“Knowledgeable owner Hamit”
Review of Motif Collection

Motif Collection
Ranked #17 of 552 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: With 20 years experience, Motif Collection provides the best quality fully handcrafted carpets and kilims. While predominantly Turkish, our collection also features carpets from around the world, antique pieces and rare fragments. We also sell hand crafted Turkish ceramics and unique Turkish giftware.
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We visited Motif Collection when we strolled in Sultanahmet. We were going to Yesil Ev (Green House) Hotel to have a tea break. Motif Collection was just next to the hotel. Its charming exterior attracted us. At first we thought it an ordinary souvenir shop but the inside was full of old and antique carpets and kilims. The owner Hamit is young, but knowledgeable and credible. He answered to our every question exactly. His stuff was all in very good condition and rare collectable pieces. We were very glad to find such a wonderful place because we were thinking of buying a tribal kilim. We bought an old gorgeous Reyhanli kilim. There was another man repairing rugs. Hamit said that if one wants, they repair. We really really recommend Motif Collection.

7  Thank Susie W

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Motif's was a great place to buy an Anatolian carpet. When we entered the store, the owner pulled up seats for us to sit but he sat on the floor and I sat on the floor while his partner pulled rugs out based on my description.

He seemed to be very knowledgeable with the carpets and kilims. With every carpet he laid out on the floor for me he was able to give an estimate of age, what the symbols represented and what was used to dye each color of the carpets.

In the end, I couldn't decide which carpet to get, so what he did was go through all the carpets with me again and we separated the yes's and no's. Then he laid out the yes's side by side for me. This was the perfect method to decide, great salesman.

He was also able to explain how you'd determine synthetically dyed carpets from naturally dyed ones. And he gave instructions on how to clean them.

I love the rug I selected. The carpets are expensive here though.

7  Thank Leslie C
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Motif Collection is a small shop but full of beautiful old and antique rugs. It’s like a treasure box.

I fortunately got know the owner brothers Mustafa and Hamit. Hamit told me that Mustafa is one of the best repairmen of old rug though isn’t making repair now and only teaching technique to successors. They showed me how to repair carpets and kilims and gave knowledge about weaving techniques, materials, designs and other many things.

They’re also connoisseurs of old and antique tribal rugs. They opened so many old kilims for me and explained the age, region, meanings of motives for each item. I was completely fascinated by the beautiful colors of them and I bought two antique pieces.

Everybody should go to Motif Collection before s/he goes to other shops.

7  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Not the first time my wife and I have been to a carpet shop, on the contrary, we consider ourselves 'experts' having survived the carpet dealers in India, we thought we were well versed in the slick approaches and banter of the Turkish dealers. We had decided to buy a carpet in Turkey, if nothing else our purchase would at the very least would be a discussion point. I had read a couple of reviews on buying carpets in Istanbul and the Motif Collection had some favourable comments. So with a little trepidation we located the shop. First impression, it is tiny. Second impression, how on earth do they fit so many rugs in here. Third Impression, no hard sale, what the.... what's going on?, the salesman was quite, polite and welcomed us in to his shop, no "would you like a cup of Turkish Tea", just a "hello, please sit". He began with what size are we interested in and are we looking for a rug or Kilim, my wife wanted a Kilim and so it started, the salesman (Hadir) said he only sold Dowry pieces and explained what this meant in Turkey. He said they also specialised in restoring older rugs and showed us one that he was currently working on. Now I'm a bloke and don't usually go in for the subtlety of things (not unless it's attached to a V8 Hemi) however, I was taken by the design of the restoration piece I was shown, especially when Hadir told us the story behind it, it was abour 60 years old and was a prayer rug. That said, the business of carpet selling began, Hadir began by unffurling rug after rug, after about 10 minutes Hadir saked if anything we had seen was of interest (being slightly colourblind I had no say in the selection), and suggested that we eliminate those that we don't want, so the carpets were relegated to Yes, No and Maybe. That left six still to decide on. My wife was having difficulty, as all seemed to me anyway would suit our house. But of course, lingering in the back of my mind was, how much? So with a deep breath I asked the $64 question (as it turned out they were worth more than $64 - no surprise there!). Having said that I was a little surprised at how reasonable they were, or appeared to be at least. The prices were in Turkish Lira ranging from 6500 down to 1800, including the restoration piece that I quite liked. Still couldn't decide and my wife, God bless her, said we could buy two. I almost fell off the stool, but tried to maintain some sort of worldy demeanour as if I knew what I was doing. Hadir said if we buy two he'll give us a 10% discount. So, I thought, the haggling begins. I gave him my best, 'you gotta be kidding' look and said they were a little pricey and besides, I wasn't sure where we would put them all, and as a clincher I said besides we have another 5 weeks of travel and didn't want to carry rugs all over Europe. Quick as a flash Hadir said he could arrange shipping 'door-to-door, no problem'. Darn, that sort of blew me out of the water, still I was adamant one rug would be fine. But, dear reader, I had a problem, my wife really couldn't decide. In the end we got the selection down to just two rugs, sadly the restoration piece was not one of them. We bought them at what I thought was a reasonable price. Bottom Line is, I felt comfortable with Hadir and his attitude towards the rugs he sells, he seemed more genuine about then rugs than the money, there was no hard sell, no banter about the discount or price as if I was robbing him f a living. I thoroughly recommend the Motif Collection to anyone, you'll be surprised! Now I just have to decide whether I should go back and get the restoration piece.

6  Thank Lakes172
Reviewed 18 April 2014

If you want an authentic carpets and kilims from Turkey, I recommend you go to Motif Collection at Sultanahmet. (It’s very close to Ayasofia.)

Don’t worry if you know very little about tribal rugs.
The owner Hamit has a vast knowledge about hand-woven carpets and kilims.
He is willing to share his knowledge.
He explained in detail about each carpet and kilim which he showed us.
We understood that he wasn’t trying to sell them just for business, he loves them deeply.

After two-hour conversation, we bought a very charming old carpet (he said 'Incesu Carpet') from Central Anatolia.

We want everyone to visit Motif Collection and feel happy as well as us.

6  Thank Maya S