“Black Sea fare”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place was hard to find, even given the directions on the website. Once inside though, you find a pleasant atmosphere, and for lunch during the week, it appears to be a popular place to come and talk business.

I was by myself and wanting to get some work done, and this place was quiet enough to do just that, and I never felt rushed. I ordered the stuffed aubergines and the silor along with cornbread and çay and was satisfied with everything I ordered. I would say that the plates are kind of small, so if I hadn't gone with the intention of ordering several things, I may have been disappointed. I particularly enjoyed the white sauce that the silor came in. All dishes including the çay were different than food that you find elsewhere in Istanbul, which is possibly the Georgian influence on Black Sea cuisine, but also there was much attention to detail in the flavors. I was disappointed that they did not offer the hamsı when I was there because they were out of season (I did find some in Nevizade though that were delicious).

I would definitely recommend this spot as a quiet place to eat alone or with others, as you can definitely have a conversation in this atmosphere. I would order several things to share.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My girlfriend and I are on holidays and thought we would try somewhere new, we found in taksim things were overpriced and quality was poor, until we found this place, food was fantastic wine was great and staff were very friendly....would highly recommend

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I come back to this cozy little place off Istiklak Cad. whenever I am in Istanbul. It makes a change from all the kebab places around. Klemuri serves Black Sea specialities (stuffed aubergines, lamb with dried fruit etc.) and can get quite busy in the evening. The crowd is mainly locals: educated, intellectual types. The only time I was disappointed is when I had "hamsili pilaf", rice wrapped in anchovies which they serve on Wednesdays, which just wasn't to my palate. Otherwise, good home-made food. Recommended

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This probably is the best family food joint in Istanbul. Klemuri really deserves to become a worldwide hit. Then again i sincerely hope Klemuri remains a hidden treasure for as long as possible...

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Located in a back street parallel to Istiklal Caddesi, the ambiance of this restaurant is great. It seems to be located in a former house, with decorated ceilings etc and provides for a very relaxed and stylish atmosphere. Food was very nice, we really enjoyed it.