“Not Great”

Ranked #513 of 1,148 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Not Great”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in the Rixos Taksim for four nights in May and it wasn't the most enjoyable experience you'd expect from a five star hotel.
1) Our room was on the ground floor, overviewing the parking lot - we did not have much privacy and didn't have much lighting!

2) I was shocked when I realized that each guest had to pay for the internet on a daily basis (even when you paid -- it usually didn't work!) -- the free wifi highlighted on the website is based in the lobby (where there is no seating!)

3) When we first checked in to the hotel, our safe box wasn't working and the mini bar had left over food from the previous guests..We had to wait for a day to have fresh refreshments in the room..

4) We were initially fooled by the fact that it's called "Rixos Taksim", however there is a good 20 minute walk from the hotel to the Taskim square -- one would need to pass many construction sites and streets to reach to the square!

5) Room keys generally do not work. You have to go to the receptionist every time you come back to the hotel and wait while the receptionist to give you a fresh set of keys.

6) The walls are not sound proof and one clearly gets to hear what the couple next door are doing/talking about!

7)Overall, the hotel was strangely decorated with gold and black tiles, and oriented with plastic flowers which didn't look very pleasant - there were hardly any chairs in the lobby, and the restaurant certainly did not have a large variety of buffet as a one would expect a five star hotel to have!

If you're truly expecting to have a five star experience in Istanbul, Rixos Taksim is not the hotel you should chose, we've stayed at many boutique hotels around the Taksim Square and surprisingly, their service has been much better than this "five star" hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lilzow
Rixos T, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Taksim Istanbul, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very complete review here on Tripadvisor.
We regret to learn that you were disappointed regarding certain elements of your stay at the Rixos Taksim Istanbul.
Kindly be informed that we may not guarantee the floor to our guest which can be changeable upon availablity. If you may be so kind to inform us about your detailed information, we may take our notes for welcoming you in an upper floor for your next visits. Also we would like to inform you that we have a sitting area with large seats just one floor up from the reception. We are totally sorry if we couldn't inform you on your stay.
Taksim is a large area as 8.76 km and our distance from The Square is only 750 meters which can be reachable from different ways.
We would really appreciate if you may contact us directly in order to make it up for your possible next stay.

Please be assured that all of your comments have been passed on to the appropriate departments.

We do hope to welcome you again soon.

Yours sincerely,
Asli Balci
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This hotel is located just 5 minutes away from taksim square. The hotel is stunning, extremely clean and the staff are so helpful. Especially Seda and Esra from guest relations! The breakfast is brilliant and lots of choice! The rooms are big and beautifully modern! I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family

• Stayed May 2013
Rixos T, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Taksim Istanbul, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback and comments on this review.

We are pleased to learn that you were happy with our services, espeically the service extended from our Guest Relations staffs while you were staying with us.

We look forward to the privilege and pleasure of welcoming and serving you again at Rixos Taksim Istanbul.

Warm regards,
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 17 May 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at rixos suites, 1st of may 2013

The hotel overall was comfortable modern and nice,
the suites were very big and have a very big windows which is very nice in the morning but the view is not nice at all. The beds wasn't comfortable as hotels usually are. overall I really recommend staying at the hotel, the price is good as compared to other hotels in the same area,The breakfast was free and good, we enjoyed freshly baked turkish bread.
and it is an easy walk to taksim square,

although the whole area were under constriction we took a suite in the 5th floor, we didn't complain from any noise,

One problem was the late check in,
we took about tow hours to get our rooms.. in addition, they promised us to have a suite in the 7th floor and they gave us first and the first floor, after we refused and insist to have another one they moved us
to te 5th, they upgraded our suite from junior to the bigger,

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review on our room and food service. We are happy to learn that you had a goodstay experience while you stayed with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Horsell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed here whilst on business for 3 nights.

The hotel was clean, rooms were modern and spacious. Great faciltiies and great food.

It's true the hotel is near a building site but if you expect to go to Istanbul and have a quite stay you're going to the wrong city. Part of the charm of Istanbul is the constant activity in the city and I'd expect wherever you stay you will experience some buidling activity. In truth, you couldn't hear the noise through the windows and it just meant the roads outside were noisy.

The most attractive part about the hotel were by far the staff. I am a woman who travels alone on business, and from the booking through to departure the staff were constantly helpful and not at all pushy. In particular Emir who was the concierge, was incredibly helpful in booking my airport transfer. It was easy to get the car and a great transit across town, on arrival he then assisted with advice for any parts of tourism I wanted to see. My stay was so short I didn't manage to do any arranged tourist trips but Emir was very helpful in advising me the sights to see om my own and the safest way to travel. It was refreshing to have advice without having service pushed on you.

I only ate the room service but all the food I had was fresh and healthy.

If I return to Istanbul, on pleasure if not business, I would definitley stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel building and not in the annex across the road.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear ValuedGuest,

Your beautiful comment on the staff served as further inspiration for us to do what we do best and providing memorable experiences for our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in our hotel. It is our great pleasure to know that we met your expectations and have created a delightful experience for you.

We look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards.
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

As overall, this hotel is avreage.

When I checked-in the front desk asked me to pay 10 euro for each hour with is not accepted at all especially the room is ready and available. The second point, when i booked thru Rixos.com in thier website mentioned the WIFI is free with the room but when i arrived they asked me to buy for it.

the location is very good, you can wal to Taksim, but there is constraction working next to the hotel(next to a 24 hour building site).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fahad A
Rixos T, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Taksim Istanbul, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any discomfort this may have caused and please make sure that your comments have been passed onto the appropriate department for corrective action.
We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again on some future occasion.

Faithfully yours,
Southam, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

OK - the good stuff. Without a doubt the biggest hotel suite I have ever stayed in, with top quality fittings over two floors. I was upgraded, but I believe even the 'ordinary' suites are very nice.
Some niggles - the lifts are glacially slow; the bar is small and uninviting; the breakfast room horibly overcrowded in the morning.
But the big problem is next door. The biggest building site you have ever seen, currently a guge hole in the ground. It's not looking at it that's the problem - it is the noise at night. The huge trucks can only poperate in the middle of the night due to the congestion in Istanbul - so busiest between 2 and 5. It's not the hotel's fault, but I'm afraid this makes the hotel one to avoid until the building work advances much further

Room Tip: I suppose you could ask for a room on the other side of the building work, but the noise is so bad I...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Keith M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know your inconveniences regarding your stay in our hotel
We appreciated the time you have taken to bring them to our attention.
Kindly be informed that our breakfast is served between 06:30 / 10:30 and by coincidence sometimes our guests are visiting our restaurant at the same time. Thats why it can be crowded sometimes even we are using the balcony side. Also we would like to inform you that the construction is unfortunetly affecting the near field. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding this issues.

We do hope to welcome you again at Rixos Taksim Istanbul.

Yours faithfully.
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I had a pleasure staying in this hotel for 5days , but the staff was not qualified in dealing with customers and specially the chief who cookes bread , not very helpfull staff , they asked me for 200 dollars as an insurance for 5 days when I checked my account they took 350$ as insurance and they told me that in 2 days after checking out the money they blocked will be back to my account but yet till now its blocked , the room was a very nice room but there is a construction beside the hotel that is disturbing , maybe if they changed the staff and the construction is finished ill stay there again .

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We would be pleased to assist you in order to cancel the authorization taken if you could inform us about your details from our e-mail address. I am sure there is a missunderstanding about the issue.
Thank you very much for informing us and we do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again on some future occasion.

Faithfully yours.