“Ripoff but a great view”
Review of Safir Teras - CLOSED

Safir Teras
Price range: US$1 - US$8
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Description: WELCOME TO THE CITY THAT MANY EMPIRES WROTE HISTORY YOU CAN WATCH THIS HISTORIC 360 FROM OUR TERRACE,HAGGIA SOPHIA,BLUE MOSGUE.PRENS ISLANDS,MARMARA SEA AND HIPODROME......
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We visited to have a beer and enjoy the sunset on the Blue Mosque. Well the view was great but the food was fair at best and the pricing a real problem. We ordered a meze plate priced at 8 tl on the menu. We did not order bread but a half burnt flat bread came. We were billed 25 tl for the meze and also for the bread. So go enjoy the view but don't order the food as the menu is only a suggestion of the real price.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My female friend and I accidentally wandered around the restaurant and bought their door guy's sales pitch. Went up and were seated at a table overlooking the blue mosque. Was very pleased with that and I could try the clay pot chicken kebab. Other staff were nice though they didn't speak much English but this particular old guy who looked like the person in charge seemed rather racist. When he took our order, he looked very impatient and super unfriendly while we were very polite and smiley. When my friend asked him for the wifi password, he didn't even more unpleasant. I tried not to let him get to us since both of us girls are in Istanbul for the first time and want to enjoy ourselves. When this old guy presented the similar clay pot dish to another table full of Caucasian tourists, he was pretty excited about showing how it was done. But then it was my turn, he turned his back on me and I couldn't take a photo of the claypot with fire on. Though he still showed me how it should be broken etc, he looked completely emotionless. When my friend asked him politely if he could help take a photo of us with her phone but took a bit to get the camera function to work, he finally verbally showed he was annoyed 'I have no time!' though she already apologized for taking a few seconds long. I didn't hear it him clearly but my friend did. I thought he said 'I have lots of time' with a straight face on at that moment so I didn't create a scene. Also my friend just wanted to let it go. The food was the best to be honest so far since we arrived and the view was spectacular but the difference in his attitude towards Caucasian customers and us totally pissed us off. We didn't tip or give any service charge because of his attitude and he even had the guts to come and ask us if everything was ok. I answered 'it was fine' completely cold without looking at him (he didn't respect us though we were nice so I didn't respect him either). If Asian girls are not welcome at your place, just state it clearly at your door and I wouldn't have had wasted my time and money!!!!!!!!! A piece of advice to this old man - Perhaps it is time to change your sh** attitude!!!! Stay away if I were you.

1  Thank CardyChan
Reviewed 7 May 2014

In the middle of Sultanahmet in the busy street with tramway 4 floors below and with the Blue Mosque dominating the view it is a place to experience not necessarily for the food but for one of the best views possible. We had lunch there with excellent soup and with lavasj (pita-like thin bread - delicious) but it was obviously not the sort of place you go for a gourmet meal.
The service was good and everyone helpful. We sat in the sun and relaxed watching people going to the local mosque, getting off trams, enjoying the weather and a free day in a very popular area.
Part of being in a foreign country is to absorb the atmosphere! We did just that at Safir Teras!

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We ordered Tavuk Sis kebap which is not that hard to make! The chicken itself was ok, tasted tomato! But the green salad on my platter wasn't that green! Brown and sad, strange since its not that long to the market that sell fresh salad every day! The food although was dry and the lack of sauce made it very boring to eat!

In a company of three we also had Grilled filet and a mix kebap or something like that! The filet was like a rock. All the grilled vegetables were burned and altogether it was nit worth it to come up there for the view. Even though the view is fantastic!!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Don't be fooled by the great view, there are many other places in the area with great views. Though, we did take advantage of having the blue mosque right in front of us (great photo opp.). While the staff was warm and very helpful (and seemed to be genuinely concerned), the food was horrible. I agree with others who had mentioned their poor-quality Turkish pides/pizzas (mine was burnt, and quite dry with very few toppings). My friend ordered the fish which came out partly frozen. The künefe was also not fully cooked and the cheese inside tasted a bit sour. In the end, there was an apology, but no discount or even a nice free dessert or treat (which I experienced other times I complained about the food/service at a restaurant in Istanbul). My advice: shop around for better quality. While atmosphere and friendly service are important, at a restaurant I also expect decent food...however, not everyone has similar expectations...and maybe my expectations were way too high....