“HHK Hotel, Istanbul”

Hayriye Hanim Konagi Hotel
Ranked #72 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 22 June 2012

It is an oasis of calm in a busy city. The view is excellent, and having breakfast outside or a drink on the sun terrace is lovely. The rooms are beautiful, and the hotel has been converted perfectly. Most of all, the staff are perfect - friendly, courteous, and very helpful. We were even given Turkish Delight as a present when we left! This is a great hotel, cannot fault it (although it is on quite a steep hill, but taxis are plentiful and cheap).

Room Tip: Make sure to book a sea view room, ours had five massive windows
3  Thank Michellevr
There are newer reviews for Hayriye Hanim Konagi Hotel

Reviewed 21 June 2012

excellent place to know this city, absolutely recomendable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Virgina R
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My wife and I went to this beautiful oasis in the middle of a rather shabby neighbourhood for our honeymoon. Rather than stay in a typical hotel I chose this spot because it seemed a good idea to stay in a hotel that let us completely experience the amazing city that Istanbul is. I'm so glad it turned out that way. Footsteps from Suleimaniye mosque and the Galata bridge, the hotel is located very centrally. You can walk to the Eminonu station which is an offshoot to most of what you need to see in Istanbul. Take a tram to Kabatas which takes you to new Istanbul or take a tram to Gulhane (Hagia Sophia, Topkapi) or Sultanhamet (Blue mosque) or Beyazit (Grand Bazaar). The hotel itself offers sensational views and sitting in the middle of a sea of mosques, the call to prayer is the time to be standing in the rooftop balcony with a cup of "Cai" in your hand. The rooftop balcony is a beautiful place to cuddle with your loved one at night time as your eyes gaze on the magical view of the golden horn, bosphorus and the sea of marmara combined. Breakfast time is another treat where u can sit facing towards this view with ur travel guide and plan ur day as you sip your Cai or have fruit. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They always seem to be a good mood and free to listen to your concerns. Now to the room situation. We asked for the superior sea view room but upon arrival were given a different room. The view of this room wasnt the best but the room was quite big and since we were on our honeymoon, the view from the room was not a major concern. =) The view from the hotel balcony fulfilled our need for it.
Last but not least the washroom! It was amazing! Best hotel shower ever! And the rest was good too. My wife was so happy, she stated that the shower more than made up for the lack of view from our room. Just for the reviews sake, i would like to point out a couple of things that might be useful.
Make sure you know your way and make a direct walking route from the hotel to the main avenue. It can be tricky at night. We got lost one night and had to walk through a couple of scary streets. Also, the balcony closes at 10:30 pm since there are rooms underneath. The breakfast was okay and filling. However it could be improved.
Overall, excellent stay and a memorable experience. We had a dream honeymoon and this hotel was part of it! If you want to truly experience the old city and walk through neighbourhoods and mingle with locals, this is the hotel to do that. If you wish to stay detached and superficially take a look at the landmarks and dont feel comfortable getting too close to the action then stay in new Istanbul. Thank you HHK for making this a memorable trip!

Room Tip: Choose the superior sea view room or the suite. Other rooms might be a bit small.
4  Thank MS0911
Reviewed 19 June 2012

After reading the previous reviews I think we must have stayed at a different hotel!! My initial impression as we were being driven to the hotel was stop the car and take me to another area. The driver said that the area in which this isolated hotel is situated in is to be renovated and will be ok in 2 years time, but at present this area is a derlict slum. We stopped at a large locked gate where you had to ring a bell for entry. Alarm bells started to ring when I noticed CCTV covering the surrounding streets. We were taken to the roof terrace to admire "the view" which to be fair is stunning at night but during daylight highlighted the deprivation of the neighbourhood. I will post photographs of this soon. I expressed concern for my safety and asked to be relocated but the owners refused saying that the payments had gone through but assured us that the area was entirely safe. We are not inexperienced tourists having travelled all over the world, not always staying in "touristy" areas but were not happy here. On our second night we took all reasonable precautions (my husband is ex police) - checked a direct route to the hotel in daylight, returned to the hotel directly after dinner, walked purposefully without attracting any attention to ourselves. I stupidly carried a small handbag with my phone in it as we had been assured that the area was safe but were followed along the road at the hotel which is full of half demolished buildings and as my husband put his hand out to ring the hotel doorbell I was attacked from behind, knocked to the ground in what I believe was an attempted mugging. The staff were excellent in attending to me that night. The following morning I asked to be transferred to a different hotel and the receptionist was excellent in facilitating this but I was angry that despite walking by reception several times whilst this was being arranged neither owner even caught my eye never mind ask if I was ok. In our opinion this area should not have a hotel in it before it has been renovated and would not advise anyone to stay here

7  Thank willowcatUK
HHKHOTEL, Director of Sales at Hayriye Hanim Konagi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Dear Our Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion about our hotel which would be helpful for our potential guests.

That is obvious you felt unhappy during your accommodation with us.However we have realised that you were satisfied about hotel and hotel services upon your review as your complain is not about the property (hotel quality ,comfort,cleaning,services..etc) and also is not about location.

HHK HOTEL is located in the center of Old City because just with in 5 or 7 minutes walking distance to main street and of course 10 minutes to Suleymaniye Mosque. Since our hotel is an old house (was built in 1850) located of course in an old street and for sure not all the houses are renovated like our hotel.

Even if your experience is not about property (about anyone else outside and also no one knows from where to hotel he was following you), all we felt so much upset for your unlucky experience as we would have wished that you could feel yourself at home like great majority of our guests.

We tried and did all to make you feel better and arranged you in another hotel,another room possibility. Your booking was confirmed with non refundable rate planning but we refund the money as paying the other hotel while still you were blaming the property because of a thief !

Because,the customer satisfaction is the real point for our mission and a big problem for us if a guest of us lived a bad experience outside .

We confirmed you that the area is safe.First time,a trouble was happenned like that since we have been working as a hotel(for seven months),we surprised when it happened to you as well,we have never heard from a guest any complain about the area safety before you.

Actually it is not in property's responsibility and not all about the area,as you know a thief can attack someone's bag in any street and also in anywhere of the world(especially after midnight time ,we checked your event time which was recorded by our security cameras).

Thanks again for your comments and sincere warnings !

Regards,

Lutfiye Erkus

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Omer and Burak are genuinely nice bothers who own this delightful hotel and are ever present along with their helpful staff to make a stay a pleasure. Knockout views, beautiful rooms, petite swimming pool and good location- walk or taxi to all the historic must see experiences stands this hotel apart from others similarly priced. 10 out 10 to these enterprising guys.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Ian2009
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The HHK far exceeded my expectations.. I had read the reviews prior to my arrival, as that was what had drawn me to explore this hidden gem of a ´BOUTIQUE HOTEL´.. from the moment the wooden doors open and you are greeted by the friendly and smiling staff you are treated as the royalty that once graced this historical mansion from Ottoman times dating back to 1850. I was welcomed with a refreshing drink whilst waiting to check-in.. the process was faster than i could finish my drink. I was escorted by the lovely and smiling receptionist whom walked with me to my room and showed me around..Attention to detail was well noticed in the rooms and throughout every aspect of the hotel.. The attention given by the owners, whom are on property, daily to make sure the guest are attended to and questions answered.. I enjoy sitting on the terrace above the pool and taking in the sites while learning more about the hotels history and falling in love with Istanbul. It a divine place that once you walk in the doors you don´t want to leave. you are truly made to feel welcomed. The view from all aspects of the hotel are breathtaking. A great place to relax with a nice Turkish wine or the local ´Raki´ and imagine the life and times of Istanbul from historic days... HHK is a enchanting place that will not disappoint.. The hotel, the rooms, the views, the food, location to sites, but most importantly the staff and owners that make HHK different from the rest... I will certainly be returning here... Thank you to all the amazing staff that made my stay a memorable experience and one I will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank princesasOfiaG
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The HHK Hotel was a wonderful experience made even more perfect by the friendly and helpful staff. The room was better than advertised. We were helped even before we arrived when Miss Lutfiye Erkus checked the train schedule for me (and I didn't even ask) and let me know the night train we had planned to take was shut down. This allowed me to book air tickets in advance for a good price. The airport transfer was easy (to the hotel) and they printed our boarding passes when we were ready to leave. The view terrace is a wonderful place to spend the evening with a glass of wine. We used the free Turkish Bath every morning, and ate in the Hotel restaurant for dinner one evening (ask the owner what his favourite meal is. You won't regret it.). Easy walking everywhere and interesting neighborhoods with fun food stands all around. The owners are great and fun to talk to  We will 100% stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012