“EXCELLENT FOR THE BUDGET CONCIOUS”

Old City Sultanahmet
Ranked #335 of 1,031 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“EXCELLENT FOR THE BUDGET CONCIOUS”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This Hotel is centrally located within walking distance to many of the major tourist attractions. There are many small bistros and restaurants along the way to have some refreshments or small snacks. The place is run well and staff is very friendly. At the top there is the breakfast room overlooking the sea where guests can see ships coming in from other destinations. Fabulous view. Breakfast is great and sumptuous. The rooms are a bit small but hey what do you need other than a toilet, shower and a clean bed to sleep in. You're not there all day anyway. You're out and about. So for me it was sufficient and I was satisfied. I recommend it to anybody travelling on a budget.

Room Tip: Higher up is probably a good idea to escape from the car noise and as well the view over the rooftop...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ralph L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel was in a great location, walking distance to all the sights. The room itself was small but I expected that. There was a single bed and a double bed, however the sheets on the double bed were non fitted single bed sheets and kept coming loose. The bathroom was very small, the towel rack was falling down. At least the shower water pressure was good and they had a lift. The pictures of this hotel made the rooms look a lot better than they were. The entire hotel is in need of renovation. The view from the breakfast room was fantastic, overlooking the sea, however the breakfast itself was lacking. The coffee was good though.
I will not stay here again, it's worth spending a few extra dollars to get a better room.

Room Tip: This room did not have a view. The room next door had a view but was a lot smaller.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Returning from a very hard working trip a colleague and I needed two days in Istanbul to rest and relax. We wanted somewhere that was central, clean and less expensive. This place satisfied all three.
The hotel is small and is run well by staff who are knowledgeable. The location is excellent and as long as you don't mind hills you can walk to all the attractions within 30 minutes. There are good restaurants within 50 meters and a shop next door where you can by water and snacks.
Breakfast is served on the top floor in a glass fronted room with an awe inspiring view. Whilst you eat a great buffet breakfast you can watch ships passing by and see several mosques and minarets. Breakfast includes fresh and dried fruit, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, and bread.
The rooms were pretty small but had all that you could want. The shower worked well and everything was clean. Others have inferred that the beds were not clean. I don't know what they found but I could not fault what I saw.
Staff went out of their way to be helpful and made our stay delightful. For the money I defy anybody to find better value in a big city.

Room Tip: Rooms are on 5 floors but there is a lift. Get floor one if you can and it saves time.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TinbumNorthWales
Almaty, Kazakhstan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I made my booking to old city sultanahmet hotel through hotels.com. few days before arriving,I wrote to hotels.com to reconfirm my booking and I got the confirmation. However when I arrived the hotel, the hotel told me that they have cancelled my booking. The reason was my visa card didn't work when they tested my card. I was not convinced by that as I have done several other bookings with the same visa card and everything was fine except the bookings were done through booking.com not hotels.com. it ended up,I was arranged to other more expensive hotel. I was really unhappy and disappointed with the integrity of the hotel

1 Thank sskgnsr
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

What can I say? Stay in Old City Sulthanahmet completely ruined my experience of Istanbul.

I was severely bitten by bed bugs, I didn't even manage to sleep in the bed, just lied down on top of it for a while. When I demanded to be moved to another room they agreed with hesitation, no apologies were offered, nothing like that. They tried to move me to lower standard room despite my booking being for a sea view.
It wasn't much better in the next room. I counted over 70 bites all over my body, please check the photo of some bites attached.
It's an absolute nightmare to get all my clothes and luggage bug free now, since many of it it's an expensive Merino wool stuff heating or hot wash is impossible. I ruined one garment already worth over 200$.

And all Old City Sultanahmet stuff's reaction was "It's not our fault, somebody must have let the window open and let the bed bugs in!" No discount, no apologies, nothing.
I'm sure that not all the rooms have bed bugs and the location was very good but it's definitely not worth the risk! Absolutely horrible experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Art B
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was stayed here for 5 nights with my wife and 1 daughter.
nice little hotel, quite close to historic sites.
Breakfast ok, great view from the dining area.

Overall its a good hotel for the price. for family ask for 3 bed better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jodhy H
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here with a friend in April for just one night, is a nice little hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful and breakfast was good with a fair variety and an amazing view over the bay and the more residential part of the city. Very easy walking distance to the tourist attractions in Sultanahmet and a few nice restaurants around.
Only problem we had was the taxi driver "not being able to find" the hotel and driving around a bit. Kind of think this might have been a bit of a run around to make us pay more though. We ended up getting out and walking the last little bit, maybe bring a map or something to avoid this.
For the price definitely can't complain about the place, the bathroom was a little run down and needed a good scrub but was clean enough to use and after spending a little more time in Turkey, seemed pretty normal :) Would stay here again if I was passing through Turkey again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends