“Great experience”
Review of Motif Collection

Motif Collection
Ranked #17 of 552 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: With 20 years experience, Motif Collection provides the best quality fully handcrafted carpets and kilims. While predominantly Turkish, our collection also features carpets from around the world, antique pieces and rare fragments. We also sell hand crafted Turkish ceramics and unique Turkish giftware.
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We went to many carpet shops during our trip and found that we got by far the best value here. Hamit is very easygoing and friendly, and happy to educate about carpets. There is no hard sell. He handpicks all of his carpets and knows every detail about them, down to what was used for the dye in the tiniest details. It is not a store for haggling- Hamit gives very reasonable prices and it is obvious that he loves his carpets and is passionate about ethical business practices. It was one of our first carpet stores of the trip and we initially chose not to buy, but came to regret that after seeing other stores during our trip. Luckily, they were kind enough to meet us at an airport hotel just prior to departure so that we could purchase the carpet as we were only back in Istanbul for a few hours before departure. Hamit also owns Osmanhan hotel, and gives guests a discount at the store.

20  Thank pairofsocks2
"carpet store"
in 8 reviews
"buying carpets"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this store"
"turkey"
"carpet salesmen"
"sultanahmet area"
"old city"

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I walked by the shop one evening, only looking at cushion covers. Hidir invited me in the shop and we had a chat. There were many cushion covers from which to choose, and Hidir and Hamit told me the history of each one. Most of their cushion covers are made from the good parts of old carpets and kilims. They told me the areas in which the covers were woven and the dies used. Although I was making only a small purchase, they were as engaged as if I were buying a thousand-dollar carpet. I returned to the shop a week later, and I was pleased to see Hidir and Hamit again. We talked at length about the carpets, their history, and even the 'personality' of each carpet. They showed me countless carpets and kilims. Hidir and Hamit have something that the other carpet salespeople seem to lack: passion and knowledge. They will be happy to show you carpets for an hour, and even when they don't sell them, Hidir and Hamit are happy to share their expertise, their time, and their company.

18  Thank Patrick_968
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My partner and I recently spent a long weekend in Istanbul staying at the Osmanhan Hotel in Sultanahmet. On our way back and forth between the hotel and various tourist attractions we kept passing Motif Collection and I kept being drawn in by the beautiful display of carpets and pillowcases outside. I wasn't interested in buying a carpet as we already have more than we have the space for at home, however, I was very interested in the pillowcases made from old kilms. After my partner flew out, I went back to buy several of these pillowcases only to discover that the owner, Hamit, is also the owner of the Osmanhan Hotel where my partner and I had been staying. Needless to say, Hamit gave me an excellent discount on my purchases and threw in a gift as well. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality and the service at both Motif Collection and the Osmanhan Hotel and would recommend both to anyone visiting Istanbul and planning on staying in Sultanahmet.

10  Thank dytrsi
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I was travelling by myself in Istanbul and I want to bring back to Canada a Turkish handmade rug. When I stopped at Motif Collection shop, I was delight by the excellent service from the owner Hamit. With no pressure, he show me how to shop a "real" handmade carpet (texture, colour, type of knot and the origin). After an hour or so, couple of cups of tea later and a good conversation about politics and travel, he kick me out of his shop to go compare his price with the others. I was surprise cause usually they try to put pressure on you for a quick sale! I came back two more times before I bought something. Overall, he passed maybe 3-4 hours with me. Finally, I bought 3 carpets of different sizes and ages (cheaper than only one carpet wherever else!!) and he gave me a set of tea service to thanks me!! On conclusion, I highly recommend the "motif Collection" for a quiet and so instructive rug shopping!! Thanks Amit for your excellent service....

13  Thank JSeb_C