also get to Cafe Meze from the breakfast room in the Neorion. The atmosphere here is simple and cozy. The staff is casual, vibrant and fun, but there is nothing casual about the food, which is magnificent. The lentil soup is the best in the city. Cafe Meze is a great asset for the Neorion.

There are not enough great words to use about this outstanding property. I love Istanbul. It is ancient and modern. It bridges Europe and Asia. It is enchanting and mysterious. The Turkish people are the most hospitable in the world. The Neorion is the perfect entrance into Istanbul, because it is all of these things under one single roof.

I only have one problem with the Neorion. I just do not want to leave the hotel. The room is so lovely. The staff is so personable and so much fun. The hotel is so interesting. I struggle to get out of the door and see something new in the city.

Room Tip: There are some great restaurants in addition to Cafe Meze. We loved the seafood at the Red River Pub...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Busy-retired
My dearest guest,
I am Faruk Boyacı,the owner of the hotel, I would like to thank you for your review about Neorion Hotel on tripadvisor.I appreciate your kind comments.
Accepting you also as a member of Neorion Hotel Family, we will be very happy to host you with the same passion in Neorion Hotel when you come back to Istanbul.

Faruk Boyacı

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We had a great stay at Neorion Hotel. The location of this hotel is perfect for visiting all of the historical sights in İstanbul. The staff was very helpful and extremely nice.Would recommend this hotel very highly to anyone visiting Old Istanbul.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jone C
My dearest guest,

Such comments motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path.

Kind regards,

Faruk Boyaci
Owner of the Hotel
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

lovely hotel.. a quet haven from the hustle and bustle just a few blocks away.. cocktails on the roof terrace sre magical.. sit and dream as the sun dips over the gilded roof tops and skyline ..

6th floor have best views..

Room Tip: 6th floor have views and terraces..
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gpstalent
Best Wishes from Istanbul Neorion Hotel Family

Owner of the Hotel
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I travel quite a bit for business so choosing a property that doesn't make me feel like I am at work, but can provide the quality of service I am used to receiving on business is not always an easy task. I chose the Neorion hotel because of reviews on Trip Advisor and crossed my fingers. I have to say, the reviews that everyone provided were spot on. The driver was there asd promised, the room was available (and very clean), the staff and the design of the lobby provided a very warm and welcoming atmosphere. I found the staff to be exceptional. They went above and beyond to help us. They arranged our guide, transportation, and always made sure we were set before heading out on our adventure of the day. What impressed me the most is that when we checked out of the hotel and were at the airport, we realized that we had left our daughter's stuffed animal. I was certain it was gone. The amazing thing is that they went and found Purple Rabbit and is shipping her back to the states for us!! One last thing - the location is great. The historical sites are within easy walking distance, and you can also reach the Asia side and the newer part of the city wtihin minutes. Istanbul and the Neorion will be seeing our family again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank LiveLife1st
Best Wishes from Istanbul Neorion Hotel Family,

Owner of the hotel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

We arrived late having missed our flight and were offered a large glass of red wine each which was very welcome. It was local Turkish wine which was really nice and on seeing our enthusiasm for it, the receptionist offered us two extra complimentary glasses which were brought up to our room. There was also Turkish Delight at reception and when I said it was my father's favourite sweet back home, we were presented with the gift of a box of Turkish Delight to take home to him (this in addition to those "gifted" at departure). These small but uncalled for touches reflected the whole attitude of the staff who were welcoming, friendly and most helpful throughout our stay.

Breakfast was absolutely fine with a mixture of hot and cold foods and there was a meze selection available in the afternoon which was a bit more basic, but not charged for so very welcome when we were peckish on returning to the hotel.

The hotel is just off the main tram route and easily walkable distance to the tram stops and some of the big historical sites in the old town. A well positioned hotel for getting around.

Our room was clean and comfortable with no noise problems.

All in all, very worthy of the top rating on trip advisor.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scott_London25
boyaci, Owner at Neorion Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Best Wishes from Istanbul Neorion Hotel Family

Owner of the hotel
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

We arrived at the airport at 5am in the morning after a long flight. The driver arranged by the hotel was waiting for us as we came into the arrivals hall without any complication. As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were told our room was ready for us and were offered a complimentary breakfast. Truely amazing!!!! The hotels interleading family room was exceptionally comfortable and spacious. All the staff go out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of. The hotel is very centrally located, with easy access to all the major sights.On the hotels recommendation we used a private tour guide - Bethul - to show us the sights. Spent a very interesting day with her. Well worth the money! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Istanbul!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TravelFanatic100
boyaci, Owner at Neorion Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2013

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

When the rating is as high as Neorion's, expectations may exceed the reality, right?! Well it wasn't the case during our 6-night stay. The hotel is new and beautifully appointed, service is excellent, location is perfect, breakfasts are tasty and varied, Turkish bath is excellent, ... do you want me to continue?!! The way how Mr. Faruk Boyaci, who owns this hotel and some excellent restaurants (Sirkeci Group Hotels and Restaurants: Hotel Orient Express (4 stars), Hotel Erboy (3 stars), Hotel Ilkay (3 stars), Sirkeci Konak and Neorion Hotel, my reviews about restaurants to come), runs his businesses is nothing but golden standard for hoteliers and restaurateurs.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple