“Great hostel in great location.”

Taksim Lounge Hostel
Ranked #132 of 1,236 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Location was perfect, 5 mins by walk from Taksim Square. Room and bathroom was nice, staffs were very friendly. Breakfast was basic but at least you can have it as much as you want. Considering the price and location there is no better hotel in Turkey.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Khaihoon
There are newer reviews for Taksim Lounge Hostel

Reviewed 26 December 2012

Probably the best-located hostel in Istanbul - less than five minutes walk to Taksim Square.
(By the way - do yourself a favor and don't stay in Sultanahmet unless you have less than three days in Istanbul. You're better off in Beyoglu where things aren't as caustically touristic.)

Basic details: the wifi works, and the bathrooms were fairly clean too. Common room isn't huge, but it works and I met some other travelers there. Breakfast was basic, but flexible on hours - if you wake up late, they'll still let you eat. The 8-bed dorm I stayed in was smallish, but sheets were clean, room didn't get terribly cold (December) and large lockers were available in the room. Good value.

The dudes that run this place are on hand 24 hours a day and are happy to give you some advice on where to go and what to do.

I'm sure there are some other great hostels in the area too, but this one worked for me. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Matt W
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Last winter I stayed for a few days this hostel,it was so clean and cheap.So central location and I just walk to İstiklal Street and Taksim square,There are many bars,restaurants that all kinds of foods Turkish special all other.I can stay again .I enjod my stay.Thanks a lot .

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2012

WOW. I am so disappointed. The situation was quite bad, that it's almost comedic.
We had booked for FOUR/4 nights.
The first night, it was obvious they did not have our booking on file (but we have email and official confirmations from booking.com), but the manager seemed nice at that point and we were shown to our room.

The next day around midday, they started drilling directly into the wall adjacent to the bed head. How do I realise this apart from the migraine inciting thunderous drilling? - the drill actually penetrated the wall a few inches from where my head was laying on the pillow in bed (as a doctor we call this procedure a burr hole..but it's generally reserved for surgical procedures in hospitals, and not a surprise occurence whilst sleeping in bed on a vacation).

The hostel manager was informed. He instantly was concerned ..... for the wall..and didn't apologize, or seem embarassed or ask if i was ok. He told us somebody would come into the room to spackle/cement up the hole in the wall. We laughed it off, and tried to enjoy our holiday.

Soon after we realised, the toilet had a festinating stench coming from the toilet drain. It made us sick, to the point of buying and lighting much incense to overcome it.

The breakfasts in the morning consisted of cornflakes and old bread. No worries, as though it was a little substandard compared to the 18 other hotels and hostels we'd stayed at in turkey, we try to stay humble about these things and again laughed it off.

The drilling continued throughout the day, from outside the hostel, and inside (as they were jackhammer removing the plaster on the walls to expose the natural brick). I videotaped and photographed everything.

This continued all day for day 2, day 3 and day 4.
The renovations had turned into the most extensive job and there was rubble on the stairs and on the floors. The hostel, should have by any western country's standards been closed for renovation. It was incredibly unsafe.

Finally, we cracked on day 4 when I slipped on the marble stairs on all the rubble and electricity/power cords laying on the stairs. There was a thick cloud of dust/smoke from the plaster, and did I mention the electricity and power went out. So there was NO:
1) NO light (we had to use flash lights in the room)
2) No power
3) NO hot water

Then, the dust triggered an asthma attack, just what I needed.
My husband and I realised what we were putting up with was actually a severe safety hazard, and requested a polite word with the manager to inform him of these issues.

His response:
- (non apologetically demanded that we shouldnt care because we should be out of the hostel during the day and not return until night time)
- that we should pay in full because he couldn't see the issue or inconvenience (wowza...! Should this guy be running a hospitality business??)
- We felt very threatened by his attitude and left in order to secure another hotel. We just wanted to leave ASAP.

As we were leaving through the lobby, the dust triggered another asthma attack. I needed my puffer and to get out of the hostel into the fresh air.
The hostel manager refused to let us leave, demanding we pay in full. He did not care a guest/client/customer was having an asthma attack. I angrily asked him to let us go or call an ambulance.

If after reading this, you are still considering going here, you're giving your business to an unkind, greedy, unprofessional human being, when there are tonnes of fantastic turkish people who run hotels\hostels who will do anything they can to make sure you have a comfortable stay. THEY deserve your business. NOT this guy.

I'm a Doctor, my husband is an Engineer, we're pretty easy going people, and we have never experienced any hotel/hostel manager this greedy and the condition of the hotel this bad (and we came to Turkey straight from working in a 3rd world country).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ktotheD
en9in, Guest Relations Manager at Taksim Lounge Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear Guest ,

We checked your booking and could not find it at first because we do not work with booking.com yet.So you had it from different booking agent.
You were supposed to check -out but you extended your stay .But we told you that we need to start renovation and you were only people in the hostel staying.And it was low season so we had to start it.

You were saying you would be outside and it is ok.So we started to do it but your husband came downstairs and told us that we did not expect that much can you make us a discount for that instead of saying my wife is asthma and i am worried about her and we should leave.

and i think you were using your being asthma and even your husband do not care so?

And you forgot to say you were just taking your bags and leaving the door without saying anything .and not paying even the dates you stayed and had no problem.

It is not honest behaviour.And we saw you leaving but you and your husband was using being asthama so much so we could not say anything .

And you forgot to say that this greedy man did not take any money from you!

Reviewed 22 November 2012

First off, great location. Close to trams across golden horn bridge and the lively shopping and restaurants.

Room is comfortable, bathroom had a smell coming from the drain, had to burn incence.

NOW for the good bit. We booked for 4 nights. From the 2nd day, large renovations with jackhammers and drills constantly throught the day. Loss of electricity and plaster all over the floor. By the 3rd day we had had enough and found somewhere else.

The owner was only interested in his money and offered no apology for the noise, dust or safety hazard. The hostel should have closed for renovations.

Did I mention that they almost drilled through the wall where we were sleeping...mere cms from our heads!

It's also normally loud, and breakfast is very basic. I am not a hostel princess.

I wish I could but I would NOT recommend this place to anyone after these conditions and the way they were handled.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank grenda1
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I have been travelling for 9 months and have stayed at many hostels. This is a great, intimate and comfortable hostel very close to Taksim Square and near many great little restaurants and bars.

I don't write reviews however I feel inclined to do so because the receptionist was so kind and allowed me to pop in and out to get at my luggage that I stored there during the day for my late flight out of Istanbul.

As far as hostels go, the standards here were fine - I would not read into the negative feedback from other users - they tend to sound like hostel princesses - it is a hostel, not the Grand Mariott. I would say Taksim Lounge is the best value for money hostel I have come across.

Tom

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The experience was really bad, we asked for a room for 3 person with private bathroom but when they gave us the room it was a 4bed room with shared bathroom.
The bathroom was really uncomfortable and quite dirty , without soap and to have a shower was really a feat. The room was without key and they gave us the key on 2nd day, so we should bring the most valuable stuff with us for the first day
They didn't give us anything else , also the towels were only a dream. The bed linen were dirty with hairs everywhere. And of course the breakfast , I couldn't call actually breakfast, was bad made only of cold milk tea and bread as is.
At the end of the stay we would pay as per our agreement but they decided to multiply the per person fee for 4 people even if we were only three. We had a discussion and after some time we persuaded them that the agreement was for 3 person.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
First of all you were not supposed to stay with us in the other say you did not have booking with us.
You were brought to our hostel by another hostel because of their overbooking.
And our triple rooms were booked before so i took you in four bed room but you paid just for three people.
We did not understand why you complain about that.Cause other hostel paid for the difference.

And i told you that we do not have dorms with private bathroom.You said ok.

And our rooms clean for a hostel and after every check -out we change every sheets even if you stay one day.
And if you came earlier for breakfast you would have seen more than bread ,milk and tea.
Our breakfast time 7:00-10:00 in the mornings not at 13:00 pm.

Thanks anway taking your time to write about us next time we will try more to make you happy.

Regards.