“charmant hotel”

Ranked #835 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
Constantine, Algeria
“charmant hotel”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

From Constantine (Algeria), we (my husband and me) spent 8 days (from 28/10 to 05/11/2013) in this hotel "Sultan". It is a clean hotel with decent staff (especially me as it heats the milk in the morning) and well located .. thank you to you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank toufik b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Other than the location and the receptionist Ercan,forget the rest. I arrived in Istanbul 11:00 and was rushed to find a hotel, through Booking.com I checked 3 hotels which I thought suited me personaly but they were booked out and then I came across Hotel Sultan which was available and boasted top location to the major sites of the city, I`d had a tough flight coming from Dubai and just wanted a shower and rest so I booked. And indeed all the tourist sites are within walking distance from the hotel and as an added advantage the tram passes directly infront of the hotel. Agia Sofia 10 min, Blue Mosque !2 min, underground Cistern right there, you pass Topkapi to get to Agia Sofia so thats only 6min away and the times mentioned are at a leisurely pace no rushing! Restaurant and cafes in every direction and 5 min walk in the other direction and your on Kennedy drive over looking the Bosporus. Truly great location!!
I have to mention the cleaning staff or lack of because seriously I dont think the place has ever been cleaned except maybe for a quick sweep of the floor after each guest leaves. I had a laugh with the bed linen which was to small to cover the bed. But anyway, I`m someone who is used to Luxury but can make my bed in the gutter as well and be thankful that I at least have that so none of this really bothered me. What made me happy was walking out of the Hotel Sultan and being a part of this magnificent city right away, I was only there for 2 nights and managed to see all I wanted to see and still have time for myself, so if your like me and dont mind roughing it just a little then dont let the bad reviews deterr you away from this hotel. Oh and yes the breakfast sucks...but this was my 11th trip to Turkey and it`s always the same every were I have been, olives, cheese, yoghurt and processed meat, wether a top hotel or Hostil breakfast in Turkey is what it is! At least it was offered with love! Thanks Ercan!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jem357
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Hotel Sultan -- Istanbul

A good review, a bad review, or no review at all, this hotel will always have a clientele because of its location and its room rates. Whether it will have a ‘returnee clientele’ -- or whether a ‘returnee clientele’ is even important -- is another matter.

The hotel’s ‘pros’ are as follows:

Location

This hotel is right in the heart of the Sirkeci district of the old city of Istanbul. It’s within easy walking distance of all the major tourist attractions, such as the Hagia Sophia, Sultanahmet Square, Blue Mosque, Cisterns, Spice Market, Grand Bazaar and various museums. It’s also very close to the train station, tram line and ferry piers. And -- in the vicinity, shops and restaurants abound.

Rates

The ‘price is right’ -- lower than many nearby hotels.

Breakfast (see photos)

Breakfast is a standard buffet set-up and is ok.

Free wifi

I’m not sure that this can actually be considered a ‘pro’, as free wifi now seems to be fairly standard in most hotels.

Stored luggage

The hotel does have provision for stored luggage, which is great for guests whose departure from Istanbul is late in the day, as it allows them to go sightseeing after they check out but before they leave the city.

Reception-desk staff

Two guys, Mahmut and Ercan, oversee the reception desk. How these two guys manage to remain as easy-going and as obliging as they do is beyond me. They alternate working 24-hour-a-day shifts/7 days a week! If I hadn’t stayed there as long as I did (3 weeks) and seen it for myself, I’d never have believed it. In my view, these two guys are the hotel’s main assets.

I think that out of the entire staff (including the manager), Ercan is the only employee with a good command of English. (That was fortunate for me, as I don’t understand Turkish.)

As to the hotel’s ‘cons’, I’m a bit ambivalent about listing the ‘cons’ of this place because what’s important to one traveller may not be as important to another. As well, the tolerance of a ‘con’ will also depend on a variety of factors: how long one stays in Istanbul, what one’s budget can tolerate, and, in fact, how long one actually stays in the hotel itself, etc. Nevertheless, these are some of the ‘cons’ of this hotel:

Noise (see photos)

3 sources:

1. Traffic and construction work

This source of noise should really come as no surprise, given the central location of the hotel. However, the double-paned windows do tend to reduce quite a bit of the outside noise.

2. Hotel room doors

A few of the rooms have doors that do no fit properly into the doorframes. Consequently, to ensure that a door is actually closed, a guest must slam the door shut and that results in a huge noise that reverberates throughout the whole hotel.

There are also fairly large spaces under the doors of the rooms, so there’s an additional source of noise from even just the normal conversations of other guests.

3. Other guests

This is the first hotel I’ve ever stayed at that I’ve noticed noise from other guests.

At times, there were babies crying and kids yelling, although in all fairness, that noise was usually short-lived because of parental intervention.

The worst noise came from the 20+-something backpacker types, obviously away from home for the first time. At midnight, some brainless young female was yelling to another, ‘Oh-h-h-h-h, what floor are we on?’ (If she’d looked at the plaque next to the lift, she’d have known what floor she was on.) At about 2 a.m., some young guy was yelling, ‘D-A-V-I-D????’

Laughter and loud chit-chat, especially in the hallways -- ok in the day; not ok at 3 a.m.

Housekeeping

For God’s sake, it doesn’t take rocket science to figure out that men and women have different anatomies!!! For any given visit to the WC, a woman typically uses more toilet paper than a guy does! What’s amazing is that most housekeeping employees are, in fact, women and should be attuned to this reality. But, time and time again, it’s the same old problem: not enough toilet paper.

A female guest will require more toilet paper than a male guest. I just don’t understand why it is so difficult for hotels to understand this and respond accordingly.

Guests shouldn’t have to be trudging down to the reception desk three times within three weeks to ask for toilet paper. It is not the responsibility of the reception-desk staff; it is the responsibility of the housekeeping staff.

I should add that this problem is not unique to the Hotel Sultan. My son and his female roommate had the same problem in their Cairo hotel, and I’ve had the same problem in Beirut and in various hotels in China.

Other ‘potential cons’ (not for me, but maybe for others):
• no lounge (just a breakfast room)
• no view
• no safekeeping facilities, either in the room or at the front desk
• rooms are fairly small and the size of some bathrooms may require a bit of physical dexterity on the part of the guest

Given the pros and cons, would I return to this hotel? I might return for a couple of nights, but certainly not for a couple of weeks.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank starlightShanghai
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I checked-in at this small hotel last 5th-9th Sep. 2012. Hotel is very near to a tram station which is very good. It is also near to the major landmarks of Istanbul like Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. The hotel lacks adequate lightings as it was quite dark. Breakfast was not that good though acceptable. Water hose in their toilets needs replacement. The worst thing in this hotel was the smell of the toilet bowls. The moment you flush it you will smell the foul odor. A big no no. The budget is reasonable indeed.

Room Tip: Go for solo rooms.