“Lovely hotel, problem with pick up”
Review of Faros Hotel Taksim

Faros Hotel Taksim
Ranked #320 of 1,171 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. The guy at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfy, the shower esp was wonderful. I only stayed one night so I really can't say much about the area other than that it was quiet and the hotel was close to Taksim sq which was very quiet and empty the morning I was there. The only problem I had was that when I arrived at the airport (at 12:45am) the driver was NOT waiting with the other people picking up travelers. I had emailed several times to make sure they had my confirmation and to make sure I knew where the hotel rep would meet me because (as I told them) I would not have my phone to call if there were problems. After an hour a total stranger was kind enough to loan me their phone at the airport so that I could call the hotel. The hotel immediately contacted their rep at the airport who then came out of nowhere and without comment ushered us to the driver waiting outside. No apology or explanation was every given. I get that if I was more savvy I could have figured out the pay phones there or something... but I paid for hassle free pick up and I didn't get it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
farostaksim, Yönetici at Faros Hotel Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking time to write review ,considering our hotel facilities and service , on tripadvisor.

We hope to host you in our hotel again with an unforgettable memories and would be really pleased to see you again here.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I spend 20+ nights every month in hotels and let me tell you that it is rare to find such warm and welcoming service as I experienced at the Faros Hotel Taksim.
I arrived very early (7am) on a morning flight from Singapore and was greeted very warmly by the gentleman at the front desk. He gave me absolutely none of the attitude that you often get in hotels when you arrive much earlier than check-in time. In fact he was apologetic that they were completely full the night before. Why should he have to apologize for this - its a sign of a good hotel if you are full! Anyway he stored my luggage, made me a cup of coffee, took the time to go through a map and make good suggestions for how to spend my day. He really made me feel welcome in a way that you usually only find in a B&B or luxury boutique hotel.
When I came back to the hotel at 12pm (still well before check-in time), he saw me as soon as I walked in and seemed genuinely pleased that they had a room now ready for me.
I remembered thinking to myself "this guy really gets it - he understands what it means to be a hotelier".
Even the man that showed me to my room with my luggage took his time to offer all the same sort of bellman services (showing me the safe, air control etc) that you normally only find at a Four Seasons etc.
The next morning when i checked out it was another guy at the front desk and he was also jsut as friendly and helpful.
The rooms are nice - not overly special but the price is super cheap so they clearly are worth more than the price. The breakfast is a reasonable spread too.
The location is easy walk to Taksim square, including the Metro, so there is really no need to pay for a taxi from the airport as you can take the Metro virtually door to door. Its probably about a 10 minute flat walk from the metro to the hotel with bags. Taksim square is definitely a good location to be in with easy access to shopping, bars, tonnes of restaurants and the Metro, tram and Funicular all connect through there so its like a transport hub of sorts.
So in a nutshell, I totally recommend this place, and apart from the location, its really because of the service.
It should also be noted that I booked a one night only stay, for a really cheap rate online. Normally that would mean that you get the least amount of assistance from the hotel front desk as the usually figure you arent that important to them - but not this hotel.
Thankyou very much Faros Hotel, you really were a great welcome to Istanbul for my first time!

Room Tip: Maybe ask them if there are rooms away from the loudspeakers from the mosque nearby - I was woken qu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with the products and service we are offering. Faros Hotel team would like to thank about your extremely valuable observation about our hotel facilities and services provided by our staff.

All our staff sends you the warmest regards and hopes to see you soon again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I went to this hotel not because it was cheap but because it was recommended by someone I trusted on Trip Advisor! We stayed two nights. Took a trip to Konya (left luggage there) and returned for two more nights. For the time I was staying there it was the same price as the Hilton via Trip Advisor and Expedia. The rooms were small and resonant of New York City, small. The place was clean. The breakfast was good. The staff were helpful and nice and honest. The small rooms were fairly ingeniously laid out maximizing the use of the space. The bathroom was particularly cool with an opaque glass door on the shower and to the bathroom itself, shower on opposite side from toilet, etc.The restaurant owned by the same hotel about two blocks away is a good kebab place with pide, kebab, and middle eastern felafel, salads -- of course lentil soup … and the 15 percent off coupon is a good deal. For the negative: The whole place smelled like the aftermath of a college beer party to me and the decor is kind of barracks-ish. Grey paint. Cement stairs. Tiny elevator. No lobby or reception to speak of -- a staff person sits at a computer behind a table as you walk in. It looks makeshift. There is really no food on site except for breakfast and no spa services (I'm just talking about hotels at the same price point in the same neighborhood seem to have those). In terms of location, it is about two blocks from Taksim square but not in the exact heart of the hotel and shops district. It is across the street from an Otopark and next door to some kind of industrial building. There is no view. You can walk up a few stairs across the street (that smell of piss -- I held my breath after the first time) and get to another street with a Doner kebab place (with chicken doner -- although don't eat the hamburger, my friend got food poisoning from that and we saw the owner sticking his fingers into the tray of french fries and licking those fingers before helping himself to more fries … ), an all night restaurant that has hookah and sometimes a DJ (when the DJ was there the place was packed and it felt like a rockin' mostly gay bar, lots of energy -- with men dancing together, some quite suggestively to Allah Akbar music … odd combo to be sure). The bar was cool because the ceiling could be retracted to let out smoke -- which they did whenever it got too smoky. Pharmacy. Grocery store. Overall, the hotel-and location / neighborhood-- met our needs, but I left feeling like we could have gotten a better ambiance, more space, more amenities, for the money.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to me to be the same price when we were there, but I want to say the "01&q...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katthewolf

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Faros Hotel Taksim and for taking time to write us.

Please note that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedbacks such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. I wish you were in touch with me or any management member during your stay concerning your complaints. We would try to do our best for you.

We wish you all the best for your life in hope to see you with us again.

With My Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Friendly staff, decent rooms, good location - all you can ask for from a hotel, really! Traveled as part of a big group and they were very welcoming, and understanding despite the fact that none of us could speak Turkish.

1  Thank danecobain
farostaksim, Guest Relations Representant : Neda Sarvari at Faros Hotel Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you to share your ideas and experience that you had in our hotel. As I understood, your stay here was pleasant which is something really gratifying to us.

Be sure that we will do our best in your next stay here to make you more satisfied.

We wish you happiness and look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Doesn't look much from the outside, but inside it's friendly, contemporary and cool, with some nice little touches of detail. I stayed on the top floor in a suite, which had some great creature comforts and an impressive view. Being just off Taksim Square is a good place of town to stay in, there's lots of cool bars, shops and restaurants that stretch a km or so down to the sea. What really sets this hotel apart though was the staff. Neda is a great asset to the hotel, she spoke great English and looked after us really well. We were a large group of over 30 lively people and all the staff were really friendly, helpful and attentive. The breakfast was pretty good to. This hotel makes you feel really welcome and is great value for money.

Room Tip: If the top floor is free, there's a great couple of rooms up there. Ask Neda for advice on where...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your comments. We are very pleased to hear your satisfaction wıth the hotel facilities and services provided by our staff.

The comments are encouraging and will help us a great deal to harmonize our services towards the creation of a more satisfying customer base.

We would be honoured to provide you and your family members a more personalized and friendly service on your next and subsequent visits to our hotel.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We arrived at the hotel with a warm welcome for our very big xmas trip group of about 35 people. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times making it easy whenever possible to point us in the right direction.
The rooms were brilliant, clean and spacious with everything you would need provided. All in all a brilliant and easy stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
farostaksim, Guest Relations Representant : Neda Sarvari at Faros Hotel Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We wish you happiness and look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our annual overseas Xmas jaunt with my creative agency. Purely fun and no work. The hotel were brilliant, very accommodating and the rooms had everything you would need, including hair dryer, safe and shampoo, shower gel and body lotion! V close to Taksim square

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
farostaksim, Guest Relations Representant : Neda Sarvari at Faros Hotel Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Let me , thank you for your nice review and the time you spent to write it.It was a real pleasure to host you in our hotel and is still a honor for us to count you as our guests.
Me and our team wish you all the best to you and hope to see you again in Faros Hotel Istanbul.

May you have my best regards,