“Very basic accommodation”
Review of Chora Guesthouse

Chora Guesthouse
Ranked #548 of 1,079 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The ONLY thing Chora Guesthouse has going for it is its terrific location - a short, easy walk from the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. Apart from that, there isn't much left to recommend. We stayed on the third floor and had to drag our heavy luggage up 3 flights of narrow, steep stairs (no elevator). The proprietor, in fairness, helped us to carry it up but carrying it back down at the end of our stay was just as difficult and when you're in a hurry to catch the airport shuttle, you can't wait around for assistance. The room itself was reasonably clean and had a good bed, however it lacked in some of the basics - no chair (nowhere to sit other than on the bed), no telephone, no television (not that you'd spend any time in the room watching it, but it's nice to catch up on the day's news before retiring). The shower was very temperamental and we had to compromise between decent water pressure and temperature. As a result, we wound up taking tepid showers. The room has a good air conditioner - a must when staying in Istanbul. The worst part of the whole experience was that we were told not to put toilet paper in the toilet because the system couldn't handle it (think about that one for a moment!). Needless to say, we tended to use the facilities at restaurants as much as possible. The room was inexpensive but, in the end, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at Chora Guesthouse for twelve days in March. I had read these reviews and was a bit concerned about whether or not there was good water pressure/hot water, but don't worry--the showering experience was great! True, there is a sweet spot you have to hit on the faucet handle, and you have to turn the hot water box to "15 after the hour" mark, but once you get it you are golden. :)
Metin, the owner, was so accommodating, friendly, and spoke English. He also has the shop down below the guesthouse with whatever little things you need, very handy.
About the location: this is the best area to stay in all of Istanbul if you are interested in seeing all the sights without ever getting in a bus or taxi. The Four Seasons is a stone throw away so you know it is a desired area.
We took a taxi from IST and it was about 45 lira, not bad and only about a 15 minute ride because the taxi drivers in Istanbul drive fasssttttt.
The view from the double deluxe and the triple deluxe (we stayed in both rooms, seven nights in the double and 3 nights in the triple) are BEAUTIFUL and worth way more than what you are charged. The view was very important to me so I looked at so many hotels online, anything with a comparable view was at least three times more expensive. Another thing I really liked about this hotel: there are a lot of textiles, pillows, wallcovers etc. that are typical Turkish style. When we go places we always try to stay somewhere that reflects the local area and artisans.
We will miss Istanbul and Chora Guesthouse, hope to make it back in a few years.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lacy P
Reviewed 31 January 2013

It looks like the three stars or circles is being nice, because we read these reviews and still decided to take a chance.

So, lets get to the review...

The location, really close to the two touristy popular mosques The Blue and Haya Soffia, Topkapi palace, the cisterns, nearby food and the tram. So, you are not at a disadvantage for location location location...

The room, well these people are correct in various degrees. Hot water - keep it to a brief shower as it is a small electric heater tank, and it is more a function of this being an electric heat system that makes it a little bit of adjusting to the westerners that are accoustomed to gas water heater boiler systems. The bed did suck a little, and the room is small. However, if you are a prima donna and think that you are going to get more than this, for under $70, please be real.

Back to more... the Wi fi signal is very good, there is no TV, and the breakfast was not a buffet, but one of these Turkish breakfasts I have gotten in the past where they prep you a plate, with a fixed portion of cheeses, cucumbers, tomatoes, some olives and one hard boiled egg. Good enough for me, but not a buffet which at some of the accommodations I have stayed at throughout Turkey can be generous with a diverse selection of foods, or just this or even a tad less than this. Again, you decide what fits the bill. One couple loved it in the reviews here, another here did not. I didn't mind it as I spent a long time in the military and have thick skin, my fiancee did not like it at all. I would recommend it, and state the above, it's your choice. I will say that for the same money, and if not less, you can get a more up to date room (this building is definitely older than 30 years) with more ammenities, and a better breakfast while still being close as I noted, to all the above attractions. Again, you decide. If you are a first time traveller to this country - do as much research on things such as sites to visit and the accommodations and a little about the people, and please lower your expectations so that you can be pleased with your trip - its a cost effective trip versus say an italy.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 0MichaelB0
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed at Chora at the end of December for 4 nights. The location to the sites is perfect. I think if you are on a budget, and you can't get a good deal on good hotels, it is a great option for 1-2 nights. Our bed was bad. I felt the springs poking through. The shower was very fickle and required a lot of manipulating to get the right temperature (adjusting pressure was futile). The room was tiny tiny tiny, as was the bathroom area. The breakfast was decent and monotonous, no hot options. The owner was very friendly and the store that he owns downstairs was really helpful for forgotten converters. Overall, it is a good place to stay for a couple of nights. WiFi worked well in our room, which was a double room the top floor facing the street.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isabella S
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I had booked into this guest house after a 10hour overnight flight from Africa. I had booked online. I arrived and found the owner to be rude and angry - the credit card machine was not working and rather than listening to my frequent requests to go to the room he insisted on trying to take payment. In the end I had to shout - which I hate doing but was exhausted and very frayed. I was finally shown to the room - and was totally shocked. The single room is little more than an internal cupboard with a sliding glass 'window' onto the corridor. The room looked clean, but was claustrophobic and uninhabitable. I asked to see another room and was told that this is what I had booked and there were no other single rooms. It was also pointed out to me that I had seen pictures on the web. The entire tone of this encounter was aggressive and unpleasant. I have never done this before, but I walked out of the hotel and found somewhere else to stay.

I am not sure if I caught the owner on a bad day or if there is an issue with women? Either way I found my treatment unacceptable.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank k2102
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We looked at many different double rooms in Istanbul, but when we found the Chora guesthouse we knew we wanted to stay there. The guesthouse is small, intimate and in the perfect location. We stayed in a double room on the 2nd floor that overlooked the sea and it was perfect. It had a sea view, 3 huge windows, excellent ac and great wifi. The owner works hard to keep all his customers happy. It is very clean and breakfast is set up each morning for you when you wake up. We were honestly sad to leave this little guesthouse because of what a nice stay it was, especially when you are spending the day in the bustling city of Istanbul. We highly recommend it and would stay again next time we come to Istanbul.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed the Standard Double Room with Sea View for 3nights. This guesthouse provides following 4 god / bad points. 1. Good one is the extremely beautiful sea view. You can enjoy it at the window of #303 "through the public space". It means the location of #303 is just a little bit abnomal, but it is not a big problem. 2. Another good point is the master is very kind to the guests. He was patient to the misunderstanding of me. 3. Another good point is the breakfast including the fabulous bread, which is provided soon from a bakery.
4. The only bad point is Wi-Fi. Don’t think you can use it whenever you like. Connection was succeeded only 2 times out of 100 times tries because of the guesthouse’s machine problem.

Room Tip: Choose #303, and you can keep the fantastic sea view all to yourself when nobody is at the public sp...