“An intimate b&b in the heart of Sultanahmet”
Review of Oba Hotel

Oba Hotel
Ranked #24 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Stroud, United Kingdom
“An intimate b&b in the heart of Sultanahmet”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a week in early November 2012. The interior is decorated to a high standard, and is impeccably clean. Our room, though not big, was comfortable, and, even though it overlooked the street, was quiet. Breakfast was good, with the occasional surprise being introduced by the owner. Said owner is very affable, and helpful, full of good ideas about how, and where to spend your day. We were very touched to be invited to his daughter's birthday party, on a boat - which we were unable to accept. Nothing was too much trouble for him.
Only one big grouse: insufficient soundproofing between floors and between rooms, but we understand that they will be working on this.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I heard about this B&B thru a Turkish friend in Ankara. At first I was not convinced of staying at a B&B when I had other choices like the Hilton or the Crowne Plaza, but this friend told me he had great experiences there so I give it a try and I simply loved the place.

First, the owner, Ismail, answered the phone and let me know that he could arrange to have me picked up by a car instead of taking a cab. Upon my arrival at 8:30am, they offer me free complimentary breakfast. After the breakfast, they explained to me that my room was not ready but they could hold the luggage in a safe place and give me a map with attractions. I only had 48 hrs for Istanbul, so I had to make the most of my trip. He offered to book a tour for the next day. First day he recommended me some nearby attractions, and by nearby I meant very, very close. the blue mosque was just about a 5 minute walk, the grand bazar also just a 5 minutes walk. So I could go, buy things at the Bazar and come back to store my new purchases.

Every guest was very nice to me, some newly weds were staying there too.

Highly recommendable. Next time I'm in Istanbul will be for just a day coming in a cruise but defiantly will stop by just to say hi to those guys.

Fabian de la Fuente

Room Tip: No pool or fitness centre, it is a B&B
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 17 February 2013

very nice renovated and good hotel in the old city. The rooms are small (bathroom is for one person at the time) because it is in a old Ottomaans house, the rooms are also a bit noisy.. But the rooms are very comfortable and good equipped, The beds are very good.
The owners are very helpful to organise the airport shuttle or organize excursions.
The breakfast is for Turkish standards good.

when we go back to Istanbul we will stay in this hotel.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Very nice and clean hotel, good breakfast and very very comfortable bed. Just was little bit noise from outside, but as Istanbul very old city, it´s always like this and ofcourse it´s not a hotel problem. Very friendly staff. I have seen many hotels, this one was very good option. Thank you for my stay in Istanbul.

Zuerich
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My boyfriend and I had a perfect first stay at the Oba Hotel and will definitively come back soon!
The location is great if you don't know the city and want to discover its highlights just walking through its historical center.
The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The stuff is very helpful, nice and they helped us with the airport transfer.
I can definitively recommend the Oba Hotel!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

After being to Istanbul many times on business this was my trip to Istanbul with my wife. This is a lovely hotel - great location - very nice and welcoming people. It is relaxing, very clean and nothing is too much trouble for the owners - would definitely go back

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We came for a city trip with our 17-month old daughter and 5 other adult friends. The location of the hotel was great because we could come with public transport and see the sights by foot in two days. It is renovated and extremely clean (I remember the smell of the fabric softener after the room was made), has all amenities you need (TV, WiFi, AC&central heating "rainforest" tap in the shower, kettle with tea&coffee, minibar, complimentary water etc.), firm beds. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and amicable, everyone was infatuated by our little girl and gave her toys, drinks etc. Similar things happened out in the town. We had a great experience in Istanbul and would highly recommend this hotel - a definite winner.

Room Tip: Even though it's renovated, it's typical Ottoman mansion - top floors are better to avoid th...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family