“Beware!!!”

Hayriye Hanim Konagi Hotel
Ranked #87 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 19 June 2012

After reading the previous reviews I think we must have stayed at a different hotel!! My initial impression as we were being driven to the hotel was stop the car and take me to another area. The driver said that the area in which this isolated hotel is situated in is to be renovated and will be ok in 2 years time, but at present this area is a derlict slum. We stopped at a large locked gate where you had to ring a bell for entry. Alarm bells started to ring when I noticed CCTV covering the surrounding streets. We were taken to the roof terrace to admire "the view" which to be fair is stunning at night but during daylight highlighted the deprivation of the neighbourhood. I will post photographs of this soon. I expressed concern for my safety and asked to be relocated but the owners refused saying that the payments had gone through but assured us that the area was entirely safe. We are not inexperienced tourists having travelled all over the world, not always staying in "touristy" areas but were not happy here. On our second night we took all reasonable precautions (my husband is ex police) - checked a direct route to the hotel in daylight, returned to the hotel directly after dinner, walked purposefully without attracting any attention to ourselves. I stupidly carried a small handbag with my phone in it as we had been assured that the area was safe but were followed along the road at the hotel which is full of half demolished buildings and as my husband put his hand out to ring the hotel doorbell I was attacked from behind, knocked to the ground in what I believe was an attempted mugging. The staff were excellent in attending to me that night. The following morning I asked to be transferred to a different hotel and the receptionist was excellent in facilitating this but I was angry that despite walking by reception several times whilst this was being arranged neither owner even caught my eye never mind ask if I was ok. In our opinion this area should not have a hotel in it before it has been renovated and would not advise anyone to stay here

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank willowcatUK
HHKHOTEL, Director of Sales at Hayriye Hanim Konagi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Dear Our Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion about our hotel which would be helpful for our potential guests.

That is obvious you felt unhappy during your accommodation with us.However we have realised that you were satisfied about hotel and hotel services upon your review as your complain is not about the property (hotel quality ,comfort,cleaning,services..etc) and also is not about location.

HHK HOTEL is located in the center of Old City because just with in 5 or 7 minutes walking distance to main street and of course 10 minutes to Suleymaniye Mosque. Since our hotel is an old house (was built in 1850) located of course in an old street and for sure not all the houses are renovated like our hotel.

Even if your experience is not about property (about anyone else outside and also no one knows from where to hotel he was following you), all we felt so much upset for your unlucky experience as we would have wished that you could feel yourself at home like great majority of our guests.

We tried and did all to make you feel better and arranged you in another hotel,another room possibility. Your booking was confirmed with non refundable rate planning but we refund the money as paying the other hotel while still you were blaming the property because of a thief !

Because,the customer satisfaction is the real point for our mission and a big problem for us if a guest of us lived a bad experience outside .

We confirmed you that the area is safe.First time,a trouble was happenned like that since we have been working as a hotel(for seven months),we surprised when it happened to you as well,we have never heard from a guest any complain about the area safety before you.

Actually it is not in property's responsibility and not all about the area,as you know a thief can attack someone's bag in any street and also in anywhere of the world(especially after midnight time ,we checked your event time which was recorded by our security cameras).

Thanks again for your comments and sincere warnings !

Regards,

Lutfiye Erkus

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Omer and Burak are genuinely nice bothers who own this delightful hotel and are ever present along with their helpful staff to make a stay a pleasure. Knockout views, beautiful rooms, petite swimming pool and good location- walk or taxi to all the historic must see experiences stands this hotel apart from others similarly priced. 10 out 10 to these enterprising guys.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Ian2009
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The HHK far exceeded my expectations.. I had read the reviews prior to my arrival, as that was what had drawn me to explore this hidden gem of a ´BOUTIQUE HOTEL´.. from the moment the wooden doors open and you are greeted by the friendly and smiling staff you are treated as the royalty that once graced this historical mansion from Ottoman times dating back to 1850. I was welcomed with a refreshing drink whilst waiting to check-in.. the process was faster than i could finish my drink. I was escorted by the lovely and smiling receptionist whom walked with me to my room and showed me around..Attention to detail was well noticed in the rooms and throughout every aspect of the hotel.. The attention given by the owners, whom are on property, daily to make sure the guest are attended to and questions answered.. I enjoy sitting on the terrace above the pool and taking in the sites while learning more about the hotels history and falling in love with Istanbul. It a divine place that once you walk in the doors you don´t want to leave. you are truly made to feel welcomed. The view from all aspects of the hotel are breathtaking. A great place to relax with a nice Turkish wine or the local ´Raki´ and imagine the life and times of Istanbul from historic days... HHK is a enchanting place that will not disappoint.. The hotel, the rooms, the views, the food, location to sites, but most importantly the staff and owners that make HHK different from the rest... I will certainly be returning here... Thank you to all the amazing staff that made my stay a memorable experience and one I will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank princesasOfiaG
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The HHK Hotel was a wonderful experience made even more perfect by the friendly and helpful staff. The room was better than advertised. We were helped even before we arrived when Miss Lutfiye Erkus checked the train schedule for me (and I didn't even ask) and let me know the night train we had planned to take was shut down. This allowed me to book air tickets in advance for a good price. The airport transfer was easy (to the hotel) and they printed our boarding passes when we were ready to leave. The view terrace is a wonderful place to spend the evening with a glass of wine. We used the free Turkish Bath every morning, and ate in the Hotel restaurant for dinner one evening (ask the owner what his favourite meal is. You won't regret it.). Easy walking everywhere and interesting neighborhoods with fun food stands all around. The owners are great and fun to talk to  We will 100% stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank LaVidaBuono
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Don't be put off by the ramshackle streets that lead to the hotel. It is a marvelous hotel although a little out of the way from the main sights (about 10 minutes by foot from the Grand Bazar). Rooms have a great view of the Golden Horn although the room size is a bit small. There is a lovely terrace to sit and enjoy the view over a few drinks. Yes, being in the old city, there are quite a few mosques which start their prayer calls early in the morning, so be sure to pack some ear plugs. The staff is very pleasant and helpful, they responded to all our requests with a smile. The poolside breakfast is generous.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dora_and_Map
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I cannot stop raving about our trip to Istanbul and the 9 days we spent at this wonderful hotel. The hotel owners and their staff truly care about their guests' well-being and are always friendly and gracious. We loved the spectacular view from the hotel, from both of our rooms and the terrace, pool, and dining area. When our local tour guide came to meet us at the hotel he was blown away by the view and told us we shouldn't bother going to the Pierre Loti Cafe (famous for its view of the Golden Horn) because the view at the HHK was so much better. Each day we began and ended on the hotel's terrace. It was that spectacular. The hotel has comfortable seating and you can have your drinks and meals there. How fun it was to swim in the pool and be able to see the Golden Horn, Galata Tower and Bridge, and the Bosporus. The hotel is so nice that it was fun to just stay there and relax, rather than spend every minute seeing the sights. The rooms are great, renovated to maintain their gilded Ottoman charm, with crystal chandeliers, high ceilings, gold trim, comfortable beds, and modern amenities. The staff speak English and will call cabs and arrange tours, as they did for us. The hotel is ideally located just below the Sulemaniye Mosque in Old Town, close to the Galata Bridge, Spice Market, and a street filled with great street food. All of those places and more can be easily and quickly walked to. The hotel serves drinks and food in addition to the included breakfast, and there are other restaurants nearby, such as Daruzziyafe adjoining the mosque, and Hamdi near the Spice Market. The hotel is not located in the main hotel zone, which pleased us because it means you can more easily experience real Turkish culture. The hotel sits in a neighborhood of original wood Ottoman homes, many of which, like the hotel, are being renovated. In the meantime the streets are full of life. One night we heard the music of what we were told was a Roma wedding. We loved walking the main street below the hotel where everyday Turkish life was at full pace. That nearby street contained our favorite Turkish Delight store, Altan Sekerleme. It is full of other authentic eating and shopping experiences that we enjoyed. One should note that the walk back uphill from that street is steep, but again, the view that hotel has makes it more than worth it. The HHK Hotel is simply wonderful.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Golden Horn so that you have that great view.