“Great Little Place Tucked Away Off Istaklal”
Review of Medi Sark Sofrasi

Medi Sark Sofrasi
Ranked #506 of 13,607 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Ojai, California
“Great Little Place Tucked Away Off Istaklal”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Located a couple blocks off Istaklal Cadessi, just south of Taksim Square, Medi Sark Sofrasi is a great little local place with a fairly short menu, lots of charm and delicious food.

We sat inside as the sun dipped behind the buildings, the walls covered with hand-sewn handbags, ornaments and other Turkish accoutrements. Cozy sofa seats, big round metal tables and friendly tag-team service provided a really enjoyable dining experience.

We enjoyed a mixed grill, a vegetarian plate (eggplant and rice), a large bottled water and a couple çays for a mere 42TL, and were stuffed. They brought us salsa-esque ezme and that great light puffy bread to start. Each dish had delicious home-made yogurt, and the rice that accompanied each dish was moist, tasty, perfect.

They don't sell alcohol, but the ayran - a yogurt drink - is apparently as good as it gets. With more than three weeks left in our trip, we will definitely head on back and try a couple new things. Five stars, because its a great value, high quality restaurant. Guys - good luck with the Turkish toilet.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank tyler93023

• Turkish first
tehran
“The best restaurant in Istanbul”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

During the week that my wife and I stayed at Istanbul, we tryed different restaurants... But this one is the best. We found iskender kebab very delicious. We tryed another food that was also very good, but I can not remember the name. The location is good and calm, the staff are friendly and the ambience is traditional and agreable. The quality of the foods is excellent and the taste is enchating!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank mreka
London, England, United Kingdom
“In the Istanbul Backstreets, a Place with Genuine Heart and Soul.”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

During my short stay in Istanbul, I passed many restaurants and ate in many places. The one which stuck out was Medi Sark Sofrasi.
My partner, a child of the city, led me by the hand down a dark side street of the buzz of Beyoglu. We pass men drinking Caj on tiny stools. One throws us a look as if to say 'I haven't seen you before'.
Then we enter Medi Sark Sofrasi and are welcomed by the warm grin of a waiter and a comfortable sofa behind a huge round traditional copper table. Ayran is brought to the table, but not the kind from a mass produced pot, its frothy and sour, in a copper bowl with ladle!
Then Esme (a kind of chilli pepper dip) huge balloons of fresh sesame bread which when broken billows hot tasty steam. Then a large round platter finds its way to us. Lamb and Chicken sis, Kofte and Chicken wings sizzling from a huge copper grill lay on a bed of bulgur pilaf, topped with grilled peppers and steaming Lahmacun. A pot of creamy strained yoghurt topped with pistachio nuts nestles in the middle. What a feast! And served with not even a shred of pretenciousness amongst traditional textiles away from the tourist trail in the Istanbul backstreets. Out second visit doesn’t disappoint - I chose a Fistikli Kebab - a juicy minced meat kebab packed with pistachio nuts on a bed of bulgur pilaf. My partner goes for a wrap, smothered in a rich tomato sauce. We share Konefe, a warm crunch syrupy cheesy cake - perfect comfort food for the blustery wind and watery autumn skies outside. And Caj, of course.
The restaurant is the kind of place you are led to by those in the know and will never forget. My first stop when I return to the city of 3000 singing minorets? Medi Sark Sofrasi.
I would like to visit in the warmer months when seating outside under the welcome shade of vines creates what I can imagine as a thoroughly Mediterranean experience.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank AlexiadeAngelis
Lincoln, Nebraska
“to be at home...”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Since living around the world, I love to ‘come home’ to this great little restaurant in Taksim. The lentil soup, kebabs of all varieties, glorious salads and wonderful bread served are all set in a beautiful eastern theme. The whole place is filled with such love and respect for food and people, allowing room for intimate conversations and refreshment of the soul.

In the warmer months, the outdoor seating surrounding the copper table tops creates such beauty. The wait staff is quite attentive to the locals and foreigners alike and the portions are more than adequate.

May you enjoy this haven as much as I have over the years.

• Visited July 2011