“So totally worth it”
Review of Yakamoz Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Istanbul
Yakamoz Guesthouse
Ranked #335 of 1,092 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This being my first trip to Istanbul, and not knowing any Turkish, I was a little nervous about staying in a tiny little hostel. Completely unfounded nervousness. This was an amazing hostel that deserves attention.

STAFF: 24-hour reception which is great, but that's only a minor perk compared to the rest of the staff. The staff was incredible! They were so friendly and personable, more so than any other hostel I've ever stayed at. Instead of hanging out in my room as usual, I found myself hanging out in the reception area a lot, just chatting with the guys there. They were a lot of fun to hang out with and they offered me free tea all the time.

FACILITIES: Sparse, but decent. Free breakfast was nice. Never had a problem with the WiFi, which was great.

SECURITY: Lockers in-room (provide your own lock). That's all I really need in a room.

ATMOSPHERE: See my comments about the staff. Great atmosphere, plus I made a few friends there.

LOCATION: Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are only 2 minutes away. Sultanahmet tram station only 3 minutes. Grand Bazaar an easy walk, or two tram stops away. AMAZING location for the price.

CLEANLINESS: My shower left a lot to be desired, plus it didn't look like they cleaned under the beds often, but the bed itself was clean.

VALUE FOR MONEY: So totally worth it. Such a low price for such an amazing experience. My first trip to Istanbul was so amazing, the hostel being one of the high points! If I make it back to Istanbul in the future, Yakamoz will be the only hostel I will consider. You guys rock!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen R

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was my first trip to Istanbul. I had chosen Yakamoz Guesthouse given (i) its good reviews online (ii) its close proximity to the key sights within Old Town and (iii) it was easy to get to via public transport from the airport which only costed 10 Liras (or EUR 3.3 = 4LT plus the 6LT deposit for the metrocard)

It did not disappoint at all.

My flight to Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport arrived at 4am on a Saturday morning and so I reached the guesthouse really early. I had booked a double-room to check-in on Sat itself, not the night before. However, the reception gentleman was very polite and apologized that my room was not ready because the check-in time was much later at 1pm. Nonetheless, he was very kind and got one of the rooms ready (room 107 if I recall now), which was actually triple-bed room and did not charge me extra for the very early check-in and the bigger room.

The room itself is fairly spacious given it was a triple-room. The furnishings were simple, not new, but everything was clean. The toilet and standing shower area was also not dirty. There was a hair-dryer attached to the bathroom, which worked fine. There is a flat-screen TV; mainly local channels but there were CNBC and Bloomberg with some English programs.

My room was located right between the reception and the main entrance of the guesthouse. While I could hear voices outside, it didn’t bother me very much. In fact, because I am a single female traveller, it gave me comfort that the reception area is always manned and supervised by someone. My room is also located near to the road but there wasn’t much traffic for the 2 nights that I stayed there. It was generally quiet.

Wifi works very well (I was able to watch short video-chips on my macbook without disruption) and the reception is also able to provide tips/bookings should you want any day-tours or airport transfer.

Breakfast was provided (8-10am) and was a Turkish spread of various appetizers (eg cheeses, tomatoes, olives, dates, hard-boiled eggs), bread, milk, coffee and tea. It’s not the most fancy but it felt like I was having breakfast hosted by a family-friend; the whole ambience was very cosy and warm.

The gentleman on duty in the afternoon was very patient to answer my queries on the different types of tour packages and made a few calls to assist me on the pricing and timings of some of the 1day and 2day1night tours. Eventually, I decided not to take up any of the tours and the gentleman was fine and did not show any displeasure. In fact, he asked if I had wanted tea or coffee, seeing that I was quite tired after making all the enquiries. This is what I called good service!!

Overall, I felt safe staying with Yakamoz Guesthouse. As a single female traveller in an Islamic state where women still played traditional roles of home-keepers and are seldom seen alone outside by themselves, I felt like I stood out; local male passers-by, shop salesmen would often stare at me, asking why I am alone and some would chat me up. However, the folks at the reception at Yakamoz were all respectful, helpful and polite.

For the above reasons, I would rate it 5 out of 5.

For the very affordable hostel rates and the exceptional service and safety provided, it has definitely exceeded my expectations. It is right located near where Four Seasons hotel is so the location is easy to find and ideal for sightseeing in the Old Town.

So if you are looking for an affordable, well-located, simple/fuss-free and most importantly, a safe and secured place to stay in Istanbul, I would recommend Yakamoz Guesthouse.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank WP K
Reviewed 8 February 2014

a very nice Hostel, Pleasant atmosphere, Great value for money.Friendly and helpful staff all fluent in English.. Easy access to public transport and close to all tourist attractions.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: the hostel has no elevator..and i always love the higher floor. so its all up to you.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed in a female dorm. I didnt read the reviews. There are no real windows. One is facing the cooridor, the other is closed off n facing an outdoor wall. I have an allergy to mold. There was a lot of mold in the room collected in and behind the air conditioning unit and in the stale moist air of an un-ventilated room. I stayed up all night coughing, sneezing, n miserable. There is dirt under the beds with dust and hair everywhere. The pillows are too old, some yellow, mine was stained, and feel as tho there are wadded up cotton balls in there. My bunk was broken and caused me to fall my first time coming down. There was smoke smell coming in from outside the door from somewhere at night time. Bathrooms are old ok, but they are dirty. Often lacked toilet paper. Mold collected. Breakfast was good but was not topped off when I got there at 940am and never got that way. Even the napkins were empty...not sure the lady who seems to be in charge of this is doing. I travel frequent thru istanbul, there are alot of 10 or 11euro hostels and MOST are superb or very good, and show they r given tlc n run with pride. Those r also close to jagia and blue mosque. This is a serious regret, even if all u meed is sleep...look in my case I couldnt get any, got allergy attack instead, and theres no comfort, the only place to hang out is the horrible room.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank joie g
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very good staff, nice rooms. The upstairs room may be very difficult for elder people but everything else is very good. It's very close of many sightseeing like blue mosque and the aya sofia church, there are many restaurants near the hostel too.

Room Tip: ask for a room downstairs
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2013

the hostel is not too far from sultanahmet mosque and hagia sophia museum, and also from other interesting places like topkapi palace, archeology museum and basilica cistern, you can reach easily metro tram station from this hostel

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Andi_Mulya_Ali
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The location of the guesthouse is amazing. Really close to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, a lot of restaurants, etc. The service was very good, they do not speak very good english but they were very helpful. The wifi worked perfectly in the room. The breakfast was simple, but good. The only problem was that the las ¡t night they changed to another room, and in that room we saw 3 BIG roaches in the few hours we were. A fumigation would be very useful. If it wasn´t for that, I would have give them a 5.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple