“Understated Turkish luxury and exceptional hospitality”
Review of Neorion Hotel

Neorion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Everything about Neorion was impressive and to my liking understated. We, unfortunately took advantage of the hammam and sauna on our last day, which I want to mention first becuase that was such a shame; only once. The bedroom was huge. The bed extremely comfortable. The location could not have been better; we were absolutely centrally located; 10-15 minute walk to everything; literally. The staff bent over backward to make us feel comfortable. There were knowledgable staff to help us organize anything we wanted and answer any questions. The breakfast was magnificent. I was even gifted with a beautiful scarf on our last night from the hotel. This is a hotel that aims to stay number one, in all the right ways.

1  Thank Lauren K
Neorion H, Guest Relations Manager at Neorion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding our hotel.
This is so nice to hear your positive feedbacks.
We are wishing to welcome you on your next trips.
Best Regards from Neorion Family

Write a ReviewReviews (3,060)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I look for a hotel to stay at, especially in large cities like Istanbul, my prime objectives are hospitality, location, and comfort. I cannot stress enough how much this hotel excels in all three.

Any doubts and worries that usually ensnares a traveller is plucked away the moment you enter the hotel. The staff are fantastically accommodating; all eager and lovely, their service was marvellous – absolutely zero hesitation and limitlessly professional and lovely, every person who worked there were a pick-me-up after a long day of exploring what the city has to offer. Which is a lot. Knowing the city as only natives do, they offered significant details and tidbits of information ranging from short-cuts, to cheap alternatives, to the best bazaars/pazar, best times to visit certain places, to warnings – which is crucial in strange cities. And Istanbul is a beautifully strange city.

Personally, I will miss the staff, for I have never met such practical, helpful and friendly people in other establishments. In hotels that share the high calibre that Neorion Hotel has, I have usually found staff to be cold and distant, even in their assistance. But the warmth and approachability of the staff here knows no bounds and I will here on base my judgement of the staff of other establishments on these brilliant people.

The hotel is based in ‘Sirkeci’, practically within walking distance of all major tourist attractions. I usually base myself in hotels that are in quieter out-of-city locations to really capture the ‘holiday’ feel – I live in London, and feel the need to get away from the city.

But Istanbul is a city like no other, and not staying within it would be the biggest mistake you could make.

Sure, people want to get away from the bustle and noise of city life – but this city has an ambience that I haven’t felt anywhere else – it’s as vivid as its history, architecture and people; the individual sounds joining the hum of the city and make it a unique place I want to visit again and again. The hotel is near to all sorts of transport and shops and cafés and restaurants, although I did explore these, I mostly found myself enjoying the hotel’s restaurant and café. I was sending my thanks and utter love to the chef every day for the beautifully presented and tasty dishes – I have always found it’s usually one or the other, but here it was both.

Rooms change according to what you have booked, however the level of comfort doesn’t change. My talks with other travellers who vary from avid traveller to curious summer-goer all had people competing over whose room was better (mine had the best view, so I got the last glassful of the complimentary wine). These talks took place on what I can say was the winning aspect of the hotel:

The Terrace.

I am sitting on the rooftop terrace now, the stars having nothing on the twinkling of Istanbul at night; the golden glow of the city at sunset has you sighing soulfully and – if you’re an early riser like me – the sunrise is life-affirming. This city is truly magical, ancient and mystical, and the rooftop is its magic carpet ride. You can see everything, and you will find yourself here at every chance you get when in the hotel.

Other locations I found myself at after a long day was the brilliant spa and sauna, swimming pool, the hamam they have was preferable to ones I didn’t know, and the massages (of course at extra and acceptable fees) were just brilliant.

Overall, I absolutely enjoyed, adored and loved this hotel.

As an aside, if you are looking for a more detailed objective review, Marion M from Hamburg, Germany gave a fantastic review that I felt like I was echoing.

Room Tip: It really depends on what you're after, but if you contact the hotel (directly, from their websi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Erin C
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here 2 years ago with my family, went back on a romantic visit with my husband. Absolutely loved it this time as well. The location is fantastic - a short walk from all the sites. The Turkish bath, sauna, jacuzzi and pool as well as the Neorion spa are first rate. The 1pm to 7 pm 'meze' were always delicious and of course breakfast is included (excellent spread here as well). The staff are so helpful and knowledgeable. You can change currency at the front desk. Everybody is courteous and just wants to help make your stay absolutely fantastic. A great improvement since last time was the addition of sound proof windows - kept the noise on our 4th floor room completely out.

These people could teach a course or two on how to really make a person feel at home when they're away from home.

We're going to be back!

Room Tip: With the sound proof windows it's tough to find a bad room in the place. If you like views, try...

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding our hotel.
We are pleased to know about your reviews.
So pleasing to know you have enjoyed our hotel.
Looking forward to hosting you on your next trips.
Best Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We spent 3 nights in the hotel on our first trip to Turkey. What a wonderful time! We spent all day on our feet exploring the city -- and the hotel is perfectly situated in the middle of everything as a home base and a place to escape and relax. Very welcoming staff made sure we had all our questions answered. I especially liked how the hostess sat us down in the living room and laid out a map of the city and showed us where things were and what we might like to do. The terrace is spectacular at sunset. The hotel is very clean and the staff prompt and courteous.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding our hotel.
We are pleased to know you had a great stay here,.
Looking forward to hosting you on your next trips.
Sending you our warmest regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have to admit that I was quite skeptical, when I booked this hotel last October, 9 months in advance as a treat for myself and my daughter, celebrating my birthday, yesterday. The pruce was way more than I was willing to pay initially, and particularly since Turkish friends advised me that a decent, central, very clean hotel double bed would cost me no more than 80€ per night.

The Neorion cost more than twice that prize (175 € p.n. for 2, including breakfast). However, this hotel was ranked as top accomodation on trip advisor in 2013, and last year on our London trip, the top ranked Bed and Breakfast was superbe, sonI went along, and can only brag about this treasure and respite of a hotel cum Hamam (Turkish bath) and incredibly beautiful view from the roof garden across the Bosphorus. If you can afford it, book it!!! Trust me, you will not regret it.

The major reason why I finally convinced myself to book this hotel directly (do not use an intermediary website, but go directly to the hotel website - they respond quickly) was that there was no cancellation fee up to 48 hours before your scheduled arrival. Rather than having to pay the whole sum up front, you pay after your stay, and if there is something coming in between and you have to cancel, it does not cost you a dime. The reason why they can afford this policy is that they have any free room will be rebooked instantly. That in itself tells you all ;-)

For those who are interested in detail, I will take the time, sitting on our last day, on the rooftop in a comfy sofa, sipping my complimentary glass if wine that is served for free to all guests who want to witness sundown between 8 and 9 pm. The view from the hotel roof is truly spectacular, and you can safe the fare for the Bosphorus boat trip.
We often started the day on the rooftop and sat for several hours in the evening observing the change of color and shades and the characteristic city crown of Istanbul with the mosques and muezzin towers, and enjoying also the rich soundscape that this multicultural city has to offer.

Yes, 175€ per night is a lot, however this prize includes:
1. free transfer from the airport (only when you book directly with the hotel, savings: 25€ one way)
2. free bottled water (replaced every day, you can also ask for more, if you need it, savings: 2 Turkish Lira p.d. )
3. between 13:00 - 19:00 every day, free starters, soup, bread, a hot meal, fresh fruit and cake are offered, savings for 2: 50 tl = € 18 p.d
4. hamam and jacuzzi plus small swimming pool in the basement, savings: 30 TL p.d. = 12€

The Hamam we used every day! When you return from the exciting sightseeing you are really in need of a shower, having the stone heated Turkish bath, jacuzzi, a Swedish wood sauna and a tiny swimming pool made all the difference, and we did not feel the need to go to one of the large wellness hamams. Just being able to take the elevator from our floor down was super. You can also book massages, peelings etc. Of course for extra charge.

The service throughout our stay was superbe. It started with a personalized welcome, where we were given a city map and introduced to the whereabouts.
The location in Sirici is central to ALL tourist attractions. The Bazars, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace etc. Are all walking distance. It could not be better located!
For my birthday I received a specially made chocolate cake and the staff sang a happy birthday song. Breakfast was a delight with a huge variety of local foods!
We also received a good buy gift from the hotel - a good quality Istanbul scarf.

Last but not least: I will come back with my love, because this is the perfect romantic hotel to celebrate love and life!

Room Tip: Book the top floor (6th) if you like the busy side to the panoramic view, to the not so beautiful, b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marion M

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your email.
Knowing that you have been pleasure with your stay is quite something that make us happy.
We are looking forward to hosting you on your upcoming trips to the city.
Best Regards

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Hotel and more importantly service was fantastic. The breakfast buffet was excellent with traditional pastries, fruit, eggs and many Turkish delicacies. Room was spotless, well laid out and had an extremely comfortable bed. The rooftop terrace was a great place to share a bottle of wine after a long day of sightseeing. Turkish bath in the spa was reasonable and very relaxing after nightmare flights and sightseeing. Our plane that was to get in at 9:30 AM did not land until 3:00 AM the next day. We had emailed the hotel to save our room. Not only were we greeted at 4:00 AM with a smile, they apologized for our inconvenience (it was certainly not their fault) and said they could not charge us for the night since we arrived so late. I have never experienced that kind of hospitality before.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donna k

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your accommodation experience here.
We are so glad to get your positive feedbacks.
Neorion Family is sending you their warmest regards,
with the wishes of hosting you here again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We changed our booking to this hotel after seeing the reviews and realising that it would be a lot less expensive then the original hotel we had booked.

From the moment we booked we knew that we had made the right choice as we received an email from the hotel with our own client area. Prior to arriving we requested a taxi from the airport and adjoining rooms as we were traveling with our 3 children. The taxi was there to greet us, (unlike our luggage!) and took us straight to the hotel. We were given rooms 308 and 309 which seemed like a wing of the hotel all to ourselves. The family room with a double bedroom, single bedroom, 2 bathrooms and seating area was well above our expectations given that city centre hotel rooms are usually quite small. After unpacking we went downstairs for a welcome drink and to be given information about Istanbul. It was our youngest sons 10th birthday and the staff came in with a cake with candles singing happy birthday - this was a fantastic gesture on their part and very much appreciated.

The rooms had everything we needed and more including a list of pillow choices. Very comfortable beds. The breakfast buffet was good as was the roof top bar. We did not try the main restaurant. The spa and pool area was a welcome relief after a day sightseeing and whilst small lets not forget this is a city centre hotel and space is of a premium and they have put that available space to great use.

The location is another reason to choose this hotel. Everything you come to Istanbul for as a tourist is right on your doorstep and there is a real buzz to the area at nighttime.

Our experience here could not have been better and would not think of staying in any other hotel should we return to Istanbul.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jaheto

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your reviews here regarding our hotel.
We are so pleased to know you have enjoyed our facilities.
Hoping to host you again on your upcoming trips.
Sending you our warmest regards