“Kind staff but terrible room”

Istanbulinn Boutique Hotel
Ranked #844 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Bari, Italy
“Kind staff but terrible room”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was there in April 2013. I arrived there and the place was under reparation because they had a problems at electric system. The room was not ready, but the staff offered my a cup of the in the terrace with wonderul view on the Bosphorus. After my insistence, they gave me avery dark room; the windows was on the internal corridor and in the evening was very noisy because very close to the lobby room. The price was not bad but with some euros more you can get a very good hotel a room in Takism Square. Tle location is in Taksim Square. Maybe I have been unlucky but I will not go once again in this hotel

Room Tip: Room with windows on the open air.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Tweed Heads, NSW
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I think that we were really unlucky with our stay, which was unfortunately a bit of a disaster from beginning to end!

As two friends travelling together, we had booked a city view room with twin beds and, as we were staying for 7 nights, free transport to/from the airport was meant to be included. Our first hiccup was, after a 30 hour journey from Australia, there was no-one at the airport to pick us up. A kind gentleman at the airport googled the hotel for us and let us use his phone to ring. The guy who answered grunted that he'd send someone. No apology was offered, and no time frame for our transport given. We were picked up about half an hour later.

When we arrived at the hotel, around 9am, our room wasn't ready which was fair enough as check in wasn't until 2pm. We went for a wander and returned about 12pm (as advised to by reception) but our room still wasn't ready. Staff kindly arranged some tea for us on the beautiful terrace, but it soon emerged there was some confusion about our booking with several questions about which room we'd booked. Luckily I had the chain of emails that had been sent between myself and the hotel. At about half two we were shown to our room, which was nothing like the photos on the Internet. It was half way through being renovated. The skirting boards were not stuck to the wall, there were large cracks on the wall that were patched up but had not been painted, around the bathroom door was unpainted, there was sawdust over the carpet. There were no bedside lamps. We were not happy! We let the reception staff know, and their response was that they had not had time to finish renovations. They vacuumed the carpet and agreed to try and find us a better room the next day.

Now we come to the noise!! I can't believe other reviewers haven't really noted how bad the noise is! I am usually a very sound sleeper who can sleep through absolutely anything - except a Friday and Saturday night in a city view room at the Istanbul Inn Residence it appears! The hotel is just off Taksim square, is it is very central to the party area, but if you want your sleep then definitely don't book a city view room. We had hardly any sleep.

The next day, the friendly reception staff told us we could move to a Bosphorus view room the following day, for 20 Euros more per night, and stay there for the remaining 5 nights of our trip. We were happy with this, and endured a second night of hardly any sleep because of the noise.

The next day we were moved to our new room, which was absolutely beautiful and more like the photos shown on the Internet. It had amazing views of the Bosphorus and it was so quiet. Unfortunately, a different man on reception told us there had been a mistake with the dates the previous day and that in fact we could not stay in our nice new room for the remainder of our stay, but only 3 nights and then we would have to move back to the original room. We were not happy, and told the man that we did not want to move and that if we had to we would look into alternative accommodation. He told us there may be a suite that we could move to or there may be a cancellation. He very kindly got us a bottle of wine to apologise for all the trouble we had experienced. That night we had a great sleep, as it was so lovely and quiet. There was a queen bed and a sofa bed, though the sofa bed was quite uncomfortable. We loved this room! Sitting looking at the night view with a glass of wine was just lovely.

After spending 3 nights in this room, no-one got back to us about having to move so we presumed everything was fine for us to stay. In the morning, we left to go out for the day and no-one at reception mentioned anything to us about moving rooms that day. We arrived back at 6pm to be told that staff had moved our belongings as other people had a booking for the room we were in. We were so angry. All of our stuff had been packed up and moved. My perfume had been stolen and my friend's mascara had been stolen from inside her make up bag. Also, our passports and valuables were in the safe in the room we had been in, but reception staff couldn't let us in to get these things because someone else was in the room (and they were out). We didn't get these back until the next day.

So we were moved back to the original room, though it had been freshly painted. Over the next couple of days, we noticed that housekeeping staff were going through our things. My friend folded some tissue paper in her make up bag and put it under her eye liner then zipped the bag closed. When we got back, the make up bag was unzipped and had been rifled through. We advised reception staff of this and the stolen items, and they took the price of my perfume and my friend's mascara off of our bill

The positives about this hotel - close to Taksim square and tram line. The reception staff were absolutely wonderful and very apologetic about the problems we encountered. We were not charged extra for the 3 nights we spent in the Bosphorus view room. The Bosphorus view room was lovely. The terrace was lovely, with great views out to the Bosphorus.

Overall, if we had had a nice room from the beginning and hadn't had stuff stolen, our stay would have been much better. I think we were unlucky with our experience, which is a shame because I so wanted to love this place. The lovely reception staff swung the second star in the rating I've given!

If you decide to stay here - definitely spend the extra for a Bosphorus view room. The noise in he city view room is ridiculous, and the other rooms are much nicer. The views are wonderful too. Unfortunately, I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We moved to this apartment after moving out of a dreadful apartment down the road, the staff were very helpful, accomodating and empathetic to our situation and booking us on tours.
We had an apartment 102 looking over the church and yes it was noisy esp friday and sat nights but this is Taksim Square. We got earplugs and the problem was more or less solved as the rooms windows had double glazing as well
The room was lovely, the shower excellent the bed great and the wifi was excellent
Good breakfast with great views, the tv has 80 channels in turkish and one in english like a japanese CNN!
The location is brilliant close to bars and restaurants and 5 minute walk to Taksim Sq and Istaklal St, where there is a tram to take you to the Tunel which takes you to the bridge to go to Sultanamhet, or funicular from Taksim to the fast metro which goes to outside topkapi or grand bazaar

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank traveljewelsofeurope
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

I have booked by mail. They did not ask for a credit card or anything... They trusted me. When i arrived the same thing. They showed me my room.without asking any guarantee. Thhy treat you as family. From the location of the hotel you can visit all istanbul easily. Close to metro and to the city nightlife (when u finish ur night u do mot need to searvlch for a taxi just walk)10 min and ur there.

The only problem is with the breakfast where the bread is not fresh and the toilets. Since the hotel was supposed to be an appartment not a room the bathroom was built later and there's no proper pipinf system for the water.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Hicham F
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I'm not sure if all the other reviewers here are deaf, but I'm amazed that no one mentioned the atrocious amount of noise. I'm writing this review at 2AM local time and it is unbearably noisy because of loud music from a nearby night club. I called the reception and there's absolutely no help or even sympathy: "what do you expect, you're in Taksim?" I mean, come on!

Not to mention that the walls are paper thin and you can hear your neighbors flush as if it's in your own bathroom.

I will never return here. for sure and I'm trying to figure out what my options are for the rest of my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank rsi1970
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel deserves a 10 on 10!! The location, the service, the room, the help desk. Rutkay, whose at reception is excellent and a great help. I had friends staying in a diff "more expensive" hotel and moved to our hotel the day after they saw my hotel! I have travelled a lot and this hotel gets of my top 10 ratings!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank TushnaMehta
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

close to taxim just 1 mint good and big room size helpfull reception staff .feeling that you are at your home good for family good breakfast safe no bar dowm the hotel

Room Tip: The terrace they had made my stay worth nice memories ( sea view ).
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family